Author Topic: Julie Mugford's diaries  (Read 22006 times)

Offline Admin

Julie Mugford's diaries
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »

Julie was rather meticulous and like most young women kept a diary.

It is fortunate that a copy of this diary is available in relation to events which occurred around the time of the murders at White House Farm. It is clear from her entries that the whole situation was beginning to get to her and that Bamber was beginning to provide less support the longer time went on.

Jeremy with Julie Mugford at the first funeral.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:00:03 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

Re: Julie Mugford's diaries
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
Admin note:

Readers please note that we have now provided the diary text in full.

This entry although made at the front of the book in diary page dated 2 January 1985 was probably written on Thursday 8 August 1985.

(1) Wet suit - colour etc
                  - where, when

(2) Pest - dog

(3) Bicycle colour etc  where seen it before

(4) Funeral - recap
     After funeral - happy etc

(5) Video - dates
              - when return hire

(6) Burglary - K + A's   (admin note K + A refers to Karen and Andy)

(7) Morning of 8th  farm - workers

(8) Arab - Persian rugs

(9) Medical treatment Jeremy  thrush in mouth
                                           spots on penis: Sue Ford
                                           lumps etc > cancers

(Drugs) - any taken during during (MV)

"If only dogs could talk?" - Thur 8th

Killing of rats > couldn't kill people?

Society > believe murder was ultimate sin but it wasn't so.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:04:36 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 12:56:54 PM »
Admin note: This entry is dated the 6 August 1985 and contains at the top of the page information about the number of times each of the victims had been shot.

Since Julie was unaware of the murders until after daybreak on the morning of the 7 August the question must be asked as to why the entries for the 6 August are penned in afterwards?

Night/morning of 5 murders at Tolleshunt D'Arcy.
- White House Farm

1) Mr Nevill Bamber    8 x 's
2) Mrs June Bamber   5 x 's
3) Mrs Sheila Caffell   All shot twice (suicide?)
4) Nicholas Caffell       3 x 's
5) Daniel Caffell          3 x 's

Phone call from Jeremy - I had a really nice day at work - Play TT, volleyball, tennis etc with John's elder brother (really sunny).

Had a smoke with Dougie.

9.50pm - call - I spoke mostly about myself + tried to convey happiness.

Jeremy had an OK day - all day on a tractor.

Tea + discussion with family - only just arrived home.

"it's tonight or never" in reference to killing family - Sigh of relief since I presumed it was the end of subject, he said he would/may phone me later > Suse was ???? mood now bad. Went to bed at approx 11.30pm after chatting more with Dougie and Suse.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:56:57 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
The diary entry dated 7 August related the morning of the murders.

3.00am.  The phone rang, Julie jumped out of bed assuming it was Jeremy.  She says he tells her, "Everything is going well".  Julie writes....'Sheila has gone mad and his father didn't know what to do.'  Julie told him not to worry and he replied that he had not been to bed all night.  Julie told him to go to bed and try to sleep because he would think clearer. (the bit in green was crossed out)

He hung up and she returned to bed to sleep. Information sunk in..panic!

Denial of assumption..went to sleep.

5.40am.  Phone again rang and Dougie answered it, got Julie up, Jeremy in a call box.

Jeremy tells her, "Don't go to work a Panda Car will pick you up".  Says he will explain when she gets home, can't talk now coz only got 10p.

Panic!  Talked to Suse, got showered, dressed, ready by 6.05am. Panda Car arrived at 8.30am. Travelled to Catford Station.  Policeman told Suse that a number of people had died.  Travelled to Goldhanger. Stan Jones told Jeremy that she was upset.

Julie asked Jeremy, "Did you do it", to which he answered, "No Matthew did - I should have been an actor" followed by a chuckle.

Julie says she and Jeremy chatted in the bathroom out of earshot several times.

She says that they discussed on their own, how entered, money paid, order of shooting, fight, Bible and phone call.  Jeremy didn't say any more in the house in case it was bugged.

Julie wrote that she offered to ID the bodies - reassurance Jeremy asked why.  Phoned her mum and dad.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:06:33 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:19:06 PM »
Farm - feed dog and men

Ann arrived followed by the police - more statements.  Jeremy went to the solicitors about the wills, Julie writes that she was upset that he didn't go with her to the mortuary. Ann accompanied me. Statement? God, what am I supposed to say? Panic!  What had Jeremy said?

Julie ID'd the bodies but was worried about the statement and whether she may have said something she ought not to have.

Jeremy returned, wound up Ann, Peter and Anthony about the wills. he said that he had to sell everything - Julie asked if it was time?  Jeremy replied that he wanted to wind them all up.  He didn't even ask Julie how she felt - she says she was so scared.  Phoned Ali, stayed at house for night, parents went to Denmark.

Julie says she walked round the block with jeremy, told him she was so frightened, he said her statement was fine and that the trick was to tell the truth. He said that was why he had told her certain things on phone calls, he said she was not to worry, it would be fine.

Julie says she cried about the bodies and used the excuse of her exam results - couldn't cope.

Julie says Jeremy spoke to the police that afternoon but she was not permitted to be present.

Offline Admin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 01:21:15 PM »
The diary page dated 9 August 1985 has a comment at the top, "Phone Lizzie to speak to someone who cared for me".

Chris - New Zealand stayed at Goldhanger for Jeremy.

Jeremy went to speak to the farmworkers, though not into the house, Julie sat in the car.  Back to Goldhanger - Press b........s!!

Spoke to policeman at the gate about the dog and the post.  Went to Colin's late Friday evening, really pleased to see Jeremy.

Julie says that she spoke to jeremy about the incident in the car. "How could you do it Jeremy?"  He had convinced himself that he had done them all a favour.  How could he betray his friends and Colin - boys were his life?  Did he miss any of them.  Sometimes he missed his old man.

Julie writes that she is so quiet and depressed, she cannot believe that Jeremy could live such a farce for money. She was upset about the boys.

Says they talked quite a lot about the good memories before turning in to bed.

Police - an open and shut case.

Offline Admin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:34 PM »
Got up late at Colins.  Couldn't stand it in the house so went to Pizza Hut.

Again said to Jeremy how he could have done it especially to the boys.  He told me I was silly and had nothing to worry about - was an open and shut case.  Still couldn't come to terms with it.
Went to Colins, had friends round.

Went for an Indian, Jeremy paid.  Went to the Ethiopian Appeal concert, couldn't cope. Jeremy kept asking what's wrong.  Told him he knew.

Went to bed early, others sat up talking.  Jeremy joined me after 3/4 hour.

Offline Admin

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:32:19 PM »
Got up lateish I didn't want to stay and live the lie with people who really cared. Asked if we could leave early and did so.

Went to Caterham Road to pick up clothes.

Brett phoned - back from Greece.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 06:37:28 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »
Up very early, Jeremy had said he had to go to see the me (farm labourers).  Arrived at Goldhanger, Chris gave Jeremy the messages - one from Brett - had arrived in England - 1 week late and would like Jeremy to put him up but would phone. He went to stay night at Hippodrome.

Jeremy and I went to Lizzie + Charles - Cups to Fifi's.

Told Lizzie that Jeremy was the devil incarnate etc  Lizie stayed.

Went into White House farmhouse for the first time.  Jeremy play-acting.

Collected toys for Colin

Offline Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:57:18 PM »
Jeremy picked up Brett. Lizzie and I went to Colchester.  Brett and Jeremy lunch - time to catch up on gossip went to Sloppy Joes

Went with Lizzie to station then to grants.

Tea urn etc.

Brett and Jeremy went to the local with me.  I left to return to Head Street, Goldhanger, left them talking.

Admin comment.

They seem to have had a lot to discuss?

Offline Admin

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »
Lizzie returned.  Went for a meal to a French place in Maldon then to White House Farm and looked around. Jeremy searched for money. I stayed in the kitchen, couldn't bear it.

Got provisions for funeral.  Talked about hating relations etc

Choose flowers for funeral.

Offline Admin

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 03:00:41 PM »
Went to Colchester shopping.  Lizzie + I   Brett + Jeremy.

Bought suit £200  tie £30  offered to buy me a new designer dress - said NO!

Went to Miss Selfridge's then to Sloppy Joe's then home. 

Meal - ask Lizzie where?

Discussion white face black eye make up.

Jeremy and Liz sat up talking after Brett and I went to bed - suicidal - had to tell someone but who?

They came up after approx 1 hr.  Was he convincing someone else.  Was I mad?

(Editor note: Confirmed from statement that Julie got a dress in Miss Selfridge's for £32.99 which Jeremy paid for.  Also from statement suit cost £198)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:08:03 PM by John »

Offline Admin

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 03:04:09 PM »
2.30pm  Funeral of Mr and Mrs and Sheila.

Hectic - Shopping - Lizzie + Brett went to Maldon for scones etc - Jeremy + I = ?

Karen and Andy arrived - Panic - Valium.

Hysteria - why was I the only one upset frightened.  Jeremy spaced out.

Set up video prior to leaving.

Out for meal to Caribbean Cottage.  Brett told me = unsuitable.  Got angry and argued with Karen, was upset. Picked up Burnham Boy went to Goldhanger - champagne.

Jeremy went to bed first then me then the rest.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:18:52 PM by Admin »

Offline Admin

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
Pevensey with Karen + Andy - Late cos Lizzie + I were chatting  -  in car quizzed Jeremy  -  Law why etc  (Brett + David ? went sailing).

Not friendly to Jeremy - asked if I was O.K.  fine etc  -  swopped cars  Karen + I  -   Andy + Jeremy.

For a day we were quite happy.

Windsurfing + read.   Walk on beach.  Jer   I told jeremy I was leaving + returning to London because he didn't need me. -  Brett was there 

Jer   "I don't need Brett please come home with me I need you + love you - please come home."   I agreed!

Note by Admin. 

Remember, this is the day after his parents and Sheila's funeral.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:42:49 PM by Admin »

Offline Samson

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
Julie was rather meticulous and like most young women kept a diary.

It is fortunate that a copy of this diary is available in relation to events which occurred around the time of the murders at White House Farm. It is clear from her entries that the whole situation was beginning to get to her and that Bamber was beginning to provide less support the longer time went on.

Jeremy with Julie Mugford at the first funeral.
I have read these diary entries carefully.
Quite fascinating.
They make little sense if Bamber is innocent, or if guilty, yet they look authentic.

I hope bumping this thread can lead to a detailed analysis.