Author Topic: Maida Vale Stabbing. Hero Driver Ran Over Knifeman.  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Wonderfulspam

Maida Vale Stabbing. Hero Driver Ran Over Knifeman.
« on: January 28, 2022, 01:30:39 PM »
Yasmine Chkaifi, 43, was repeatedly and fatally stabbed by her ex-husband Leon McCaskre, 41, on a pavement in London’s Maida Vale on Monday morning. A motorist drove his blue Renault Clio into McCaskre, killing him.

Horrified witness desperately tried to save 'school run mum'
Neighbour Raad Jiyad claims he saw a man with a big knife standing over the screaming woman before a car came from nowhere and ran the knifeman over. Two people died at the scene.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/maida-vale-stabbing-horrified-witness-26034197

A driver who ran over a knifeman in an attempt to stop him from stabbing his ex-wife to death in the middle of a street has pleaded with police to drop their murder investigation.

The 26-year-old motorist, identified by his lawyers only as Abraham, said he was being treated as a criminal despite “just wanting to stop him from hurting anybody further”.

He was driving to work on Monday morning when he witnessed Leon McCaskre, 41, attacking 43-year-old Yasmin Chkaifi in front of horrified onlookers just metres from her home in Maida Vale, west London.

Abraham, who described himself as a Muslim and family man, said his “instant thought” was to protect the mother of two as he drove his blue Renault Clio towards McCaskre in a bid to stop him.

But Chkaifi could not be saved, and both she and McCaskre died of their injuries at the scene in Chippenham Road.

It has since emerged that the knifeman, who also went by the name McCaskie, was wanted by police after failing to turn up to court just weeks earlier over allegations that he had breached a stalking order by approaching Chkaifi in July 2021.

Police arrested Abraham at the scene on suspicion of murder, but later released him on bail and said he had been fully cooperative with their investigation.

Chkaifi’s family praised the driver as “our hero” and suggested he should receive an honour from the Queen – while 23,000 people have signed an online petition calling for the investigation into his actions to be dropped.

In a statement released through his lawyer, Mohammed Akunjee, Abraham said it was never his intention to harm anyone as he called on the Metropolitan Police to de-arrest him.

He said: “I witnessed a man repeatedly stabbing a defenceless woman on the pavement a short distance in front of my car. Members of the public were attempting to intervene.

“The attacker was wielding a knife and was threatening those brave citizens too.

“My instant thought was to protect the woman who had been stabbed and the public who were also being threatened.

“The vehicles ahead of me moved off, which gave me the opportunity to intervene. I drove my vehicle towards the attacker in order to get him away from the woman he was attacking.

“I did not intend to harm the attacker, I only intended to protect those being attacked.”

Abraham said he and other passers-by tried unsuccessfully to lift the car away from McCaskre to give him first aid after being unable to reverse the vehicle.

“I am deeply sorry that the man I tried to stop from attacking other people has died,” he said. “It was never my intention to harm him, I just wanted to stop him from hurting anybody further.”

He added: “I understand that the police are doing their job and that my being arrested is not unusual. However, I do not see why I as the person who tried to assist in the defence of other human beings remain arrested and on bail under suspicion of murder.

“I have asked my solicitor to contact the Metropolitan Police to request that they consider de-arresting me and begin treating me as a witness to a tragic event rather than as a criminal as they currently are.”

Westminster Magistrates’ Court confirmed a warrant had been issued for McCaskre’s arrest on 4 January after he failed to appear over allegations that he had breached an interim stalking protection order by physically approaching Chkaifi in west London on 29 July 2021.

He was also barred from making contact with Chkaifi by phone, email, text or social media.

The Metropolitan Police would not comment on the warrant.

The force, which had previously confirmed that a stalking prevention order had been obtained against McCaskre, said it had referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

A friend of Chkaifi has revealed that the mother of two expressed fear that her ex-husband might kill her almost two years before her death.

Her family previously described McCaskre as a “demon”, while a childhood friend told The Independent that Chkaifi had had a panic alarm installed in her home.

Adele-Sara Richards, who knew the victim as Yaz, said Chkaifi had messaged her in April 2020 to say: “He’s had cameras in my house recording me for months.”

She went on: “He’s stolen my mail, my phone, has access to all my personal data.

“I think he will kill me. I’ve tried everything.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/maida-vale-stabbing-driver-statement-b2001934.html

More than 26,000 people have signed a petition calling for the driver not to face criminal charges and describing him as a hero. Members of Chkaifi’s family have also reportedly praised him for his attempt to save her life.

A neighbour who said she used to hear McCaskre beating Chkaifi in the flat they used to share together also praised the driver. She said: “I think that man deserves a medal. It would be an absolute farce if that man got charged with anything. He saw a woman being attacked and he tried to do the best thing he could to help her. He didn’t know it was too late.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/27/man-who-drove-at-maida-vale-womans-killer-says-he-was-trying-to-save-her
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 01:57:09 PM by Wonderfulspam »
I stand with Putin. Glory to Mother Putin.

Offline John

Re: Maida Vale Stabbing. Hero Driver Ran Over Knifeman.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 10:24:54 AM »
I think the police need to catch themselves on in situations like this regardless of whether it is the attack on a burglar invading property or defending someone in the street.

Citizens arrests are far too often being referred to the CPS and take ages to come to court leaving many good citizens in limbo for months. It's time the police started exercising just a little common sense!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:27:18 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Uncle Jr

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 10:38:58 AM »
Yasmine Chkaifi, 43, was repeatedly and fatally stabbed by her ex-husband Leon McCaskre, 41, on a pavement in London’s Maida Vale on Monday morning. A motorist drove his blue Renault Clio into McCaskre, killing him.

Horrified witness desperately tried to save 'school run mum'
Neighbour Raad Jiyad claims he saw a man with a big knife standing over the screaming woman before a car came from nowhere and ran the knifeman over. Two people died at the scene.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/maida-vale-stabbing-horrified-witness-26034197

A driver who ran over a knifeman in an attempt to stop him from stabbing his ex-wife to death in the middle of a street has pleaded with police to drop their murder investigation.

The 26-year-old motorist, identified by his lawyers only as Abraham, said he was being treated as a criminal despite “just wanting to stop him from hurting anybody further”.

He was driving to work on Monday morning when he witnessed Leon McCaskre, 41, attacking 43-year-old Yasmin Chkaifi in front of horrified onlookers just metres from her home in Maida Vale, west London.

Abraham, who described himself as a Muslim and family man, said his “instant thought” was to protect the mother of two as he drove his blue Renault Clio towards McCaskre in a bid to stop him.

But Chkaifi could not be saved, and both she and McCaskre died of their injuries at the scene in Chippenham Road.

It has since emerged that the knifeman, who also went by the name McCaskie, was wanted by police after failing to turn up to court just weeks earlier over allegations that he had breached a stalking order by approaching Chkaifi in July 2021.

Police arrested Abraham at the scene on suspicion of murder, but later released him on bail and said he had been fully cooperative with their investigation.

Chkaifi’s family praised the driver as “our hero” and suggested he should receive an honour from the Queen – while 23,000 people have signed an online petition calling for the investigation into his actions to be dropped.

In a statement released through his lawyer, Mohammed Akunjee, Abraham said it was never his intention to harm anyone as he called on the Metropolitan Police to de-arrest him.

He said: “I witnessed a man repeatedly stabbing a defenceless woman on the pavement a short distance in front of my car. Members of the public were attempting to intervene.

“The attacker was wielding a knife and was threatening those brave citizens too.

“My instant thought was to protect the woman who had been stabbed and the public who were also being threatened.

“The vehicles ahead of me moved off, which gave me the opportunity to intervene. I drove my vehicle towards the attacker in order to get him away from the woman he was attacking.

“I did not intend to harm the attacker, I only intended to protect those being attacked.”

Abraham said he and other passers-by tried unsuccessfully to lift the car away from McCaskre to give him first aid after being unable to reverse the vehicle.

“I am deeply sorry that the man I tried to stop from attacking other people has died,” he said. “It was never my intention to harm him, I just wanted to stop him from hurting anybody further.”

He added: “I understand that the police are doing their job and that my being arrested is not unusual. However, I do not see why I as the person who tried to assist in the defence of other human beings remain arrested and on bail under suspicion of murder.

“I have asked my solicitor to contact the Metropolitan Police to request that they consider de-arresting me and begin treating me as a witness to a tragic event rather than as a criminal as they currently are.”

Westminster Magistrates’ Court confirmed a warrant had been issued for McCaskre’s arrest on 4 January after he failed to appear over allegations that he had breached an interim stalking protection order by physically approaching Chkaifi in west London on 29 July 2021.

He was also barred from making contact with Chkaifi by phone, email, text or social media.

The Metropolitan Police would not comment on the warrant.

The force, which had previously confirmed that a stalking prevention order had been obtained against McCaskre, said it had referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC).

A friend of Chkaifi has revealed that the mother of two expressed fear that her ex-husband might kill her almost two years before her death.

Her family previously described McCaskre as a “demon”, while a childhood friend told The Independent that Chkaifi had had a panic alarm installed in her home.

Adele-Sara Richards, who knew the victim as Yaz, said Chkaifi had messaged her in April 2020 to say: “He’s had cameras in my house recording me for months.”

She went on: “He’s stolen my mail, my phone, has access to all my personal data.

“I think he will kill me. I’ve tried everything.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/maida-vale-stabbing-driver-statement-b2001934.html

More than 26,000 people have signed a petition calling for the driver not to face criminal charges and describing him as a hero. Members of Chkaifi’s family have also reportedly praised him for his attempt to save her life.

A neighbour who said she used to hear McCaskre beating Chkaifi in the flat they used to share together also praised the driver. She said: “I think that man deserves a medal. It would be an absolute farce if that man got charged with anything. He saw a woman being attacked and he tried to do the best thing he could to help her. He didn’t know it was too late.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jan/27/man-who-drove-at-maida-vale-womans-killer-says-he-was-trying-to-save-her
I notice the lack of mass demonstrations and social media outrage because Yasmine was the wasn't white enough.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 10:48:57 AM »
I notice the lack of mass demonstrations and social media outrage because Yasmine wasn't white enough.

Also though, her assailant was very black & the hero driver Muslim.

But lack of public outrage for racial reasons aside, it's not often we see lethal force self defence cases in the UK.

The law allows for 'reasonable force' to prevent imminent attack.

I can't see the CPS perusing charges against the driver,  if I were in the same situation, watching some guy stab a woman to death & threatening others if they intervene, I'd like to think I would be brave enough to mow the f***** down, & I'd be pretty pissed if got charged with murder for it.

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 11:07:29 AM »
I think the police need to catch themselves on in situations like this regardless of whether it is the attack on a burglar invading property or defending someone in the street.

Citizens arrests are far too often being referred to the CPS and take ages to come to court leaving many good citizens in limbo for months. It's time the police started exercising just a little common sense!

If the police had intervened, they may have tried deploying tasers, but tasers are very unreliable & ineffective nearly 50% of the time, so if that didn't work the next option vs a knife would be a bullet.

It's possible a taser wouldn't have even been considered at all though, a knifeman can run at you & sink a knife in a matter of seconds, so potentially straight to lethal force.

The driver wasn't legally allowed to own a taser or gun, so chose the only available force option to counter the threat, he did the police' job for them.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 12:44:07 PM »
I notice the lack of mass demonstrations and social media outrage because Yasmine was the wasn't white enough.
What do you mean by this?  Do you think people on social media are all racists or something?  That people who attend demos and protests can't be arsed when the victim is a person of colour?  I think that's nonsense frankly. 
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 01:26:37 PM »

'HEART OF GOLD' Tributes to mum, 43, killed by violent ex on school run – as family hail ‘vigilante’ driver who mowed down knifeman

THIS is the mum-of-two knifed to death by her 'violent' ex before he was mowed down by a 'vigilante' driver.

Wafah Chkaifi, 43, was killed by her ex Leon McCaskie, 41, in front of horrified parents taking their kids to school in Maida Vale, West London.

She was stabbed by the hooded killer before an unnamed driver rushed to help - ploughing into the knifeman before screaming "what have I done".

Detective quizzed the driver, a 26-year-old man, on suspicion of murder but have since released him on bail.

Heartbroken family members have today paid tribute to the mum, who had a “heart of gold”, and hailed the driver a "hero" for trying to step in and save her - after years of abuse.

A family spokeswoman told The Sun: “The man who killed my sister is a demon. The man who killed him is a hero. He deserves a medal from the queen.

“There is no way he should go through the justice system for what he did. He tried to help her and for my sister and our family he is a hero.

“If anything we want to thank him for what he did. The man responsible is called Leon.

"He was supposed to be in court last week for breaching a stalking order but didn’t show up.

“My sister even has a panic alarm in her flat to protect herself from him. The police are aware of his past but this still happened.

“He was a demon. He was a monster but the driver is a hero. He saw what was happening and tried to stop it. I want to say thank you again.”

Her son added: ”Everyone who knew my mum knows she was a good woman. She didn’t deserve this. Keep her in your prayers.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesman confirmed that a Stalking Prevention Order had been obtained against Leon, and there will be a review by the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards.

Police confirmed that the driver had been fully co-operating with the investigation and was bailed to a date in February.

It is understood that Wafah, aslo known as Yasmin, lived just a few minutes walk from the scene on Chippenham Road.

She had dropped her teenage children, 16 and 18, off at school when the drama happened at 9am yesterday.

It is understood that Leon had been handed a restraining order, and was ordered not to contact his ex-partner.

He had reportedly breached the ruling last year, and had failed to show up for a court hearing earlier this month.

Horrified witnesses saw the mum scream for help before a bystander ploughed into the hooded knifeman after watching the brutal attack.

A man who claimed to have seen the attack London, told Mail Online: “The driver said to me ‘what have I done?’ I told him ‘you had to do that'."

Another man who laid flowers added: "I live local and I was just passing in my car when I saw it happening.

“I ran back to my car jumped in and locked the doors. Next thing I know a car rammed into the guy with knife.

“The woman had her jacket under the car but she wasn’t hit by it. We had to lift the car up to get the guy out from under it.”

Raad Jiyad, 52, also tried to intervene when he heard the woman's frantic screams for help outside of a school.

He said: "I was at home when I heard someone crying for help. I saw him stab her four or five times in the chest.

"The man who arrived in the blue car, which was a Renault, was scared about what happened. We spoke to each other and he tried to stop the guy with the knife.

"I wanted to try and make him come towards me instead to buy her some time.

"We tried to save her. He had this big knife so no one wanted to go near. Then this car came through and ran him over.

"It was all over so quickly. He went completely under the car. I think the driver was just trying to buy time to distract him."

'CRYING FOR HELP
Forensic officers remain on the scene, scouring the area for any evidence.

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Rawlinson said: “We are gaining a clearer idea of what happened at the scene thanks to information supplied by the public and by reviewing CCTV.

“Firstly, it is apparent that members of the public bravely tried to intervene to stop the attack and their actions were very courageous.

“We are speaking to the families of those concerned and doing all we can to support them at this terrible time.

“We can now confirm that both the deceased were previously known to each other and there are no outstanding suspects.

"A man, who was the driver of a car, has been arrested and bailed for a very serious offence and we must carry out a full investigation, looking at all the circumstances.

“Lastly, we appreciate the support we have received from the public. A number of people have already come forward, but we are still asking for anyone who has not to make contact with us.

“Any information could be vital in helping us fully understand why this dreadful incident happened.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/17436068/murdered-womans-family-hail-hero-driver-knifeman/

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 04:13:22 PM »

‘Hero’ driver who ran over and killed Maida Vale knifeman urges police to drop murder inquiry
Twenty-six-year-old says he ‘only intended to protect those being attacked’ as he speaks out for first time

Offline Wonderfulspam

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 06:14:49 PM »

'This man is a hero, police have done the sensible thing': Family of mother who was stabbed to death by ex-husband are 'delighted' as detectives DROP murder probe into driver who tried to stop attack that left them both dead

Yasmin Wafah Chkaifi, 43, died after attack by Leon Mccaskie, 41, in Maida Vale, West London, on January 24

Motorist 'Abraham', 26, intervened by ploughing into Mccaskie but was then arrested on suspicion of murder

75,000 people signed petition calling for him not to face criminal charges amid calls for him to be honoured

Police confirm driver will 'face no further police action' after officers studied CCTV and spoke to witnesses

Abraham is 'grateful that they have taken sensible course of action' and thanked people for supporting him

Aunt of Ms Chkaifi, known only as Hafida, says family are 'delighted' that police have 'done the sensible thing'

The have-a-go 'hero' driver who mowed down and killed a knifeman while he was stabbing to death a mother-of-two will face no further action, Scotland Yard revealed today as the woman's family said they were 'delighted' that police had 'done the sensible thing'.

Yasmin Wafah Chkaifi, 43, died after the 'terrifying' attack by ex-husband Leon Mccaskie, 41, despite the efforts of the motorist - 'Abraham' - who intervened by ploughing into him in Maida Vale, West London, on January 24.

Friends of the 26-year-old driver, a Chechen electrician who was arrested on suspicion of murder after he drove his Renault Clio into Mccaskie to try to stop the carnage, said he has been 'living a nightmare' ever since.

More than 75,000 people signed a petition calling for him not to face criminal charges – and relatives and friends of Miss Chkaifi had called for the police probe to be dropped and for Abraham to be honoured for his bravery.

Today, Scotland Yard confirmed the driver will 'face no further police action' after officers studied CCTV footage, spoke to witnesses and detectives and looked at the legal position on 'self-defence and defence of another'.

Abraham said today that he was 'grateful that they have taken this sensible course of action' and that he wanted to 'express my gratitude to the British public who supported me so vocally at this most stressful and trying time'.

In a statement released by his lawyer Mohammed Akunjee, Abraham said: 'I have learnt from my solicitors that the Met Police have taken the decision to take no further action against me concerning my arrest under suspicion for murder. I am grateful that they have taken this sensible course of action.

'I will of course continue to assist them and any coroner's inquest should the need arise. I once again wish to express my gratitude to the British public who supported me so vocally at this most stressful and trying time.

'I also wish to express my gratitude to my solicitor Mr Akunjee who supported myself and my family through this process. I hope that in my actions a message has been sent to society: should you see an evil it is a duty upon you to stop it with your hands, if you cannot then you should stop it by speaking out, if you cannot then at the very least you should hate it with your heart. May peace be upon you all.'

Also reacting to the news was the aunt of Ms Chkaifi, known only as Hafida, who told MailOnline: 'This is wonderful news. For us this man is a hero and for once, the police have done the sensible thing. We are delighted that he will not face any criminal charges because all he was trying to do was save Yasmine. We would love to meet him and thank him for what he did but we don't know where he is and don't even have a telephone number for him.

'If somebody could help us find him that would be amazing. The whole family is really suffering at the moment so it's lovely to receive some good news at this difficult time. We are so happy that common sense has prevailed.'

Abraham's lawyer Mr Akunjee had earlier tweeted: 'Good news - the Met Police have confirmed that there will be no further action with respect to our client 'Abraham' concerning his arrest under suspicion of murder.'

Detective Chief Inspector Neil Rawlinson of the Metropolitan Police's Specialist Crime Command, who has led the investigation, said today: 'Having reviewed the CCTV evidence and taken statements of numerous members of the public and attending officers, as well as reviewing the legal position regarding self-defence and defence of another, a decision has been taken that the driver of the car, a 26-year-old man will face no further police action.

'He is considered a vital witness to our investigation and will be offered support from professionals to help him come to terms with the terrifying situation he was confronted with. It is vitally important that when a person dies there is a thorough investigation into all of the circumstances and this has taken place. Such decisions must be thoroughly examined and while this process takes time this has been a priority for my team.

'The man's legal advisors have been informed of this decision. Inquests have opened in relation to both deaths and my team will continue to work to provide evidence for the coroner. We continue to appeal for witnesses to this incident who have yet to speak to police to come forward and do so.'

Abraham had said last week he did 'not see why I as the person who tried to assist in the defence of other human beings remain arrested and on bail under suspicion of murder' and urged police to instead treat him as a witness.

It also emerged after the attack that McCaskie had been due in court on January 27 for breaching a stalking order taken out to protect Miss Chkaifi, which barred him from contacting her. The stabbing took place nearly three weeks after a warrant without bail had been issued when McCaskie failed to appear in court on January 4.

On January 27, in a statement issued on Twitter both in writing and in a video through Mr Akunjee, Abraham said: 'I witnessed a man repeatedly stabbing a defenceless woman on the pavement a short distance in front of my car.

'Members of the public were attempting to intervene. The attacker was wielding a knife and was threatening those brave citizens too. My instant thought was to protect the woman who was being stabbed and the public who were also being threatened. The vehicles ahead of me moved off, which gave me the opportunity to intervene.

'I drove my vehicle towards the attacker in order to get him away from the woman he was attacking. I did not intend to harm the attacker. I only intended to protect those being attacked.'

He continued: 'My vehicle struck the attacker and he was taken under my car, causing it to stall. I could not reverse my car to free him. I and the other passers-by attempted to lift the car away from the attacker so we could provide the man with first aid.

'Unfortunately we were unsuccessful with this and I have since learned that both the young lady and her attacker have died. I am deeply sorry that the man I tried to stop from attacking other people has died.

'It was never my intention to harm him, I just wanted to stop him from hurting anybody further . My only regret is that God did not allow me to be present at the scene sooner so that my intervention may have saved the life of the young woman concerned.'

Abraham added last week that he had asked Mr Akunjee - a high-profile lawyer who is best known for fighting for ISIS bride Shamima Begum's return to the UK - to request that the Metropolitan Police de-arrested him and instead treated him 'as a witness to a tragic event rather than as a criminal as they currently are'.

He said last week: 'I understand that the police are doing their job and that my being arrested is not unusual. However, I do not see why I as the person who tried to assist in the defence of other human beings remain arrested and on bail under suspicion of murder.

'I have asked my solicitor to contact the Metropolitan Police to request that they consider de-arresting me and begin treating me as a witness to a tragic event rather than as a criminal as they currently are.'

MailOnline asked Mr Akunjee's firm, Waterford Solicitors, how he came to represent Abraham. The lawyer has previously done pro-bono work, including for Begum, although it is not known if that was the case with Abraham.

Meanwhile, Westminster Coroner's Court heard today that McCaskie was already wanted by police for breaching a restraining order which Ms Chkaifi had taken out against him for being abusive.

The inquest was attended over videolink by many members of her family, including her husband Joseph Salmon and two sons.

Giving evidence, Mr Rawlinson said: 'Yasmin Chkaifi and Leon McCaskie had been in a relationship that ended several years ago.'

But he said there had been 'allegations of domestic abuse' and a Stalking Prevention Order was issued against McCaskie, adding: 'Leon had been arrested and charged for breaching this order, but failed to appear for his first hearing at court. A warrant was issued for his arrest on the January 4, 2022. The two parties lived very close to one another in the Maida Vale area.

'On Monday, January 24, 2022 at about 9am, Leon accosted Yasmin in the street, and repeatedly stabbed her with a knife. A member of public in a passing car, saw this and used his vehicle to drive into Leon in an attempt to stop the assault. Both Leon and Yasmin were declared deceased at the scene.

'An investigation has been taking place with me as the senior investigating officer. We have secured CCTV footage of the incident and obtained statements from several eyewitnesses who told us what they saw.

'We do continue to make efforts to get statements from other potential witnesses whose details we have. Police action between January 4 and 24 is currently subject to an independent investigation by the Independent Office for Police Conduct.'

Ms Chkaifi's cause of death was multiple stab wounds. Coroner Professor Fiona Wilcox said: 'I would like to pass my sympathy to Yasmin's family for their loss. This is a truly shocking and distressing death and I cannot imagine what you must be going through as a family at this time.'

The inquest into Mr McCaskie's death was opened and adjourned in a separate remote hearing. The court heard that his cause of death was multiple injuries. Ms Wilcox also expressed her sympathy to his mother, who was listening to proceedings on the phone.

Last week, friends of the driver, who was heard saying 'what have I done?' after the incident, revealed that the electrician was still in shock.

A friend, who did not want to be named, said: 'If he ever sees anyone in trouble he will always try to help. He's a good Muslim man and couldn't bear to see the woman being attacked.

'He was on his way to a job and stopped to do the right thing. He's in shock about what happened. It's been a nightmare for him.'

Another friend, who did not want to be named, said: 'This guy is a family man with children and was just doing the right thing. It was instinct and an act of human kindness.

Another said: 'He is one of the most peaceful and good people I've ever met. He would never walk away when somebody needs help. He risked his life to save this poor woman. Police should praise him and let him go to his little children and wife.'

Last week, the Metropolitan Police said the driver had been 'fully co-operative' after he was arrested on suspicion of murder following the incident. 

He had been bailed until a date in late February while evidence was evaluated.

The Met is also now facing an investigation itself into the attack after it emerged that the force was repeatedly warned about former company director Mccaskie's abusive behaviour.

A friend said last week how Miss Chkaifi grew concerned that her ex-husband would try to kill her in April 2020 after she learned that he was spying on her.

In messages to Adele-Sara Richards, Miss Chkaifi said: 'He's had cameras in my house recording me for months. He's stolen my mail, my phone, has access to all my personal data. I think he will kill me.'

Miss Chkaifi, who had two sons aged 16 and 18, told friends that she had gone to police about the incident and that a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

The mature student secured a restraining order against Mccaskie after the breakdown of their two-year marriage and even had a panic alarm fitted in her flat.

A warrant for his arrest was issued just four weeks ago after he failed to turn up for a court hearing relating to a breach of the stalking order.

One of Miss Chkaifi's sons accused the Met of doing too little to protect his mother and said that officers had been contacted numerous times about Mccaskie's harassment.

Mccaskie was convicted of obstructing a police officer and driving without insurance in 2017.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct watchdog is now deciding if it will open an investigation into Scotland Yard's handling of the case after the force referred itself.

A spokesman said: 'We can confirm that we have received a referral from the Metropolitan Police regarding their contact with Yasmin Chkaifi prior to her tragic death in Maida Vale, London on January 24.

'We are currently assessing the available information, and have requested more, to determine what further action may be required from us.'

Tributes have been paid to Ms Chkaifi, who was a qualified childminder, had worked in a school and was studying for a master's degree.

Ms Richards, who described how she supported her after her mother died, said: 'She was a good soul. It's very rare in life you come across a good soul. She always had a happy disposition. She was just a lovely person.'

Another friend, American PhD student Olivia Jones, 30, who lives in Brent, said: 'I didn't know Yasmin well, but she made me feel as though I did. A year ago, Yasmin opened her doors to my partner and I at the time and hosted us for a meal.

'She was incredibly kind, hospitable and an amazing cook and dancer. She had a bubbly personality and a confidence about her that was so attractive. She was proud of her Moroccan heritage and a spiritual woman. We spoke about Islam, identity and social justice. She was a good person.'

Family members paid tribute to Miss Chkaifi, who was also known as Wafat, in a statement on Facebook.

They said: 'She was full of life, always stayed positive and always saw the best in everyone.

'Wafat loved to laugh, dance and leave a special impact on everyone's life that got to share it with her. She has indeed left many broken from this awful and tragic news. Wafat was the most pure and genuine soul you would meet. She has left two amazing boys who will continue her legacy of being pure souls.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10464559/Hero-driver-free-man-Met-Police-drop-murder-probe-motorist.html