Alleged Miscarriages of Justice > John Lamberton and the conspiracy and malicious prosecution brought against him by the Scottish Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service in Edinburgh, Scotland.

The corrupt Scottish Justice System

(1/1)

Sherlock Holmes:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scotland-s-unique-15-strong-juries-will-not-be-abolished-1-1037747

This is a topic that fascinates me as I grew up in Edinburgh and prior to moving overseas had a number of professional and social connections in the legal fraternity.

It is a notoriously closed community which holds on to a lot of legal and social traditions for which, by members' own admission,  there is often no basis - the jury set -up being one of these. 

From what I have been given to understand for many years, there is absolutely no impetus from within the community for change as regards the controversial jury regulations, any more than there is any impetus for change in any other part of the legal system. Only a few individuals here and there are prepared to discuss openly the pros and cons.

As can be noted from the article above, Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill states that the 8-7 situation obviates the need for excessive retrials, saving the country both time and money. This, he claims, is evidence of a 'pretty efficient system'.

A startling and unthinking admission  by a government minister that the rights and needs of individuals at trial are sublimated to the demands of the Scottish Executive. What he has described is not efficiency but expediency - and that means a kangaroo court.

Joanne:
A while ago I spoke (at length) with Peter Hill from Rough justice, I'd not been interested in miscarriages for long at that point and I was asked whether I could help in the Luke Mitchell case, I didn't have enough knowledge and/or experience then by any means (and I probably don't now either) but then Mr Hill commented that he'd probably have to ask someone from Scotland with knowledge of their judicial system, it not being the same as England and Wales and they're not very keen on people from outside Scotland being involved in their legal system anyway,
He's a fascinating bloke, wealth of information and the site linked to the programme is extremely good too.

Sherlock Holmes:

--- Quote from: Joanne on December 16, 2013, 06:53:52 AM ---A while ago I spoke (at length) with Peter Hill from Rough justice, I'd not been interested in miscarriages for long at that point and I was asked whether I could help in the Luke Mitchell case, I didn't have enough knowledge and/or experience then by any means (and I probably don't now either) but then Mr Hill commented that he'd probably have to ask someone from Scotland with knowledge of their judicial system, it not being the same as England and Wales and they're not very keen on people from outside Scotland being involved in their legal system anyway,
He's a fascinating bloke, wealth of information and the site linked to the programme is extremely good too.

--- End quote ---

Interesting, Joanne. I'll have a look at the site.

Yes, the Scottish judicial system is very insular and close-knit. All concentrated in one small building (in Parliament Square, Edinburgh). It's a real gentleman's club - there's not much point in asking them to change their rules for the sake of non-members. That's how they see it, anyway.

John:

--- Quote from: Sherlock Holmes on December 19, 2013, 03:54:17 AM ---Interesting, Joanne. I'll have a look at the site.

Yes, the Scottish judicial system is very insular and close-knit. All concentrated in one small building (in Parliament Square, Edinburgh). It's a real gentleman's club - there's not much point in asking them to change their rules for the sake of non-members. That's how they see it, anyway.

--- End quote ---

It's a judicial clique of the very worst sort.  The Scottish Justice System is corrupt from the top to the bottom and serves the interest well for those involved in it.  It's not surprising therefore that they don't want to change it in any way. As one leading QC once said to me, its not about justice!!

They resent greatly when on the odd occasion the UK Supreme Court in London has an opportunity to rule against them and their tardy judgements.

http://petercherbi.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/scandalising-judges-laws-to-be-reviewed-in-england-wales-what-now-for-crooked-corrupt-members-of-scotlands-judiciary/

http://holliedemandsjustice.org/content/scotlands-judicial-shame-a-corrupt-justice-system/

http://scottishlaw.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/proposals-announced-to-reform-scotlands.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version