Author Topic: Exploring the reasons and motivation behind Portuguese re-opening of the case.  (Read 28168 times)

Estuarine

you seem to have studied the same period of history as I did..palmerston
gce history ..mid sixties..joint matriculation board

Close enough I guess. I always had sneaking admiration for the stance. A bit like the Al Capone friendly words and a gun thing.

Offline Sherlock Holmes

In my opinion the Portuguese review either threw up new material or resulted in a different view being taken of something already archived. I don't buy the international pressure argument.

Personally I think this is correct (only a guess obviously because we have no access to the information).

If according to Portuguese law a case can only be re-opened if meaningful new material presents itself, then we have to assume that that is the explanation here. The AG states that new evidence was found.

I think we have to assume that this is indeed how things happened on this occasion. Otherwise we are  saying that the AG made a false claim in order to pander to SY.

Why would he do that?

Offline Mr Gray

March 2011 Portuguese police began an official review of documents

May 2011 SY

You would expect that negotiations had been taking place before may 20011 to allow SY to review the case,,,Portugal therefore had prior knowledge which enabled them to review first...to save face

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Good points and another to add.

Are not the Portuguese authorities pursuing different leads from Scotland Yard?

Yes, there are teams in  Oporto and Faro , and they are both doing slightly different things. Helena Monteiro is the team leader in Oporto; officers in Faro are said to be supporting SY.

Look at this article from the Portugal News re the official re-opening of the case:

http://theportugalnews.com/news/portugal-orders-re-opening-of-madeleine-case/29711

and note in particular the following paragraph:

It is believed the PJ team in Oporto uncovered shortcomings in the initial investigation conducted by their counterparts in the Algarve and were now actively pursuing the theory that Madeleine McCann was abducted from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Helena Monteiro and her four-man team of detectives, who were handed the case due to their expertise and neutrality, having never worked on it before, are also reported to be keen on speaking to a number of people who were never questioned during the first investigation led by inspectors in the Algarve.[/i]

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:20:07 PM by Sherlock Holmes »

Offline Mr Gray

How rude.

You always kept on about attack the post NOT the poster.

Yeah right!  One rule for you and another for others?

On yer bike Red.

Sadie...worry not..red is desperately trying to save face...as are the Portuguese...both are rattled at the thought of losing face

Offline Sherlock Holmes

You would expect that negotiations had been taking place before may 20011 to allow SY to review the case,,,Portugal therefore had prior knowledge which enabled them to review first...to save face

Yes, one would imagine that talks did take place prior to the Portuguese embarking on their review.

And the matter of face - saving is not to be underestimated here. If the solution to this case comes from Portugal, they will be able to quash once and for all suggestions that things were mishandled.

This way they are giving themselves a head - start on SY, whilst working with them to a certain extend.

A very clever strategy that is surely costing them monetarily - but which they obviously consider worthwhile.

Offline sadie

Sadie...worry not..red is desperately trying to save face...as are the Portuguese...both are rattled at the thought of losing face
Tbh, davel, some of them have lost it already.  Abuse and smart ar*e answers are their only response along with a few twistings of facts.

Others, a few, are still rational and prepared to discuss rather than abuse.  I feel sorry for the rational ones that their input gets hidden behind the ravings of others.

Offline Mr Gray

Tbh, davel, some of them have lost it already.  Abuse and smart ar*e answers are their only response along with a few twistings of facts.

Others, a few, are still rational and prepared to discuss rather than abuse.  I feel sorry for the rational ones that their input gets hidden behind the ravings of others.

I wouldn't bother posting on some forums because the posters have such  a poor grasp of the real facts.. I thought this forum was  a little better but I'm starting to wonder

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Recent conversation removed in entirity for irrelevance.

Estuarine

Yes, one would imagine that talks did take place prior to the Portuguese embarking on their review.

And the matter of face - saving is not to be underestimated here. If the solution to this case comes from Portugal, they will be able to quash once and for all suggestions that things were mishandled.

This way they are giving themselves a head - start on SY, whilst working with them to a certain extend.

A very clever strategy that is surely costing them monetarily - but which they obviously consider worthwhile.

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id372.html

have a peruse of this lot.
Catch you rater arrigator

Offline Mr Gray

the Portuguese appear to be like the Japanese with a strong sense of "face" ....  mentsu..... and loss of face...mentsu wo ushinau...they will not want to admit that any other police force has shown them the way

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Thanks, Estuarine, this is good material. Will have to take some time to read it all properly and get back to you too!

ferryman

Yes, there are teams in  Oporto and Faro , and they are both doing slightly different things. Helena Monteiro is the team leader in Oporto; officers in Faro are said to be supporting SY.

Look at this article from the Portugal News re the official re-opening of the case:

http://theportugalnews.com/news/portugal-orders-re-opening-of-madeleine-case/29711

and note in particular the following paragraph:

It is believed the PJ team in Oporto uncovered shortcomings in the initial investigation conducted by their counterparts in the Algarve and were now actively pursuing the theory that Madeleine McCann was abducted from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Helena Monteiro and her four-man team of detectives, who were handed the case due to their expertise and neutrality, having never worked on it before, are also reported to be keen on speaking to a number of people who were never questioned during the first investigation led by inspectors in the Algarve.[/i]

Thanks, Sherlock:

It is believed the PJ team in Oporto uncovered shortcomings in the initial investigation conducted by their counterparts in the Algarve and were now actively pursuing the theory that Madeleine McCann was abducted from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Helena Monteiro and her four-man team of detectives, who were handed the case due to their expertise and neutrality, having never worked on it before, are also reported to be keen on speaking to a number of people who were never questioned during the first investigation led by inspectors in the Algarve.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Offline Mr Gray

This is a short paragraph from this article dated MAY 2011...

"One plan is for a team of UK detectives - probably from Scotland Yard - to got to Portugal and pore over the police files.

One crucial exercise would be to do the mobile phone cell-site analysis that wasn't done.

And follow up reports of previous intruders into the holiday homes of other Brits, as recorded by Kate in her book."

How can anyone claim that the pj did a proper investigation when these things were not investigated..thank god SY are on the case

Offline Sherlock Holmes

Thanks, Sherlock:

It is believed the PJ team in Oporto uncovered shortcomings in the initial investigation conducted by their counterparts in the Algarve and were now actively pursuing the theory that Madeleine McCann was abducted from a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Helena Monteiro and her four-man team of detectives, who were handed the case due to their expertise and neutrality, having never worked on it before, are also reported to be keen on speaking to a number of people who were never questioned during the first investigation led by inspectors in the Algarve.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Yes, highly significant, Ferryman.

This is another nail in the coffin for the idea that SY are somehow turning a blind eye to other possibilities.

It is one thing to imagine that British authorities would attempt to protect the McCanns somewhat.

The Portuguese have no reason to pursue the theory of abduction for any other reason than their being credible evidence to suggest it , especially considering the fact that an abduction on Portuguese soil, possibly involving Portuguese nationals and maybe staff at the Ocean Club, could be embarrassing and maybe even harmful to the country.