Author Topic: Judge rules no case to answer in Dewani murder trial.  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Holly Goodhead

Re: Judge rules no case to answer in Dewani murder trial.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »
The Daily Mail report seems to be based on the submissions by the prosecution.  The judge has given her opnion on the relaiability of the witnesses and the prosecution case.

Are you saying that you think the case should have been proceeded with, even with the police having four years to prepare, the witnesses producing contradictory evidence and the "star" witness receiving a sentence reduced from 25 years to 18 years in return for his testimony? 

In my view the Judge was correct, and justice would appear to have been served. 

That it was the "wrong" verdict for some members of this forum is neither here nor there.

Given that all posters have access to the same info and appear to have similar abilities in terms of intelligence, reasoning etc why in your opinion Jean-Pierre do posters reach different conclusions?  Or is the conclusion just a view on par with say politics, religion where posters will have different opinions?
Just my opinion of course but Jeremy Bamber is innocent and a couple from UK, unknown to T9, abducted Madeleine McCann - motive unknown.  Was J J murdered as a result of identifying as a goth?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »
Given that all posters have access to the same info and appear to have similar abilities in terms of intelligence, reasoning etc why in your opinion Jean-Pierre do posters reach different conclusions?  Or is the conclusion just a view on par with say politics, religion where posters will have different opinions?

I dont know, Holly.  Each of sees the case from a different perspective.

Personally I am a firm believer in "innocent until proven guilty" - and in this case the prosecution did not make their case, and quite correctly the Judge dismissed the case.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 12:53:23 PM »
We are maybe slaves to our own prejudices?
I believe if the judge said the case for the prosecution was too weak to stand up to scrutiny then it was and I have no reason to doubt her conclusion. She maybe should have come to that conclusion a bit earlier but that is merely my observation with no sound basis. I would not support the "bent judge in a bent country" theory until she is proven to be bent and her judgement proven to be unsound.
A question which often passes through my mind in high profile cases such as this one is: "are people looking for justice or revenge"?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 07:11:41 PM »
We are maybe slaves to our own prejudices?
I believe if the judge said the case for the prosecution was too weak to stand up to scrutiny then it was and I have no reason to doubt her conclusion. She maybe should have come to that conclusion a bit earlier but that is merely my observation with no sound basis. I would not support the "bent judge in a bent country" theory until she is proven to be bent and her judgement proven to be unsound.
A question which often passes through my mind in high profile cases such as this one is: "are people looking for justice or revenge"?

The judge was wrong.  Dewani knew that if he delayed the case long enough that conflicting accounts would inevitably enter into the equation and so it has come to pass.  Hopefully Anni's family will get justice for her in another jurisdiction.

Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Offline lane99

South Africa: Murder Tourism Capital of the World?
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 02:50:18 AM »
Dewani chose his killing field very well. Head over to any taxi stand, offer a few hundred bucks for a murder, and you'll have a line-up down the block of willing recruits.

Your chance of getting caught by police is close to zero.  On the off-chance that you are, a smug and compliant judiciary can be counted on to either misunderstand the evidence of your complicity or, even better, simply plug its ears and refuse to listen to it.

From the moment Shrien Dewani lured her onto the plane to South Africa, Anni never stood a chance.