Author Topic: KM's Paperback (PB)  (Read 132553 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: KM's Paperback (PB)
« Reply #390 on: October 28, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
This level of pedantry is disrupting a fairly interesting debate.

Time to move on.

Are you accusing me of being pedantic... That is personal abuse...

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #391 on: October 28, 2019, 10:33:29 AM »
That is exactly what most Catholics do, turn to their faith and prayer in times of trouble.

What do they do in the good times? 
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline The General

« Reply #392 on: October 28, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »
I assume they give thanks to their god for bequeathing temporary benevolence.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #393 on: October 28, 2019, 10:38:43 AM »
By all the supporting docs I think you will find are written in Portuguese by the translators.  We know from kates book that when she questioned a translator the translator became quite angry.  Without something direct from Gerry just we don't know

KM makes no ref to any initial translation problems with regard to GM and the front door/unsecured patio doors.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline The General

« Reply #394 on: October 28, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »
Are you accusing me of being pedantic... That is personal abuse...
It could now be perceived that you're being pedantic about being accused of being pedantic.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #395 on: October 28, 2019, 10:40:05 AM »
Faith = strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

Which particular words are you referring to?

I don't see any evidence that Catholicism played a significant part in KM's life pre or post MM's disappearance.  Afaik the Catholic church opposes IVF.  By her own admission it is something she uses in times of trouble like I might use a brisk walk in the countryside and a glass of very strong Belgium beer!
As in page #272 "God let them be wrong"  they are the words in this example, but faith is the belief that that will now happen.

"“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove.”" https://www.gotquestions.org/definition-of-faith.html
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #396 on: October 28, 2019, 10:42:49 AM »
I assume they give thanks to their god for bequeathing temporary benevolence.

But KM makes no reference to doing this pre or post MM's disappearance.  It seems to me it is all about using her God in times of trouble which range from conceiving MM in the first instance to finding her thereafter.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »

Possibly pray a little less.
I'm reminded of an article I read recently about Bruce Springsteen and his Catholic faith.
There was a quote from him which is very true.
However I Will have to find it again.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2019, 10:45:36 AM »
But KM makes no reference to doing this pre or post MM's disappearance.  It seems to me it is all about using her God in times of trouble which range from conceiving MM in the first instance to finding her thereafter.
It might read like that but the test is to maintain faith while doing that.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2019, 10:52:05 AM »
KM makes no ref to any initial translation problems with regard to GM and the front door/unsecured patio doors.

Km makes reference in her book to lots of errors in the translations

Offline The General

« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2019, 10:53:09 AM »
There's a whiff of Pascal's Wager in this - the belated pleading or renewed faith in the face of a crisis. Consider the plight of the agnostic hostage, pleading with god for their lives, almost as a final, desperate (and ultimately futile) gambit.

Are the 'religious', when not facing a crisis, giving thanks for general benevolence or mercy from malevolence?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2019, 11:05:23 AM »
There's a whiff of Pascal's Wager in this - the belated pleading or renewed faith in the face of a crisis. Consider the plight of the agnostic hostage, pleading with god for their lives, almost as a final, desperate (and ultimately futile) gambit.

Are the 'religious', when not facing a crisis, giving thanks for general benevolence or mercy from malevolence?

It's obvious to me that at times of crisis... Some turn to god..
It's quite natural. 

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #402 on: October 28, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
It might read like that but the test is to maintain faith while doing that.

So what's in it for God if he only has to listen to peoples' troubles? 

Pre MM's disappearance KM does not refer to religion playing any part in her life other than the normal childhood stuff eg attending Catholic schools, mass on Sundays and going along with what she was told by those around her.  Thereafter she refers to her friend Father Paul Seddon marrying her and baptizing MM.

KM moved away from Liverpool during the 80's when she started her medi degree at Dundee uni.  Upon graduating she then lived in Glasgow, New Zealand and Holland before settling in Leicester but she doesn't mention seeking out churches in these places. 

She does say at times church took a back seat and adds it was always there in the background a source of comfort, refuge and support.  It seems to me its all take and no give in this relationship with God?

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #403 on: October 28, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »
As in page #272 "God let them be wrong"  they are the words in this example, but faith is the belief that that will now happen.

"“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” Simply put, the biblical definition of faith is “trusting in something you cannot explicitly prove.”" https://www.gotquestions.org/definition-of-faith.html

I don't think KM's quote is meant literally eg page 20..."God knows where that come from..." re some childhood idea of wanting to be a haematologist.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #404 on: October 28, 2019, 11:19:44 AM »
Km makes reference in her book to lots of errors in the translations

Do you have a cite?  And specifically a cite for the point under discussion?