Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237508 times)

AnneGuedes

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #240 on: December 26, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
The cadaver dog only alerted at the back not the front so that's a good indication on where she left from using that hypothesis.
What do you mean, Pathfinder ? Eddie smelt the scent he had been trained to as soon as the (main) door was opened. He alerted on the flower bed, seeming to mean that a body had been lying there for while. Can a cadaver dog follow the trail of a carried body ? Possibly, but how long after ?
Cadaver dogs originate from rescue dogs. Some handlers discovered that air sniffing dogs were repelled by cadaver scent. That gave them the idea of selecting those dogs to send them on disaster places, once the rescue ones had found whoever could be found alive.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #241 on: December 26, 2013, 09:44:56 PM »
The flower bed alerted by Eddie was in the back garden not the front?
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #242 on: December 26, 2013, 09:54:16 PM »
The flower bed alerted by Eddie was in the back garden not the front?
"Back" and "front" are confusing : when you look at the building, actually the north part seems to be the back and the south one the front as long as you imagine the door-window is a door (can be opened and shut from either side).
I don't see how the flowerbed's alert means that Smithman left through the door-window (though he likely did so, dark and desert alley, except for a few steps easy to control).

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #243 on: December 26, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
"Back" and "front" are confusing : when you look at the building, actually the north part seems to be the back and the south one the front as long as you imagine the door-window is a door (can be opened and shut from either side).
I don't see how the flowerbed's alert means that Smithman left through the door-window (though he likely did so, dark and desert alley, except for a few steps easy to control).

Yes I understand what you mean, it can get confusing. Yeah back means path side/tapas side. To get to the flower bed you have to descend the stairs into the garden so unless Madeleine fell from the balcony, she would have to be moved there before leaving IMO. Check coast is clear scenario.

p.s. also interesting scent indicated outside parent's bedroom patio doors and nothing at the main back patio door. Eddie was very interested in sniffing that wall/climbing plant. Hypothesis - she left the apartment from the wardrobe through bedroom patio door.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 10:10:37 PM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #244 on: December 26, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »
Yes I understand what you mean, it can get confusing. Yeah back means path side/tapas side. To get to the flower bed you have to descend the stairs into the garden so unless Madeleine fell from the balcony, she would have to be moved there before leaving IMO. Check coast is clear scenario.

p.s. also interesting scent indicated outside parent's bedroom patio doors and nothing at the main back patio door. Eddie was very interested in sniffing that wall/climbing plant. Hypothesis - she left the apartment from the wardrobe through bedroom patio door.
If Madeleine had fallen from the balcony, she should have remained there at least for an hour for Eddie to alert. A lot of time before finding her. And it could be an accident, sleepwalking, not really neglect.
The order wardrobe corner, balcony, flowerbed seems more plausible. It is possible that rain or cleaning water dragged the volatile molecules towards the flowerbed.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #245 on: December 26, 2013, 10:55:54 PM »
If Madeleine had fallen from the balcony, she should have remained there at least for an hour for Eddie to alert. A lot of time before finding her. And it could be an accident, sleepwalking, not really neglect.
The order wardrobe corner, balcony, flowerbed seems more plausible. It is possible that rain or cleaning water dragged the volatile molecules towards the flowerbed.

I don't believe she fell from the balcony. Agree with you - wardrobe, balcony, flower bed. They took some of the climbing plant as possible evidence. I'm not sure but I haven't heard it was raining that night or morning of the 4th when they were all out searching. I wouldn't think it was water. If she went out the gate she may have been placed down briefly at the flower bed to check all was clear.

Offline John

« Reply #246 on: December 26, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »

It is revealing that the GNR sniffer dogs didn't find her scent at the patio door.
How do you know that, John ?

Didn't all the dog handlers give statements to the effect that her scent was only detected from the front door.  Apologies if I got that wrong as it is a while since I read them.

A carried child will leave virtually no scent and by the time the GNR dogs arrived any residual scent there was was well gone, blown away by the breeze that morning.  My belief is that the scent the dogs detected hours after Madeleine was found to be missing was scent laid down by her as she walked out of the apartment with her parents.

Ergo, if she had merely walked out the patio door and down the steps to the road the sniffer dogs would have been on it instantly.

What Eddie found in the flower bed was probably cat poo.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:23:28 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #247 on: December 26, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
she may have been placed down briefly at the flower bed to check all was clear.
This flowerbed had no flowers when I saw it, it's more leaf-mould that would stick.

Offline John

« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2013, 11:33:43 PM »
The flower bed was visible from the tapas, no self deserving abductor would have risked that.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #249 on: December 26, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »

Didn't all the dog handlers give statements to the effect that her scent was only detected from the front door.
No. They likely ignored that the door-window had been left open and used like a door.

A carried child will leave virtually no scent
Why ? I spoke to a handler and he said the carried child would leave scent, a fortiori if barefoot.
and by the time the GNR dogs arrived any residual scent there was was well gone, blown away by the breeze that morning.
The first dog to pick up her scent did it at 2am.

My belief is that the scent the dogs detected hours after Madeleine was found to be missing was scent laid down by her as she walked out of the apartment with her parents.
When ? And why would that scent be protected from the wind ?

Ergo, if she had merely walked out the patio door and down the steps to the road the sniffer dogs would have been on it instantly.
Perhaps but only if the door-window had been opened.We'll never know.

A monkey escaped from casa Niobe. Perhaps it died there.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #250 on: December 26, 2013, 11:37:56 PM »
The flower bed was visible from the tapas,
Are you kidding ?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #251 on: December 26, 2013, 11:54:46 PM »
That's what I was thinking. It is impossible to see the flower bed from the tapas bar.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:57:18 PM by pathfinder73 »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2013, 12:22:23 AM »
That's what I was thinking. It is impossible to see the flower bed from the tapas bar.
It's also impossible to see from the tapas bar or from the bottom of the steps someone lying on the balcony, in front of the south bedroom.

Offline sadie

« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2013, 12:42:37 AM »
How do you know that, John ?

Didn't all the dog handlers give statements to the effect that her scent was only detected from the front door.  Apologies if I got that wrong as it is a while since I read them.

A carried child will leave virtually no scent and by the time the GNR dogs arrived any residual scent there was was well gone, blown away by the breeze that morning.  My belief is that the scent the dogs detected hours after Madeleine was found to be missing was scent laid down by her as she walked out of the apartment with her parents.

Absolutely right John.  Anne you are off the mark on all these points.

However I think that Anne is correct that the garden bed was NOT in view of the Tapas restaurant because the walls and hedges to the walkway between the apartments and the tapas restaurant would have prevented that view.

Let's not forget that 5A was built out from a hill.  The front entrance was at ground level, but the rear was raised to almost first floor level.  Remember the steps up, eleven IIRC.  A modern house often has 13 steps up, between floors, and each is usually about seven inches high.  These steps seemed fairly normal in height so presumably the back of the patio was about 77" above the garden immediately below.

The garden then further sloped down towards the walkway

Offline Benice

« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2013, 02:28:30 AM »
If Eddie alerted at the flower bed and knowing that Eddie could detect scent from a couple of feet underground then why didn't they dig down?
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal