Author Topic: Why would a neighbour say there was a smell of decomposition?  (Read 6676 times)

Offline Daisy

The following extracts are taken from the Honourable Judge Reddihough’s summing up of the trial:

“I was aware during late summer of a horrible smell.  It was close by our back
   door”
She and her husband were keen on watching hats which roosted over
   their utility room, and it was when they were outside doing that that they
   became aware of the smell….”it was late August or early September…when I
   first noticed this terrible smell.  I initially thought it was the drains, but it wasn’t
   and it disappeared after 2 days…”

I’ve no doubt SPr and her husband were telling the truth when they recalled smelling something, but whatever and whenever it was, it was coming from their own property not ours:

“The smell extended from the front of (our) garage by about 6 or 8 metres” IPr
   “She agreed it was very localized and none of her neighbours had made any
   mention of it at all..Having been reminded of a David Attenborough film
   (featuring) a cave full of bat droppings, IPr was not very convinced by a
   suggestion that this smell was caused by the bats or bats’ droppings” Hon.
   Judge Reddihough.

SPr’s home sat adjacent to our garden, but about half an acre of land separated her property from ours.  There is simply no way that the smell could have emanated from anywhere other than her own garage/back door.

“Bear in mind that nobody beyond SPr ever became aware at any stage of this
   or any other horrible smell” – Hon. Judge Reddihough.

Our home was positioned at the top of the Close, and the garage looked out over the main street and a public footpath.  Anyone wishing to enter or leave the Close had to walk past our house – including SPr and her her husband IPr:

“(IPr) went for a run …and had gone past number 2(the family home) in doing
   that, and there was no sign of this smell as he ran past number 2” – Hon.
   Judge Reddihough.

The village postman came to our front door every morning.  Neighbours even went into our garden to water the plants:

“When I went around, the plants looked as though they had been watered, but I
   didn’t know by who as we hadn’t had any rain” SPi.

Had a body been decomposing in the garage, as the prosecution claimed, or anywhere else for that matter, all of us would have smelt it: but that just simply wasn’t the case.  This was nothing more than a red herring, needlessly deployed by the prosecution to distract the jury from the real substance of the case.

Offline John

Re: Why would a neighbour say there was a smell of decomposition?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »
I tend to agree on that point.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline mrswah

• Senior Moderator
  • Thinking outside the box, as usual-------
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
I tend to agree on that point.

Yes, I do too.

Offline John

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
An attempt to burn the body probably failed so what remained was dismembered and put in plastic bags before being hastily buried.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.

Offline Myster

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »
An attempt to burn the body probably failed so what remained was dismembered and put in plastic bags before being hastily buried.
But we still don't have any confirmation of any burning or dismemberment from pathology report(s) which Daisy is supposed to be posting.

I jumped the gun by mistaking a rotting body for bat doodah... not going to fall for the Daily Mail's wicked ways this time!
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 01:23:58 PM »

The judge made it clear at the start of the trial that the body was NOT dismembered. Why do you keep quoting this?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »
The judge made it clear at the start of the trial that the body was NOT dismembered. Why do you keep quoting this?

The body wasn't burned or dismembered?
what was the cause of death?

How many ordinary people can identify the smell of a decomposing body? Extrodinary!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:24:39 PM by Miss Taken Identity »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

My mistake on the dismembering bit.  There appears to be little dispute however that the body was burned and body parts put in plastic bags before being encased in concrete.  The fact that the body was burned meant that the pathologist could not ascertain the cause of death.  Whoever killed Sami made a huge effort to cover up the cause of his death.  For all we know he was poisoned.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:30:47 PM by John »

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 03:01:58 PM »
Hmm yes indeed. But by whom?

So an attempt to burn the body will have given off a vile, disgusting smell, body fat and bone is not a pleasant smell at all! I read about this when I was reading about the death camps In Gemrany. The smell was obnoxious according to soldiers and victims alike.

So maybe the neighbour  had a whif of that. which would be completely different from a decomposing body.
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Daisy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »
The body wasn't burned or dismembered?
what was the cause of death?

How many ordinary people can identify the smell of a decomposing body? Extrodinary!

Please read the information I have already posted.  The cause of death was unascertained.

Offline Myster

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 06:44:15 AM »
If the body was stored for a period whether in the garage or elsewhere and later moved, then parts such as the feet could fall off and so resemble dismemberment. If they were cut off though, there might be tell-tale saw marks on the bones.

This is why we need to see results of the pathology report.

Offline Myster

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 06:57:27 AM »
Please read the information I have already posted.  The cause of death was unascertained.
Surely the pathologist could recognise if any part of the body had been burned, even if only partially - such as carbonization of the skin?  Not necessarily that he died that way, but evidence of a first attempt at disposing of the body.

Offline Daisy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:02:11 AM »
If the body was stored for a period whether in the garage or elsewhere and later moved, then parts such as the feet could fall off and so resemble dismemberment. If they were cut off though, there might be tell-tale saw marks on the bones.

This is why we need to see results of the pathology report.

I will post it as soon as I receive it. Mark will not have it in prison so it takes time for paperwork to be scanned and sent out.

Offline John

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
Having the pathologists report will answer some questions and hopefully put the myths to bed.

Offline Fact Checker

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 04:31:42 PM »
So an attempt to burn the body will have given off a vile, disgusting smell... So maybe the neighbour had a whif of that. which would be completely different from a decomposing body.

This is an interesting idea, but the smell the couple complained of was far too localised for that, as you can see from these photos:

http://www.freemarkalexander.org/mistake-3

According to SP, the smell “was close by [her] back door”, extending “from the front of [her] garage and into [her] garden by about 6 or 8 metres”. Smoke from a fire of the type you are describing would travel over a much wider radius. The Judge noted that "she agreed it was very localised and none of her neighbours had made any mention of it at all"... "Bear in mind that at no stage did anybody else notice any smell in or near to number 2"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:28:11 AM by Fact Checker »
This account is run by volunteers on the freeMarkAlexander.org team. We welcome healthy debate, but please try to avoid making unsubstantiated or libelous claims. Please excuse us if we do not respond to a post immediately. We may need to conduct further research before we can answer a question fully and this might take some time. All of our posted images are licensed by freeMarkAlexander.org under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.