Author Topic: Consider this scenario - Would a guilty person keep their case alive for many years?  (Read 59096 times)

Offline pathfinder73

Scenario:

Your child dies whilst you're on holiday and (for reasons best known to yourself) you claim he or she must have been abducted.

As a result, the case attracts the attention of the world's media but more importantly the police forces of both the country in which you were holidaying and from your own country. 

The police are suspicious, the media which was supportive in the early days has turned on you, printing all sorts of uncomfortable headlines heavily hinting that you have done something untoward with your child. 

Eventually you are made chief suspect in your child's disappearance and every aspect of your holiday, your relationship with your child and family and friends, your comings and goings etc is put under the microscope.  The police bust their guts trying to find some evidence that you hid your child's body.

Meanwhile most people in your home country and in the country in which you holidayed are convinced you're guilty of something.

Eventually, after months of investigation and trying to build a case against you, the police concede they lack any evidence against you, and you are no longer suspects.  The case is shelved indefinitely.  You sue the media for libel and settle out of court - a nice big juicy payment for your bank account.

Now, at this point you'd be forgiven for going to ground, issuing one final statement to the media along the lines of "we have come to terms with the fact that our daughter is gone, and just want to be left alone to grieve", then slink away into obscurity to spend all that lovely lolly you screwed out of the public and the papers. 

But no.  This is not what you do.

Instead you spend a small fortune on various private investigators, you write a book which gets serialised in the country's biggest circulation newspaper, you appear on TV chat shows, all allegedly to keep your child's profile high in the public consciousness even though you know what happened.

Then to cap it all, three whole years after the case was shelved you go to the highest man in your land,  the prime minister, by sending him a letter demanding:

"a joint INDEPENDENT, TRANSPARENT and COMPREHENSIVE review of ALL information held in relation to our child's disappearance".

You are granted your wish and the country's most esteemed police force is drafted in to sift through all the evidence all over again, at great cost to the public purse. 

You make yourself available for more TV appearances, BBC Crimewatch even, appealing for people to come forward who may have actually seen something.

The question I have to ask you is:

ARE YOU F@@KING MAD????

If not, what is your motivation for doing all of this?

Family and friends would never allow you to drop it and Darren Vickers did the same so the police wouldn't suspect him i.e. reverse psychology.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Alfie

Family and friends would never allow you to drop it and Darren Vickers did the same so the police wouldn't suspect him i.e. reverse psychology.
1) family and friends would never allow it?  That's only in your opinion.  Everyone's family and friends are different.  Mine would I'm sure be understanding, possibly even encourage me to try and accept the inevitable and get on with my life, especially if my health appeared to be suffering.  If I was a friend of someone in that situation that would be my advice, indeed it would have been my advice to the parents in Alfie's scenario when they were released from arguido status and the case shelved, not that they would have listened, as unlike me they still seem to have hope and are not easily defeated.

2) Darren Vickers is not someone I am familiar with.  Did the case against him get shelved, and did he campaign to the PM for his crimes to be reviewed by the Met?  Perhaps you could provide me with a link?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:41:55 PM by John »

Offline G-Unit

I would feel fairly confident if I knew there was no evidence the child had been harmed. If there was any it would have appeared by now.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:42:27 PM by John »
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

I would feel fairly confident if I knew there was no evidence the child had been harmed. If there was any it would have appeared by now.

i'm still wating for you to explain your idea of being cleared...cleared of what
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:43:07 PM by John »

Offline pathfinder73

1) family and friends would never allow it?  That's only in your opinion.  Everyone's family and friends are different.  Mine would I'm sure be understanding, possibly even encourage me to try and accept the inevitable and get on with my life, especially if my health appeared to be suffering.  If I was a friend of someone in that situation that would be my advice, indeed it would have been my advice to the parents in Alfie's scenario when they were released from arguido status and the case shelved, not that they would have listened, as unlike me they still seem to have hope and are not easily defeated.

2) Darren Vickers is not someone I am familiar with.  Did the case against him get shelved, and did he campaign to the PM for his crimes to be reviewed by the Met?  Perhaps you could provide me with a link?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:43:57 PM by John »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Mr Gray

Yes, we know.

I certainly do and I think most sensible intelligent poeple do...I value JO Cox far more than the man who murdered her

Offline John

This thread has been trimmed.  Posters are reminded that this thread started by Alfie is purely a scenario and does not relate to any specific individual or individuals.  Posts which associate this scenario with any real life case will be edited or removed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 08:51:52 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline G-Unit

I certainly do and I think most sensible intelligent poeple do...I value JO Cox far more than the man who murdered her

Well that's an easy one. Do you rank people in general by their choice of profession, by their unpaid good works, by their personal attributes or what? Who is the top person in the UK in your opinion? The Queen, her heir, the Prime Minister, or do they all come behind, for example, a Professor of Cardiac Imaging and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist?
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

Well that's an easy one. Do you rank people in general by their choice of profession, by their unpaid good works, by their personal attributes or what? Who is the top person in the UK in your opinion? The Queen, her heir, the Prime Minister, or do they all come behind, for example, a Professor of Cardiac Imaging and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist?

so do you not rank poeple...top person to me...if i had to choose... is the Dalai Llama

to go a little deeper I would rank people on how far they fulfil their potential to help others
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 07:58:42 PM by davel »

Offline G-Unit

so do you not rank poeple...top person to me...if i had to choose... is the Dalai Llama

to go a little deeper I would rank people on how far they fulfil their potential to help others

I was once asked to name a well-known woman I most admired. I don't have one. I think we can only really assess people we know well. Jimmy Savile raised £40 million pounds for charity, and volunteered in hospitals but he wasn't a nice person, it appears.
Result = happy posting.

Offline John

The human being is a complicated creature.   People can never be taken at face value.  It is wrong to assume that every doctor is a nice person who is kind and compassionate just as it is wrong to think every offender is cruel and dangerous.  There is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to judging people.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:46:18 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

The human being is a complicated creature.   People can never be taken at face value.  It is wrong to assume that every doctor is a nice person who is kind and compassionate just as it is wrong to think every offender is cruel and dangerous.  There is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to judging people.

No one is taking anyone at face value....my son was at leicester and gerry was very well liked and had everyones support
[ off topic ]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 10:41:59 PM by davel »

Offline G-Unit

Never judge a book by it's cover
Handsome is as handsome does
A wolf in sheep's clothing
Result = happy posting.

Offline Alice Purjorick

Never judge a book by it's cover
Handsome is as handsome does
A wolf in sheep's clothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lch0o4wwGyw
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline mercury

Indeed

Profession can never be used as a benchmark of much character wise
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 01:32:53 AM by Brietta »