Author Topic: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?  (Read 51580 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Is the Coronavirus threat being overegged?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2020, 10:48:18 AM »
You only have to look at whats happened in Italy to see its not being overeggged.
 the virus is causing around 15 times more deaths than normal flu and as I undestand its also more infectious. we will know a lot more in  aweek but looking at italy can we afford to be complacent.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2020, 11:33:25 AM »
You only have to look at whats happened in Italy to see its not being overeggged.
 the virus is causing around 15 times more deaths than normal flu and as I undestand its also more infectious. we will know a lot more in  aweek but looking at italy can we afford to be complacent.

Now that it's been declared a pandemic, I think Boris' meeting today will yield stronger precautions. That's my guess anyway---------.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »
Thanks for that!  They try to design the vaccine to the strains most likely to go around here, but no idea how successful that is. I suspect quite a few over 65s don't get vaccinated.

Apparently, in the UK, the flu vaccine uptake for over 65s is around 70%----I've now actually bothered to look it up!

The uptake for young children is around 45%.

Thought it would be more.

Offline Erngath

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 11:42:36 AM »
Apparently, in the UK, the flu vaccine uptake for over 65s is around 70%----I've now actually bothered to look it up!

The uptake for young children is around 45%.

Thought it would be more.

Here in Scotland, there are 38 confirmed cases and 2,316 negative test results.
No deaths as yet, thankfully.
I do wonder though if some folk have/had it and recovered but it has gone unrecorded.
I fluctuate between panic mode and " it will be alright " mode.

Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2020, 11:50:43 AM »

Here in Scotland, there are 38 confirmed cases and 2,316 negative test results.
No deaths as yet, thankfully.
I do wonder though if some folk have/had it and recovered but it has gone unrecorded.
I fluctuate between panic mode and " it will be alright " mode.

I wonder exactly the same as you. Everywhere I go there are people coughing---pretty much par for the course for this time of year, but perfectly possible that some of these people unknowingly have a mild form of coronavirus.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2020, 12:06:51 PM »
as I understand the death rate from normal flu is 0.1%......in italy its currently 7% for corona virus

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2020, 05:52:27 PM »
What I read last night was a surprise:

1.  There is no successful vaccine against any coronavirus disease in existence.  So it would seem any vaccine is years away.  I had been hoping some sort of vaccine might nip this pandemic in the bud, but I've changed my optimism ATM.

2. If we look at the figures there are the number of coronavirus cases and the deaths but in between those two are the number of patients yet to recover,  From the large number of current cases, it seems to have the potential to be a chronic disease (possibly lung damage?).  It seems to be an expensive disease to treat in that respect.

Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2020, 09:38:51 PM »
What I read last night was a surprise:

1.  There is no successful vaccine against any coronavirus disease in existence.  So it would seem any vaccine is years away.  I had been hoping some sort of vaccine might nip this pandemic in the bud, but I've changed my optimism ATM.

2. If we look at the figures there are the number of coronavirus cases and the deaths but in between those two are the number of patients yet to recover,  From the large number of current cases, it seems to have the potential to be a chronic disease (possibly lung damage?).  It seems to be an expensive disease to treat in that respect.

It seems that the virus was engineered in a Chinese laboratory in Wuhan Region from where it got out.  Whether this was intentional, accidental or malicious might never be known. What is known is that the Chinese hid the fact that this virus had escaped their laboratory for several months until they couldn't hide it any longer.

As you stated Rob, there is no known cure for this virus and it could take years to find one.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 09:41:09 PM by Angelo222 »
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »
It seems that the virus was engineered in a Chinese laboratory in Wuhan Region from where it got out.  Whether this was intentional, accidental or malicious might never be known. What is known is that the Chinese hid the fact that this virus had escaped their laboratory for several months until they couldn't hide it any longer.

As you stated Rob, there is no known cure for this virus and it could take years to find one.
Sounds highly improbable to me, where’s the evidence?
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
Sounds highly improbable to me, where’s the evidence?
It certainly is a rumour going around.    I'm sure they knew about the condition for a long time before it was announced to the world.
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 07:23:22 AM »
It certainly is a rumour going around.    I'm sure they knew about the condition for a long time before it was announced to the world.
Rumours are not reliable evidence.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 07:43:08 AM »
Rumours are not reliable evidence.
I didn't accept the rumor either.  But this is the best documentary I've seen so far https://youtu.be/TPpoJGYlW54

on page titled "The conspiracy theories about the origins of the coronavirus, debunked" https://www.vox.com/2020/3/4/21156607/how-did-the-coronavirus-get-started-china-wuhan-lab
Moderation

Offline Robittybob1

Moderation

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 05:55:35 PM »
OK, how quickly does this take?

Depends how quickly it's allowed to spread...fast enough to create herd immunity but not too fast to overwhelm the NHS