Author Topic: KM's Paperback (PB)  (Read 132551 times)

Offline The General

Re: KM's Paperback (PB)
« Reply #615 on: October 29, 2019, 05:33:52 PM »
How so?
You mean why do I think we can't rely on the reviews?
As I said, the very fact that a certain person, in the main, will buy the book from a relatively specific demographic - female, middle-aged, supporter, mother / maternal - skews the data.
I dare say the same is at play with George R. R. Martin's reviews - his fans are skewing the data because they all think all the books are amazing, whether they are or not.
It's a barometer, granted, but I wouldn't hang a hat on it. I haven't even factored in the endemic fraudulence of most online review mechanisms.
The 2nd Youngest Member of the Forum

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #616 on: October 29, 2019, 05:38:51 PM »
You mean why do I think we can't rely on the reviews?
As I said, the very fact that a certain person, in the main, will buy the book from a relatively specific demographic - female, middle-aged, supporter, mother / maternal - skews the data.
I dare say the same is at play with George R. R. Martin's reviews - his fans are skewing the data because they all think all the books are amazing, whether they are or not.
It's a barometer, granted, but I wouldn't hang a hat on it. I haven't even factored in the endemic fraudulence of most online review mechanisms.
Except that this book received hundreds of reviews by individuals determined to rubbish it before they’d even read it.  I saw this with my own eyes, as the clarion call went out around Scepticland on day of publishing to go to Amazon to leave a one star review.  So yes, you’re right in one respect, the reviews for this particular book cannot be trusted because many of them were left by those engaged in a hate campaign against the McCanns.  A similar thing happened to the Summers and Swan book which I don’t suppose you’ve read either as it wouldn’t help to reinforce your biased views. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Erngath

« Reply #617 on: October 29, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »

Now that's what I call above and beyond the call of duty

There are some here who seem to be working towards a Master's degree in the study of said book.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #618 on: October 29, 2019, 05:45:45 PM »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #619 on: October 29, 2019, 05:52:08 PM »
There are some here who seem to be working towards a Master's degree in the study of said book.
I’ll say, and the funny thing is, it’s most devoted schooars are all of the sceptic persuasion, or at least of the “Kate’s book is a pack if lies and full of hatred of the mentally ill” persuasion.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline The General

« Reply #620 on: October 29, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
Except that this book received hundreds of reviews by individuals determined to rubbish it before they’d even read it.  I saw this with my own eyes, as the clarion call went out around Scepticland on day of publishing to go to Amazon to leave a one star review.  So yes, you’re right in one respect, the reviews for this particular book cannot be trusted because many of them were left by those engaged in a hate campaign against the McCanns.  A similar thing happened to the Summers and Swan book which I don’t suppose you’ve read either as it wouldn’t help to reinforce your biased views.
This clarion call seems to have had little impact then, given this overwhelmingly positive review set.
I stand by my assertion that most online review mechanisms are fundamentally flawed and in many different ways.
Summer and Swan? If the Netflix documentary is any indicator, then I wouldn't get to the end of that either (short attention span, low patience threshold)

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #621 on: October 29, 2019, 05:56:42 PM »
You're guessing at best.
No Kate confirms it... It's in hollys quote.. Read it

goes into the 'Nutty' box.  We must assume that most of these letters, though not necessarily all of them, are sent by people suffering from mental
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 05:59:05 PM by Davel »

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #622 on: October 29, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »
This clarion call seems to have had little impact then, given this overwhelmingly positive review set.
I stand by my assertion that most online review mechanisms are fundamentally flawed and in many different ways.
Summer and Swan? If the Netflix documentary is any indicator, then I wouldn't get to the end of that either (short attention span, low patience threshold)
The hate campaign was certainly more effective with the Summers and Swan book, I guess because it sold in fewer numbers than Kate’s so had fewer genuine reviews.  It’s not a bad book at all, it brings much of the detail together in one place, it just really upsets some people who just can’t get their heads around the idea that the McCanns did not toss their child’s body in the garbage.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #623 on: October 29, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »

There a flaw in your reasoning.. If it was true all books would have a 4 or 5 star, rating.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #624 on: October 29, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
No Kate confirms it... It's in hollys quote.. Read it

goes into the 'Nutty' box.  We must assume that most of these letters, though not necessarily all of them, are sent by people suffering from mental
Kate was guessing (assuming) and so were you.  You agreed with the statement/question: "So some sane people sent some nutty ones?"  An assumption is a type of guess isn't it?

I wonder what she thought of the Prank Theory? 
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline The General

« Reply #625 on: October 29, 2019, 06:33:59 PM »
There a flaw in your reasoning.. If it was true all books would have a 4 or 5 star, rating.
....and that, Davros, is what they call in chess 'Yahtzee'.
Not necessarily, if a book only has 5 reviews, all from family members of the author - it's got 5 stars, must be amazing.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #626 on: October 29, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »
Kate was guessing (assuming) and so were you.  You agreed with the statement/question: "So some sane people sent some nutty ones?"  An assumption is a type of guess isn't it?

Def one for the nutty bin

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #627 on: October 29, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
....and that, Davros, is what they call in chess 'Yahtzee'.
Not necessarily, if a book only has 5 reviews, all from family members of the author - it's got 5 stars, must be amazing.
They must have a happy family!
Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #628 on: October 29, 2019, 06:37:55 PM »

I'm commenting on kates opinion... She didn't assume all the nutty ones came from mentally I'll... That's not a guess.. It's kates opinion
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 06:41:35 PM by Davel »

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #629 on: October 29, 2019, 06:49:12 PM »
I'm commenting on kates opinion... She didn't assume all the nutty ones came from mentally I'll... That's not a guess.. It's kates opinion
"So some sane people sent some nutty ones?"  Were they Kate's words?
Moderation