Author Topic: Consider this scenario - Would a guilty person keep their case alive for many years?  (Read 59098 times)

Offline faithlilly

Well let's see....if that person was me and I'd employed detectives to investigate my child's disappearance, the child whose body I had hidden away somewhere I would expect these detectives to focus at some point in their investigation on sightings of the possible perpetrator (one of which was certainly me).  I might also expect them as part of that investigation to ask the witnesses to describe the potential perpetrator, even to get an artist's impression of what this person might look like (crazy idea I know, maybe "normal" criminal types don't have such crazy ideas!)

But if it is certain the hypothetical individual knew by the time the efits were drawn up that he had been all but recognised it would look strange if he was then to forbid the PIs any course of action they thought necessary. Anyway if the hypothetical individual was going to suppress anything produced or any information received which did not agree with their agenda then it wouldn't really matter what the PIs did.

Of course the hypothetical individual would have to choose their next PIs more wisely and perhaps only give them access to the parts of the files they needed to.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Alfie

But if it is certain the hypothetical individual knew by the time the efits were drawn up that he had been all but recognised it would look strange if he was then to forbid the PIs any course of action they thought necessary. Anyway if the hypothetical individual was going to suppress anything produced or any information received which did not agree with their agenda then it wouldn't really matter what the PIs did.

Of course the hypothetical individual would have to choose their next PIs more wisely and perhaps only give them access to the parts of the files they needed to.
Of course it would be a whole lot simpler and a lot less strange to just not hire any PIs at all, or to tell everyone you had, but then actually never do.  Who would be any the wiser?  It makes little or no sense to hire professionals to gather information about your own crimes, for them to uncover evidence that you did it, then expect them to sit out their days knowing you have suppressed it and not to take that information to the police, or worse still the papers where they could stand to make a small fortune - what price for rock solid evidence of your guilt?  It's an absurdly foolish risk you're suggesting, no doubt about it!

Offline G-Unit

Of course it would be a whole lot simpler and a lot less strange to just not hire any PIs at all, or to tell everyone you had, but then actually never do.  Who would be any the wiser?  It makes little or no sense to hire professionals to gather information about your own crimes, for them to uncover evidence that you did it, then expect them to sit out their days knowing you have suppressed it and not to take that information to the police, or worse still the papers where they could stand to make a small fortune - what price for rock solid evidence of your guilt?  It's an absurdly foolish risk you're suggesting, no doubt about it!

Of course it could be that a helpful rich person suggested it and offered to help with the cost. Difficult to say 'no thanks' to such a kind offer.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

Of course it could be that a helpful rich person suggested it and offered to help with the cost. Difficult to say 'no thanks' to such a kind offer.
On the contrary, very easy to say no thanks.  "I don't want to get in the way of the official investigation and piss off the Portuguese"  "It's illegal to mount a private investigation in Portugal" "Thanks for your kind offer, perhaps we can take you up on it if and when the case is ever shelved?"  When your very own liberty is at stake I'm sure you could come up with a few other excuses for turning down the opportunity of having professional investigators look for evidence of your own wrong-doing!

Offline faithlilly

On the contrary, very easy to say no thanks.  "I don't want to get in the way of the official investigation and piss off the Portuguese"  "It's illegal to mount a private investigation in Portugal" "Thanks for your kind offer, perhaps we can take you up on it if and when the case is ever shelved?"  When your very own liberty is at stake I'm sure you could come up with a few other excuses for turning down the opportunity of having professional investigators look for evidence of your own wrong-doing!

If the individual had sufficient control to keep a critical report so buried that arguably the best police force in the world had to gain permission from the directors of the hypothetical fund which paid for the PIs to even see it what did he have to fear?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline mercury

Thats a bad excuse if thats what the hypothetical parent did eventually do

Take a few steps back
IF you have carried off a crime and are sure you werent wtnessed and were arrogant enough to try and brush off any that might turn up and above all proclaim your innocence by employing detectives to search for your child, the perfect PR, you might well get away with it

@pegasus, shocking!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:00:32 PM by John »

Offline sadie

Thats a bad excuse if thats what the hypothetical parent did eventually do

Take a few steps back
IF you have carried off a crime and are sure you werent wtnessed and were arrogant enough to try and brush off any that might turn up and above all proclaim your innocence by employing detectives to search for your child, the perfect PR, you might well get away with it

@pegasus, shocking!!

Nobody can be SURE that they haven't been witnessed and that the Witness will not come forward at a later date.

Offline mercury

Nobody can be SURE that they haven't been witnessed and that the Witness will not come forward at a later date.

They can be depending on what happened
And even if only 99 per cent sure might take the risk, be silly not to if youre saving yur hide

Offline ShiningInLuz

Any hypothetical perpetrator would know if there were any obvious close encounters, and from the media firestorm, would be well aware of whether any potential risks existed.
What's up, old man?

Offline sadie

Any hypothetical perpetrator would know if there were any obvious close encounters, and from the media firestorm, would be well aware of whether any potential risks existed.

I agree to a point, but there would always be a niggling doubt.  "Did someone see/ hear something?"

Info has come forward years after some cases.  I doubt any intelligent persons would take the risk

Offline mercury

I agree to a point, but there would always be a niggling doubt.  "Did someone see/ hear something?"

Info has come forward years after some cases.  I doubt any intelligent persons would take the risk

Intellgent +guilty dont cancel each other out, save your bacon is the first port of call

Offline G-Unit

Make sure you have an alibi if you were seen.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Alfie

If the individual had sufficient control to keep a critical report so buried that arguably the best police force in the world had to gain permission from the directors of the hypothetical fund which paid for the PIs to even see it what did he have to fear?
PIs have mouths, they cannot be controlled indefinitely.  And by calling for a review you are challenging the police to ask for the report in the first place - quite nonsensical!

Alfie

In my scenario the protagonist WAS witnessed by numerous people.

Alfie

Make sure you have an alibi if you were seen.
A false alibi would require co-operation from a third party.  Very risky, especially if you're relying on someone who isn't that close to you, such as a family member.