Author Topic: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights  (Read 530929 times)

Offline Venturi Swirl

Re: McCanns appeal to the European Court of Human Rights
« Reply #4320 on: February 19, 2021, 11:57:03 PM »
1. Was there an infringement of the applicants' right to respect for their private life, within the meaning of Article 8 § 1 of the Convention (see, Axel Springer AG v. Germany [GC], no. 39954/08 , § 83, 7 February 2012; and Larrañaga Arando and Others v. Spain (dec.), Nos. 73911/16, 233/17 3086/17 and 5155/17, § 42, 25 June 2019) with regard in particular to the allegations made by GA in the disputed book and documentary?

The other interesting point in the Axel Springer case is that he was seen as having “actively sought the limelight” which reduced his “legitimate expectation” that his private life would be protected.

That was a point made in the McCann case, that they had voluntarily become public figures, which meant they couldn't expect the same protection of their privacy as less public people can expect.
The ECHR also said of the article
In respect of the content, form and consequence of the articles, the Court found that the articles only related to the facts and did not contain any “disparaging expression or unsubstantiated allegation” - can the same be said of Amaral’s book?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:05:18 AM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline misty

« Reply #4321 on: February 20, 2021, 12:24:18 AM »
1. Was there an infringement of the applicants' right to respect for their private life, within the meaning of Article 8 § 1 of the Convention (see, Axel Springer AG v. Germany [GC], no. 39954/08 , § 83, 7 February 2012; and Larrañaga Arando and Others v. Spain (dec.), Nos. 73911/16, 233/17 3086/17 and 5155/17, § 42, 25 June 2019) with regard in particular to the allegations made by GA in the disputed book and documentary?

The other interesting point in the Axel Springer case is that he was seen as having “actively sought the limelight” which reduced his “legitimate expectation” that his private life would be protected.

That was a point made in the McCann case, that they had voluntarily become public figures, which meant they couldn't expect the same protection of their privacy as less public people can expect.
Axel Springer AG is a German publishing company, not an actor. They own Bild, the daily newspaper which printed the story about a famous German actor's arrest in 2004 for possession of Cocaine. He played a police detective in a long-running TV series. As a public figure in Germany, the actor enjoyed less right to a private life in Germany as far as the media were concerned. (Think George Michael).
The McCanns were not public figures with any influence over Portuguese society prior to Madeleine's disappearance. The subsequent publicity they sought was purely to seek help in locating Madeleine and not for self-promotion or influence in any capacity.
Therefore, imo, there is a marked difference in the 2 cases regarding the status of a public figure as per article 8.

*Edited to alter public to private
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 01:15:55 AM by misty »

Offline Brietta

« Reply #4322 on: February 20, 2021, 12:34:25 AM »
Axel Springer AG is a German publishing company, not an actor. They own Bild, the daily newspaper which printed the story about a famous German actor's arrest in 2004 for possession of Cocaine. He played a police detective in a long-running TV series. As a public figure in Germany, the actor enjoyed less right to a public life in Germany as far as the media were concerned. (Think George Michael).
The McCanns were not public figures with any influence over Portuguese society prior to Madeleine's disappearance. The subsequent publicity they sought was purely to seek help in locating Madeleine and not for self-promotion or influence in any capacity.
Therefore, imo, there is a marked difference in the 2 cases regarding the status of a public figure as per article 8.

Succinctly put, Misty.
I think the European court will look with a less jaundiced eye on two people trying to publicise their missing daughter's plight than either the Portuguese or the Kangaroo court of the internet did.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #4323 on: February 20, 2021, 12:38:02 AM »

When did they become public figures?
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline barrier

« Reply #4324 on: February 20, 2021, 06:02:57 AM »
When did they become public figures?
When Kate told the world she couldn't make love to Gerry.?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/534451/i-couldnt-make-love-to-gerry/
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4325 on: February 20, 2021, 09:20:42 AM »
Axel Springer AG is a German publishing company, not an actor. They own Bild, the daily newspaper which printed the story about a famous German actor's arrest in 2004 for possession of Cocaine. He played a police detective in a long-running TV series. As a public figure in Germany, the actor enjoyed less right to a private life in Germany as far as the media were concerned. (Think George Michael).

*Edited to alter public to private

I expect there are all kinds of reasons why people become public figures. It's the fact that they are that is significant.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #4326 on: February 20, 2021, 09:23:33 AM »
When can we expect to learn the definitive outcome?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4327 on: February 20, 2021, 09:44:03 AM »
When Kate told the world she couldn't make love to Gerry.?

https://www.thesun.co.uk/archives/news/534451/i-couldnt-make-love-to-gerry/
So quite some time after Amaral published his book then?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline barrier

« Reply #4328 on: February 20, 2021, 09:46:57 AM »
So quite some time after Amaral published his book then?

Before or after their litigation against Amaral and the tv stations ?
This is my own private domicile and I shall not be harassed, biatch:Jesse Pinkman Character.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #4329 on: February 20, 2021, 09:52:32 AM »

Before or after their litigation against Amaral and the tv stations ?
Don’t answer a question with a question, it’s bad form.

Offline barrier

« Reply #4330 on: February 20, 2021, 09:53:31 AM »
Don’t answer a question with a question, it’s bad form.

I've a reputation to maintain, and I will.

Offline barrier

« Reply #4331 on: February 20, 2021, 09:58:01 AM »
When can we expect to learn the definitive outcome?

Read elsewhere but haven't looked, after receiving communication from the echr Portugal have 12 weeks to respond.A while yet.

Offline Holly Goodhead

« Reply #4332 on: February 20, 2021, 12:50:01 PM »
Read elsewhere but haven't looked, after receiving communication from the echr Portugal have 12 weeks to respond.A while yet.

Thanks barrier.  It will be very interesting to see which way it goes.
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline barrier

« Reply #4333 on: February 23, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »
Its finally dawning on the sun at least.

In ensuing claims and appeals, Mr Amaral was cleared of any wrong doing which led to the McCanns’ latest action being filed against the country’s top court rather than the ex officer.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14128062/madeleine-mccann-christian-b-parents-charged-lawyer/

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #4334 on: February 23, 2021, 09:24:45 PM »
Its finally dawning on the sun at least.

In ensuing claims and appeals, Mr Amaral was cleared of any wrong doing which led to the McCanns’ latest action being filed against the country’s top court rather than the ex officer.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14128062/madeleine-mccann-christian-b-parents-charged-lawyer/

"It’s never been about seeking damages but simply trying to stop false and malicious accusations being spouted. They still have no idea if their appeal in their fight for justice will be granted, or not.”

I thought it was about;

"It was entirely focused on the effect of the libels on our other children and the damage that was done to the search for Madeleine."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32501647
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0