Author Topic: maddie will be 18 this year  (Read 21407 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: maddie will be 18 this year
« Reply #360 on: May 14, 2021, 11:44:35 AM »
Posters have the right to express their opinion within the law... That included posters who find posts offensive.
You should defend the right of posters to do that

Posters can express their opinions, but they cannot seek to impose those opinions on others or berate those whose opinions differ. Those are the rules of this forum.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #361 on: May 14, 2021, 11:55:06 AM »
Posters can express their opinions, but they cannot seek to impose those opinions on others or berate those whose opinions differ. Those are the rules of this forum.

It's reasonable to comment on opinion... It's just another opinion.  If I say I find someones posts offensive... Then I don't see anything wrong with that

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #362 on: May 14, 2021, 12:01:57 PM »
It's reasonable to comment on opinion... It's just another opinion.  If I say I find someones posts offensive... Then I don't see anything wrong with that

Commenting on posts is fine. Adverse comments on the poster isn't.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #363 on: May 14, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »
Defending the rights of others to express their opinions is not the same as approving of those opinions. You appear to have a problem understanding that distinction imo.

This is a post of yourself today making an adverse comment
towards another poster

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #364 on: May 14, 2021, 02:08:11 PM »
Defending the rights of others to express their opinions is not the same as approving of those opinions. You appear to have a problem understanding that distinction imo.
You think making sick jokes about dead children killed in tragic circumstances and posting pictures of Madeleine McCann as a pile of bones is something that needs to be defended?  I don't view those as opinions, I view that as trolling pure and simple and I don't see how you as a moderator or anyone with a shred of decency can in good conscience defend it as "free speech" - it's bollocks that's what it is.  That's my opinion, hope it doesn't cause offence.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 02:10:44 PM by Vertigo Swirl »
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #365 on: May 14, 2021, 02:12:27 PM »
Exactly. The law decides, not random posters on an internet forum. I get the impression that some people (particularly McCann supporters) have a problem understanding that they are not the judges of what should and should not be said.
Criticism of a number of forum members here implying they are stupid n'est ce pas?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #366 on: May 14, 2021, 02:22:41 PM »
You think making sick jokes about dead children killed in tragic circumstances and posting pictures of Madeleine McCann as a pile of bones is something that needs to be defended?  I don't view those as opinions, I view that as trolling pure and simple and I don't see how you as a moderator or anyone with a shred of decency can in good conscience defend it as "free speech" - it's bollocks that's what it is.  That's my opinion, hope it doesn't cause offence.

My opinion is Maddie is deceased & therefore quite likely a pile of bones.

Is it that ,that is particularly offensive or the picture of how I opine she may look?

If I hadn't added the picture would you be offended?
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #367 on: May 14, 2021, 02:35:43 PM »

I can't comment on 'sick jokes about dead children killed in tragic circumstances' as I haven't seen them.

Those who post random pictures of what Madeleine McCann might look like now do it, I assume, because they share the belief that she may be alive. Those who post pictures of her as a pile of bones do it, I assume, because they share the German authority's belief that she died many years ago.

I assume both see their pictures as a realistic demonstration of their opinions. Disliking what they post is a matter of opinion, not of decency imo.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #368 on: May 14, 2021, 02:56:09 PM »
I can't comment on 'sick jokes about dead children killed in tragic circumstances' as I haven't seen them.

Those who post random pictures of what Madeleine McCann might look like now do it, I assume, because they share the belief that she may be alive. Those who post pictures of her as a pile of bones do it, I assume, because they share the German authority's belief that she died many years ago.

I assume both see their pictures as a realistic demonstration of their opinions. Disliking what they post is a matter of opinion, not of decency imo.
So you don't see anything indecent with posting a picture of Madeleine as a pile of skeletal remains on a thread that was started to mark her 18th Birthday?  Why am I not remotely surprised?  I wonder how it would be if I posted a picture of a pile of human remains on the anniversary of Brenda Leyland's death?  Would that be permitted?

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #369 on: May 14, 2021, 03:17:06 PM »
So you don't see anything indecent with posting a picture of Madeleine as a pile of skeletal remains on a thread that was started to mark her 18th Birthday?  Why am I not remotely surprised?  I wonder how it would be if I posted a picture of a pile of human remains on the anniversary of Brenda Leyland's death?  Would that be permitted?

Well she's definitely dead, so it wouldn't be an opinion that's what she looked like.

Unless she was cremated, in which case a picture of dust might be more accurate.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #370 on: May 14, 2021, 03:24:52 PM »
The thing that gets me about the child killed by lightning story.

The comment, whatever it was, was posted in a closed facebook group, then hastily deleted by the author.

But, so offensive, inappropriate & appalling was this comment that people who saw it decided to screenshot the comment & make it more widely available, even after it's deletion, so everyone else could be offended by it.

Offline jassi

« Reply #371 on: May 14, 2021, 03:35:57 PM »

The comment, whatever it was, was posted in a closed facebook group, then hastily deleted by the author.

But, so offensive, inappropriate & appalling was this comment that people who saw it decided to screenshot the comment & make it more widely available, even after it's deletion, so everyone else could be offended by it.

It's fashionable to be offended and share your offendedness with others these days.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #372 on: May 14, 2021, 03:45:05 PM »

It's fashionable to be offended and share your offendedness with others these days.

Outrage Culture, stomping down the street wailing because your feelings were hurt.

Complaining to Ofcom because you didn't see a black face in that programme you watched or needing content warnings on Fawlty Towers because John Cleese made a joke about Nazis back in 1970.

What precious flowers some people have become.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #373 on: May 14, 2021, 04:12:51 PM »

Did they?  Then you must have seen it, despite protesting that you were unable to. 

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #374 on: May 14, 2021, 04:18:40 PM »
Outrage Culture, stomping down the street wailing because your feelings were hurt.

Complaining to Ofcom because you didn't see a black face in that programme you watched or needing content warnings on Fawlty Towers because John Cleese made a joke about Nazis back in 1970.

What precious flowers some people have become.
It's not outrage culture to find your post about Madeleine offensive or to say so.  I haven't screen shot your post and sent it to the Daily Express, but if someone had and they managed to track you down I have absolutely no doubt you'd be a contrite quivering sack of sorry when they confronted you.   That's the thing about the internet - you think you can be as offensive and vile as you like without any consequences, but sometimes you are careless and it backfires and you are found out and suddenly you find yourself on the wrong end of the vicious attacks, you lose your job and all your friends and then suddenly it doesn't seem like it was such a good idea to be so offensive and vile and you find you can't live with the shame of it all and you end up topping yourself.