Poll

Peer Reviewed Research suggests that Scent Dogs of all types have a maximunm combined accuracy of about 90%

I Understand and Accept this
3 (50%)
I believe Scent Dogs are more accurate than this
1 (16.7%)
I am not sure
1 (16.7%)
I don't believe Scent Dogs generally are that accurate
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: July 24, 2018, 11:14:43 AM

Author Topic: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy  (Read 237571 times)

Offline Puffin

Re: Poll - Scent Dogs Accuracy
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 07:31:10 PM »
Interesting Puffin but in his seeming agitation to get alot of *facts* and *truths* across, like somebody was chasing his tail or something, he was in one breath telling us Keela is not a cadaver dog and is trained to find human blood, whilst in many other breaths going on and on about how Keela the cadaver dog, can do this, cant do that, Keela the cadaver dog alerts this way, etc. I found that curious, still, food for thought I suppose, thanks for the link
 8((()*/
I am afraid all I know about dogs is they have 4 legs and a  tail, they slobber, poop where they stand, pee on anything that doesn't move, and hump men's legs.  I don't happen to  like them,  as you have probably gathered.   @)(++(*

Yes, me too, I knew nothing about all the types of dogs that help police before reading on this case, truly remarkable creatures, they find things that police and scientists cant
I know nothing about any dogs, breeds or abilities, whether as a police dog or any other use they can be put to.  I have never had one as a pet and never wanted one.
Truth is the property of no individual but is the treasure of all men.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Redblossom

« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2013, 07:41:43 PM »

Offline Victoria

« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »
I'm obviously new to this forum and am aware that this is an older thread, but I would just like to say that having read through it I found it very informative, and it confirmed my skepticism of sniffer dogs' accuracy in general; so thank you, Debunker, and other contributors for compiling the research.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2013, 04:17:04 PM »
My friend has been training dogs since 1974, not to just sniff stuff out, but for films and advertisements too.

I asked her about the accuracy of the sniffer dogs, and she told me she would say if they indicate then it is more likely 100 percent accurate. They go for rigorous training, and if they fail once they are never used again.

I will say this i have a jack russell from a pup. She started to want to lick my left leg and foot it was quite bizarre. A few weeks afterwards I lost the use in my left leg, and eventually after lots of tests was diagnosed with MS....weird.

Also dogs are used in sniffing out cancers very successfully too and are even trained to alert someone who is going into diabetic coma etc. Some diabetics actually have these dogs now to alert them. Dogs help blind people live a good life, they use their keen sight and keen nose to keep these people safe.

They find bodies buried and can sniff out drugs and explosives.

Eddie and Keela were used not far from where i live. They picked up scent of death behind a sofa and blood. The guys wife had gone missing he swore she had run off. Anyway even without a body he was found guilty of her murder.

Eventually he did confess and said he had a row with his wife and struck her hard then strangled her, and he put her behind the sofa until the evening so he could move her. He lived on a big farm lots of acreage. He simply dug a huge hole with digger and put her in an empty large drainage pipe and buried her.....Cadavar dogs had been used in the area, but with the body in the pipe they never got wind of her scent.

I think the dogs are very accurate otherwise one mistake they have gone anyway to be used for other things.

Just because they indicated death and blood in apartment 5A it doesnt mean it was Maddy it could have been from somewhere else a transference or even perhaps brought in by someone..who knows. They cant say who died or who bled just that someone did.

Offline John

« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »

Eddie and Keela were used not far from where i live. They picked up scent of death behind a sofa and blood. The guys wife had gone missing he swore she had run off. Anyway even without a body he was found guilty of her murder.

Eventually he did confess and said he had a row with his wife and struck her hard then strangled her, and he put her behind the sofa until the evening so he could move her. He lived on a big farm lots of acreage. He simply dug a huge hole with digger and put her in an empty large drainage pipe and buried her.....Cadavar dogs had been used in the area, but with the body in the pipe they never got wind of her scent.

I think the dogs are very accurate otherwise one mistake they have gone anyway to be used for other things.

Just because they indicated death and blood in apartment 5A it doesnt mean it was Maddy it could have been from somewhere else a transference or even perhaps brought in by someone..who knows. They cant say who died or who bled just that someone did.

If you are talking about Adrian, he murdered her in the shooting lodge and wrapped her in the curtains there before putting her in the back of his Land Rover.  She was never in the house after being killed was she?  Just checking.

WELCOME BY THE WAY.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:10:04 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Redblossom

« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
My friend has been training dogs since 1974, not to just sniff stuff out, but for films and advertisements too.

I asked her about the accuracy of the sniffer dogs, and she told me she would say if they indicate then it is more likely 100 percent accurate. They go for rigorous training, and if they fail once they are never used again.

I will say this i have a jack russell from a pup. She started to want to lick my left leg and foot it was quite bizarre. A few weeks afterwards I lost the use in my left leg, and eventually after lots of tests was diagnosed with MS....weird.

Also dogs are used in sniffing out cancers very successfully too and are even trained to alert someone who is going into diabetic coma etc. Some diabetics actually have these dogs now to alert them. Dogs help blind people live a good life, they use their keen sight and keen nose to keep these people safe.

They find bodies buried and can sniff out drugs and explosives.

Great first post, welcome!!
I too wonder where you read Prout killed his wife in the lounge.....we kniw Eddie alertes there, so there just be some connection as you say possibly later contamination if not direct

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Maybe i am wrong then, but I read so much stuff about him, I am sure I read that he did have a row with her, struck her and strangled her. Yes he moved her body in the landrover.

I read so much stuff with my MS perhaps i got it wrong or confused, but sure it was right.

Sorry my bag if i am wrong...but he must have killed her somewhere in the house surely?

Need another cigar and dwell over it lol.

Offline colombosstogey

« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Maybe it was in the shooting lodge, they would have had a sofa there wouldnt they, I know i read it somewhere lol.

Offline the slave

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
Tell me, if an explosives sniffer dog reacted on the plane you were about to board, would you?
If a dog trained to sniff out cancer on your breath gave a signal, would you get yourself checked out?
If your own dog kept sniffing one your moles would you get it checked out?
If you answer  no, yes and yes .....?

Aiofe

« Reply #99 on: October 29, 2013, 08:06:12 AM »
Tell me, if an explosives sniffer dog reacted on the plane you were about to board, would you?
If a dog trained to sniff out cancer on your breath gave a signal, would you get yourself checked out?

There are many times when we act on false, incomplete, or doubtful information; it does not mean the source is correct, just that we are careful.

Offline Benice

« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2013, 12:32:39 PM »

The scenarios you cite are not comparable because your examples are simple to check

1  A plane can be searched -. Either there is a bomb on the plane or there isn't.
2  You can take tests.   Either you have cancer or you dont                              .
3.  Your mole is able to be tested and is either benign or malignant.                      1

Not so easy with an alert from a cadaver dog because with only a scent and no physical material residue to test you cannnot know......................................

1. Whose scent it is
2. Whether the scent was deposited recently or decades ago.
3. Whether the scent was from that spot or brought in from elsewhere by cross contamination
4. Whether the scent is from above ground or below ground.
5. Whether the scent is from that spot or has drifted from elsewhere and collected there.
6. Whether it is residual scent from decomposed  body bits, i.e. fingernails, teeth, hair, semen  etc. from a living person, or whether it is from an actual cadaver.

Which is why Martin Grime makes it clear that because of all those variables, without corroborating (testable) evidence it is not possible to prove whether a cadaver had ever been there or not.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Aiofe

« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
The scenarios you cite are not comparable because your examples are simple to check

1  A plane can be searched -. Either there is a bomb on the plane or there isn't.
2  You can take tests.   Either you have cancer or you dont                              .
3.  Your mole is able to be tested and is either benign or malignant.                      1

Not so easy with an alert from a cadaver dog because with only a scent and no physical material residue to test you cannnot know......................................

1. Whose scent it is
2. Whether the scent was deposited recently or decades ago.
3. Whether the scent was from that spot or brought in from elsewhere by cross contamination
4. Whether the scent is from above ground or below ground.
5. Whether the scent is from that spot or has drifted from elsewhere and collected there.
6. Whether it is residual scent from decomposed  body bits, i.e. fingernails, teeth, hair, semen  etc. from a living person, or whether it is from an actual cadaver.

Which is why Martin Grime makes it clear that because of all those variables, without corroborating (testable) evidence it is not possible to prove whether a cadaver had ever been there or not.

Not to mention the proven unreliability of dogs.

Redblossom

« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »
Not to mention the proven unreliability of dogs.

Bit of a bold and general statement there.....if these dogs are proven as you state, yo be unreliable, cite when youre ready, police wouldnt use them, sigh

Aiofe

« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2013, 09:08:30 PM »
Bit of a bold and general statement there.....if these dogs are proven as you state, yo be unreliable, cite when youre ready, police wouldnt use them, sigh

I have read this thread. Have you. All tests have a less than 100% reliability, even dogs. The most telling one, the one that involved cuing where no death scent was used tells me all I need to know.

Redblossom

« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2013, 09:14:27 PM »
I have read this thread. Have you. All tests have a less than 100% reliability, even dogs. The most telling one, the one that involved cuing where no death scent was used tells me all I need to know.
youre entitled to your opinion but it didnt answer my question