Alleged Miscarriages of Justice > The kidnapping and shooting/murder of Anni Dewani while on her honeymoon in South Africa. Trial of Shrien Dewani was held in Cape Town, SA.

Why was Dewani not charged with illegal money exchange?

<< < (2/2)

Admin:

--- Quote from: dewanifacts on September 03, 2015, 09:47:57 PM ---My understanding is that the law regarding currency exchange is quirky in South Africa and is not black and white. I remember reading somewhere that it is partly in place to stop people using pawn shops in certain ways to launder proceeds of crime.  You seem very definite and clear in your statements above so you appear to have a strong grasp on it.

You mention that it was determined in evidence in court. I can find no mention of such in the Dewani judgement.

Can you please clarify which evidence you are referring to and/or point to a source that makes you so sure that a) this money exchange was illegal and b) that Dewani committed a crime by being party to it.

--- End quote ---

In South Africa it is illegal to buy or sell foreign currency to anyone except an authorised dealer.

http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/currency.htm#.Vej0lZeOy2A#ixzz3kjHhM07T

Admin:
Dewani trial: Currency exchange store owner testifies

The owner of a Cape Town currency exchange store on Tuesday insisted that businessman Shrien Dewani gave her US dollars to exchange in 2010 while his lawyer said British pounds were handed over.

Maria Bravetti, owner of the Golden Touch jewellers in central Cape Town, was called as the State’s sixth witness in Dewani’s trial in the Western Cape High Court.

She was warned that any evidence she gave could incriminate her and that she may be prosecuted if she did not answer truthfully.

More...

dewanifacts:
Thanks, that clarifies the legal position.

Might I suggest that this series of posts is moved into the other thread ("Dewani and the illegal money exchange") so that the same discussion does not need to be duplicated in two threads?

John:
My question still stands, anyone changing currency in South Africa has to do so thorough a licences dealer or bank.  Dewani went to a back street jeweller to change currency thus avoiding South Afrtican tax.  This was illegal and he should have been prosecuted and fined.

Why wasn't he?

dewanifacts:
Maybe because he was a victim of a savage crime and lost his wife? What I said earlier also stands. Ignorance is not an excuse at law, however in most circumstances courts will not convict someone for minor offences if a reasonable case can be made to suggest that they believed they were acting lawfully.

Your suggestion that he avoided paying tax is wrong. The shop owner avoided declared income and consequently tax but Dewani's only potential benefit was getting a good rate. With hindsight, some have pointed out that he probably didn't even benefit in that way. Tongo really did a number on him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version