Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237576 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #300 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:29 PM »
It means he was being very careful with his words, like everyone else involved in this case. For obvious reasons.

That's all we can say.

Because none of us are experts.
the only expert re eddie and keela is grime..    the evrd alerts were not corroborated and have no evidential value...according to grime

Lyall

« Reply #301 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:22 PM »
the only expert re eddie and keela is grime..    the evrd alerts were not corroborated and have no evidential value...according to grime

Clearly that's the case in Portugal at the moment yes.

But you also know he since gave evidence in a courtroom in Detroit.

Did you guys try to get the transcripts from that trial yet? I keep saying you ought to.

Offline sadie

« Reply #302 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:24 PM »
Clearly that's the case in Portugal at the moment yes.

But you also know he since gave evidence in a courtroom in Detroit.

Did you guys try to get the transcripts from that trial yet? I keep saying you ought to.
If they are so important, why dont you get them Lyall?

Lyall

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »
If they are so important, why dont you get them Lyall?

Because it's not me trying to destroy the man's reputation.

Not saying you are or have, but some people here have repeatedly.

Offline Benice

« Reply #304 on: February 15, 2014, 03:14:57 AM »
Can you say with absolute certainty ferryman that what the dogs indicated was wrong ?

If so, provide proof.

The dogs indications were not necessarily wrong.  It is the interpretation of those indications by some people which is wrong and which ignores everything  Martin Grime tells us about his dogs.

According to Martin Grime - a dog alerting to a cadaverscent is not  proof that a body was ever in that spot.

As someone who demands 'absolute certainty' I'm surprised that you should decide to ignore the man who knew most about the abilities of his dogs.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

stephen25000

« Reply #305 on: February 15, 2014, 08:09:16 AM »
The dogs indications were not necessarily wrong.  It is the interpretation of those indications by some people which is wrong and which ignores everything  Martin Grime tells us about his dogs.

According to Martin Grime - a dog alerting to a cadaverscent is not  proof that a body was ever in that spot.

As someone who demands 'absolute certainty' I'm surprised that you should decide to ignore the man who knew most about the abilities of his dogs.

However, and rather more obviously, the dogs indications were correct, and the reason dogs are used extensively is that they are extremely reliable.

Hence the attacks by the mccanns and some of their supporters on Martin Grimes. >@@(*&)

In the words of the smirking gerry mccann, ''ask the diogs sandra''

Offline Benice

« Reply #306 on: February 15, 2014, 01:45:31 PM »
Because it's not me trying to destroy the man's reputation.

Not saying you are or have, but some people here have repeatedly.

How can quoting what Grime himself tells us about the abilities of his own dogs be construed as  'destroying the man's reputation?'

AS far as I know  -  Grime has never once used the word 'cadaver' i.e. dead body - only the word  'cadaverscent' - i.e. residual odour from decaying cellular material.  And that is because he is fully aware that in the absence of corroborating evidence -  any such material alerted to could have originated from a dead body OR a live one.  The dog cannot indicate which - and neither can Grime.

IMO Anyone who claims that because of alerts - 'Madeleine died in 5A'  can only do so by dismissing/ignoring the facts given to us by Grime himself and substituting them with their own opinions - which clearly contradict his.     How can that enhance his reputation?

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Redblossom

« Reply #307 on: February 15, 2014, 03:38:10 PM »
How can quoting what Grime himself tells us about the abilities of his own dogs be construed as  'destroying the man's reputation?'

I suggest you research Ferrymans posts for examples of trying but miserably failing to

>@@(*&)

Silkywhiskers

« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
Scent dogs - there are good, better, and almost infallible.

Eddie and Keela were regarded as part of the last group.

A lot depends on the relationship between handler and dog, and PC Martin Grime is the best also.

The dogs were owned and trained by the UK police (South Yorkshire?) and were working members of the constabulary as was PC Grime.

Anyone wondering about their skills should check out the Long Island SK case.

The killing fields were only located because an off duty dog handler took his off duty scent dog for a stroll one day.

Offline carol

« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2015, 11:29:01 AM »

AS far as I know  -  Grime has never once used the word 'cadaver' i.e. dead body - only the word  'cadaverscent' - i.e. residual odour from decaying cellular material.  And that is because he is fully aware that in the absence of corroborating evidence -  any such material alerted to could have originated from a dead body OR a live one.  The dog cannot indicate which - and neither can Grime.

IMO Anyone who claims that because of alerts - 'Madeleine died in 5A'  can only do so by dismissing/ignoring the facts given to us by Grime himself and substituting them with their own opinions - which clearly contradict his.     How can that enhance his reputation?

Help me here:

Cadaver Dogs are trained to locate and follow the scent of decomposing human flesh, that much I know. Having alerted in  5A, are you actually saying that the scent the dog  alerted to was from an alive/dead person? Sort of like someone suffering from gangrene?

Offline sadie

« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2015, 06:02:57 PM »

Help me here:

Cadaver Dogs are trained to locate and follow the scent of decomposing human flesh, that much I know. Having alerted in  5A, are you actually saying that the scent the dog  alerted to was from an alive/dead person? Sort of like someone suffering from gangrene?

Hi Carol

Welcome by the way.

Hope this helps you

http://csst.org/forensic_evidence_canines.html

We call Eddie a Cadavar dog but in actual fact he is a Forensic Search Dog.

However, originally he was trained as a search dog for living humans so he would have been trained as a Decomp Dog  A term used to describe a canine that will indicate when a scent source is living human tissue, blood, semen, urine, feces, and materials that have been handled and worn by humans.

A dog can never be detrained to forget what he has earlier been trained so he is likely to alert to living human tissue, blood, semen, urine , feces and materials that have been handled and worn by humans as well as scents sourced from decomposing human tissue.

What a brilliant nose he has, but it seems that he is flawed because he may alert to living as well as decomposing bodies etc.  It clearly states in the Forensic Search Dog. section that a FSD should never have been crosstrained.

Eddie was.

Forensic Search Dog (The primary focus of this paper)
A canine that has been specifically trained to indicate a scent source as being from decomposed human tissue. Such animals are also trained to exclude (deconditioned to) the scent of human urine, feces, and semen and will not alert on residual scent from a live human; and have never been trained to locate any scent other than that of decomposed human tissue.

Hope this helps.  Eddie the dog that we call a Cadavar Dog is actually Forensic Search Dog and a Decomp Dog.

Because of this he might alert to living matter, such as blood, urine, feces semen etc from a living person as well as Decomposed matter from a dead person

Sorry, but because of his cross training it seems that this brilliant dog, Eddie, wasn't up to the task in hand.

He was also trained on dead pigs, so it is likely that he would alert to Dead pig, I think.

It is a complicated subject and we are still learning.   Hope this helps you. 

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2015, 07:35:01 PM »
I thought Eddie was trained by Grime. Who trained him first in another role?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline sadie

« Reply #312 on: August 01, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
I thought Eddie was trained by Grime. Who trained him first in another role?
No idea but it is my understanding that he was a search dog originally.  Searching for living humans in catastrophy areas, like earthquakes, I suppose.

Search dogs are trained to recognise living human scents.

You cant get a dog to unlearn skills that he has already been taught, so Eddie has two skills

.... but unfortunately this means that in the searching for scents of the dead, he is marred because he also will alert to living scents.

Offline mercury

« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2015, 10:12:48 PM »
No idea but it is known that he was a search dog originally.  Searching for living humans in catastrophy areas, like earthquakes, I suppose.

Do you have a cite?

Offline sadie

« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2015, 10:25:33 PM »
Do you have a cite?
No I dont do cites any more cos my eyes will not allow the in depth reading needed.

But there have been mentions of it on here.  I fancy that Martin Grime stated that eddie was a search dog before.

Perhaps some one can remember?