Author Topic: Did Jodi's family know she was going to Luke's?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline DanniCash

Did Jodi's family know she was going to Luke's?
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:20:29 PM »
Sandra Lean says Jodi's family were expecting Jodi to be "mucking about up here" - Mayfield and Easthouses - not at Luke's. Is that true? I thought Jodi asked to go out to Luke's specifically and was told she could. See Sandra L quote below.

"Just to clear up a couple of points. Jodi's mum told police she was certain Jodi and Luke were going to be "mucking about up here" - Mayfield and Easthouses. There was no suggestion at all that Jodi was going to Newbattle (where Luke lived). When she called Luke asking for Jodi, she didn't ask where they were supposed to be meeting up - Luke told her he hadn't seen Jodi all night and she hung up. That's confirmed by both Luke and Judith's statements. So the family search trio (already in Mayfield) would have had no reason to believe Jodi might have gone to Newbattle. They didn't check anywhere on the way to the path, including places Jodi often spent time in Mayfield (Scotts Caravans, Luke's mum's business premises) or Yvonne Walker's flat, just yards from Alice Walker's home. They weren't even looking for her or calling out for her on the shortcut from Mayfield via the Complex) which was also surrounded by trees. They only switched on their torches and started calling out Jodi's name when they reached the entrance to the path.
It's not so much the going to the path that's strange (although it is, in view of the fact that everyone believed she intended to be in Easthouses or Mayfield that evening), but that they didn't look anywhere else at all for her.
Also, Janine told the court the trio had no intention of continuing down onto the Newbattle road if they didn't find Jodi on the path. (There are lots of places on the Newbattle Road where a young girl could be dragged into the woodland either side) - the path, and only the path - was their only /focus."

Offline Admin

Re: Did Jodi's family know she was going to Luke's?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:43:40 PM »
Sandra Lean says Jodi's family were expecting Jodi to be "mucking about up here" - Mayfield and Easthouses - not at Luke's. Is that true? I thought Jodi asked to go out to Luke's specifically and was told she could. See Sandra L quote below.

"Just to clear up a couple of points. Jodi's mum told police she was certain Jodi and Luke were going to be "mucking about up here" - Mayfield and Easthouses. There was no suggestion at all that Jodi was going to Newbattle (where Luke lived). When she called Luke asking for Jodi, she didn't ask where they were supposed to be meeting up - Luke told her he hadn't seen Jodi all night and she hung up. That's confirmed by both Luke and Judith's statements. So the family search trio (already in Mayfield) would have had no reason to believe Jodi might have gone to Newbattle. They didn't check anywhere on the way to the path, including places Jodi often spent time in Mayfield (Scotts Caravans, Luke's mum's business premises) or Yvonne Walker's flat, just yards from Alice Walker's home. They weren't even looking for her or calling out for her on the shortcut from Mayfield via the Complex) which was also surrounded by trees. They only switched on their torches and started calling out Jodi's name when they reached the entrance to the path.
It's not so much the going to the path that's strange (although it is, in view of the fact that everyone believed she intended to be in Easthouses or Mayfield that evening), but that they didn't look anywhere else at all for her.
Also, Janine told the court the trio had no intention of continuing down onto the Newbattle road if they didn't find Jodi on the path. (There are lots of places on the Newbattle Road where a young girl could be dragged into the woodland either side) - the path, and only the path - was their only /focus."

They knew because Luke told them they were meeting up and as Luke hung around the Newbattle Road waiting for her the obvious place to search was along the route between Easthouses and Newbattle Road.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 12:15:54 AM »
They knew because Luke told them they were meeting up and as Luke hung around the Newbattle Road waiting for her the obvious place to search was along the route between Easthouses and Newbattle Road.

But they were supposed to be mucking around in Easthouses according to Judith, not Newbattle.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 06:50:27 AM »
But they were supposed to be mucking around in Easthouses according to Judith, not Newbattle.

That's what Jodi told her mother if I recall correctly.  Jodi never made it to Newbattle however.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Rorschach

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 04:57:13 PM »
Just another unfortunate coincidence that Jodi told people she was meeting Luke at her end of the path, and a witness saw Luke arguing with a girl who could have been Jodi at Jodi's side of the path at the exact time it would have taken her to get to that location from her home.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 06:15:43 PM »
Just another unfortunate coincidence that Jodi told people she was meeting Luke at her end of the path, and a witness saw Luke arguing with a girl who could have been Jodi at Jodi's side of the path at the exact time it would have taken her to get to that location from her home.

Please be accurate.

The witness’s description of Jodi’s clothes was wrong. Further she never attended an identity parade and couldn’t pick Luke out in court even though he was in the dock. That suggests to me a high degree of uncertainty.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Offline Rorschach

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
It would have been dishonest if she had done. He looked completely different by the time it went to trial. When looking at a picture of Luke weeks after the murder she said she was "as sure as someone can be" that he was the person she saw.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 10:13:23 PM »
It would have been dishonest if she had done. He looked completely different by the time it went to trial. When looking at a picture of Luke weeks after the murder she said she was "as sure as someone can be" that he was the person she saw.

He certainly did look different. In her first statement she described the male she saw as in his early 20s, average height, medium build, sandy brown hair sticking up in a clump at the back, and very thick. She couldn’t describe his facial features.

Of course Luke was 14, skinny with blonde, fine hair which is very straight. Interestingly AB described the male she saw as wearing a green, waist length fishing style jacket with a high collar and lots of pockets. She does not describe him as wearing a parka.

The girl she saw she described as having very dark shoulder length hair and was wearing a plain navy hooded top with lighter blue, boot-cut jeans. Of course we now know that at the time of her death Jodi was wearing a baggy, black hoodie with a large bright orange ‘Deftones’ logo across the back with smaller versions of the same logo on the left sleeve. Her hair was auburn.

From the descriptions the male and female she saw couldn’t possibly have been Luke and Jodi.

No wonder she failed to point out Luke in court.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 10:17:58 PM »
He certainly did look different. In her first statement she described the male she saw as in his early 20s, average height, medium build, sandy brown hair sticking up in a clump at the back, and very thick. She couldn’t describe his facial features.

Of course Luke was 14, skinny with blonde, fine hair which is very straight. Interestingly AB described the male she saw as wearing a green, waist length fishing style jacket with a high collar and lots of pockets. She does not describe him as wearing a parka.

The girl she saw she described as having very dark shoulder length hair and was wearing a plain navy hooded top with lighter blue, boot-cut jeans. Of course we now know that at the time of her death Jodi was wearing a baggy, black hoodie with a large bright orange ‘Deftones’ logo across the back with smaller versions of the same logo on the left sleeve. Her hair was auburn.

From the descriptions the male and female she saw couldn’t possibly have been Luke and Jodi.

No wonder she failed to point out Luke in court.
If these people were not Mitchell and Jodi who were they and why did they not come forward?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Rorschach

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 10:48:59 PM »
If these people were not Mitchell and Jodi who were they and why did they not come forward?

They've never been traced to this day. In such a small town.

She described a jacket a "fisherman would wear" which is subjective.

She was spot on about the colour though. Another unfortunate coincidence eh. A youth who she was "as sure as someone can be" was Luke was standing where Luke would have been meeting Jodi, wearing the same coloured jacket. Luke's hair could easily be described as sandy brown and I'm not sure where lilly got "very straight" from.

What do you know. Clumps sticking up at the back.

The re-enactment in the recent documentary also served to demonstrate how clothes could be easily mistaken. The girl driving the car got the outfits completely wrong for both, it didn't change the fact. I'm not sure what the detectives were hoping to achieve there lol. The fact is a young couple was there and she was sure it was Luke. This young couple has never been traced. Neither of them heard about the murder or the appeals?

Another pic showing how Luke's hair stuck up in clumps at the back "like feathers" I think the witness described it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 10:51:26 PM by Rorschach »

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 11:13:35 PM »
They've never been traced to this day. In such a small town.

She described a jacket a "fisherman would wear" which is subjective.

She was spot on about the colour though. Another unfortunate coincidence eh. A youth who she was "as sure as someone can be" was Luke was standing where Luke would have been meeting Jodi, wearing the same coloured jacket. Luke's hair could easily be described as sandy brown and I'm not sure where lilly got "very straight" from.

What do you know. Clumps sticking up at the back.

The re-enactment in the recent documentary also served to demonstrate how clothes could be easily mistaken. The girl driving the car got the outfits completely wrong for both, it didn't change the fact. I'm not sure what the detectives were hoping to achieve there lol. The fact is a young couple was there and she was sure it was Luke. This young couple has never been traced. Neither of them heard about the murder or the appeals?

Another pic showing how Luke's hair stuck up in clumps at the back "like feathers" I think the witness described it.

Luke also had a green bomber jacket. Another coincidence?

A parka can in no stretch of the imagination be described as ‘something a fisherman would wear’.

No clumps, just straight, fine hair. Blonde hair in the summer tends to be lighter.

Clothes can be easily mistaken, witnesses can be wrong but you can only convict on the description given by the witness not on what you think she might have seen.

As to no other couple coming forward, that’s irrelevant. It’s up to the prosecution to prove it was Jodi and Luke at the path not for others to come forward and eliminate them.

I notice you say nothing about AB’s description of ‘Jodi’. A bright orange logo mistaken for a plain navy top. The witness wouldn’t have to have been mistaken but blind not to notice that.

Offline Rorschach

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 11:35:50 PM »
A parka can in no stretch of the imagination be described as ‘something a fisherman would wear’.

What are you talking about?

A fisherman would wear a long waterproof coat.

Type fisherman jacket into google images and half of the pictures look like parkas to me.

John Lewis calls this a fisherman jacket and it's a parka.

also

A green german army parka:

vs

a "fisherman shirt jacket"

So why wouldn't someone describe a button down coat with large pockets as something a fisherman would wear by any stretch of the imagination?  *%87
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 11:47:38 PM by Rorschach »

Offline WakeyWakey

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 11:56:08 PM »
I notice you say nothing about AB’s description of ‘Jodi’. A bright orange logo mistaken for a plain navy top. The witness wouldn’t have to have been mistaken but blind not to notice that.

one of the exact deftones [Name removed]s hoodie on ebay right now. some things to note:

the orange logo is mostly if not entirely hidden when the hood is down

what do you notice about the color of the inside of the hood?

could easily be mistaken for a navy hoodie imo.

Offline Rorschach

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 11:59:55 PM »
one of the exact deftones [Name removed]s hoodie on ebay right now. some things to note:

the orange logo is mostly if not entirely hidden when the hood is down

what do you notice about the color of the inside of the hood?

https://i.imgur.com/DyrrnIe.png

https://i.imgur.com/LM7CdFF.png

could easily be mistaken for a navy hoodie imo.

Wow. The inside of the hood is navy.

Jodi had her hood down and AB saw her from behind.

Excellent discovery. 8@??)(

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 01:10:39 AM »
What are you talking about?

A fisherman would wear a long waterproof coat.

Type fisherman jacket into google images and half of the pictures look like parkas to me.

John Lewis calls this a fisherman jacket and it's a parka.

also

A green german army parka:

vs

a "fisherman shirt jacket"

So why wouldn't someone describe a button down coat with large pockets as something a fisherman would wear by any stretch of the imagination?  *%87

As you say it’s all subjective but I’d wager these wouldn’t land on the wearer’s waist as AB claimed.

Further when AB was asked to pick the jacket her sighting was wearing by the police from a collection of photographs she rejected all but one. When asked about this by Donald Findlay AB said that she had said very clearly to the police that the jacket shown in photograph 8 which she had picked was NOT the jacket that the man on the path had been wearing and that she had pointed out the differences. She said she was told to pick the one most like the one she’d seen. Photograph 8 was a parka jacket.

BTW why do you think Corrine didn’t just surreptitiously replace her son’s missing parka with a new one instead of buying a new one and furnishing the police with receipt?