Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 170188 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #375 on: April 22, 2019, 04:46:49 PM »
BARRY GEORGE and NEWS GROUP NEWSPAPERS LIMITED
STATEMENT IN OPEN COURT
Counsel for the Claimant (Gordon Bishop)

“My Lord, the Claimant, Mr Barry George, has brought this action for libel against the Defendant, News Group Newspapers Limited, in respect of a number of articles which were published about him in The Sun and the News of the World between 1st August and 30th November 2008.
Mr George has the misfortune of being well known because of his wrongful conviction in July 2001 (by a majority verdict of 10-1) of the murder of the TV presenter Jill Dando, who had been shot dead on the front steps of her London home in April 1999. Mr George was sentenced to life imprisonment. In July 2002 the Court of Appeal dismissed his appeal. In November 2007, after a long campaign to prove his innocence led by his sister, Michelle Diskin, the Court of Appeal set aside his conviction and ordered a retrial. On 9 June 2008 the retrial started at the Old Bailey and on 1 August the jury by a unanimous verdict found him not guilty.
Immediately after his acquittal Mr George was interviewed by News of the World reporters and the following day by Kay Burley for Sky TV. Mr George agreed to give those interviews because he knew there would be a clamour from the press for his story and he wanted to satisfy the demands of the press as quickly as possible in the hope that that he would then be left in peace to move on with his private life.
On Saturday the 2 August 2008 the Sun published articles about the retrial and Mr George, which described a number of matters which had been kept from the jury during the retrial. The Defendant now recognises that those articles would have been understood to mean that there were grounds to suspect Mr George of the murder despite his acquittal. The Defendant accepts that the verdict of the second jury in acquitting Mr George was correct and it apologises to Mr George for any suggestion otherwise.
On Sunday the 3rd August 2008 the News of the World carried a report of the interviews given by Mr George in which he stated that at the time of the murder he was in a disability centre. He also said that an hour later he was in conversation with a woman in the street who became a prosecution witness. Although he accepted he was paying possibly unwanted attention to her she never expressed that to him. The headline for the article was “I didn’t kill Jill Dando ... I was stalking someone else at the time”; the Defendant accepts that Mr George never made that statement.
A number of other articles about Mr George were published in both The Sun and the News of the World in October 2008. Various allegations were made including that he had become obsessed with Kay Burley, that he had pestered a woman whose advert about a dog he had answered and that he had become obsessed with Pam Wright, the fiancée of Steve Wright, the Suffolk Strangler. The Defendant now accepts that, although on one occasion Mr George did cycle to Sky TV studios to try to collect a tape of his interview with Kay Burley, Mr George did not pose a threat and was not obsessed with her nor did he pester any woman who had a dog for sale nor did he become obsessed with Pam Wright.
The Defendant is here today by its solicitor to withdraw publicly the false allegations it made and to apologise to Mr George for making them. It has also agreed to pay him substantial damages and all his legal costs.
Defendant’s solicitor (Ben Beabey of Farrers)
On behalf of News Group Newspapers I confirm what my learned friend says and the Defendant takes this opportunity to correct matters and to apologise to Mr George for any hurt and distress he has felt.
https://www.5rb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/George-v-News-Group-SIOC-16-Dec-2009.pdf
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #376 on: April 22, 2019, 04:49:06 PM »
“A Statement in Open Court was read yesterday on behalf of Barry George in respect of his claims for libel against News Group Newspapers. Mr George was acquitted in August 2008 of murdering Jill Dando, after spending seven years in prison awaiting a retrial.
Mr George had brought claims against articles in both The Sun and the News of the World. Allegations included that there were grounds to suspect him of the murder despite his acquittal, and that he had become obsessed and pestered other women.
“Speaking after the short hearing before Mr Justice Eady, Mr George said: “I am pleased that the matter between me and News Group Newspapers has been amicably settled following successful mediation and without the need for litigation.”
5RB‘s Gordon Bishop acted for Mr George and continues to act for him in his claim against Mirror Group Newspapers.
See here https://www.5rb.com/news/barry-george-wins-apology/

“The settlement of Mr George’s libel claim against MGN Ltd, Tina Weaver and David Jeffs was announced in a Statement in Open Court before Mr Justice Eady today.
https://www.5rb.com/news/barry-george-wins-libel-damages/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 05:03:33 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #377 on: April 22, 2019, 06:30:23 PM »
“As she publishes a moving memoir, Stand Against Injustice, Michelle Diskin Bates, sister of Barry George, tells Ivan Little of the nightmare that began with her brother's arrest and the family's enduring struggle to cope with the events that engulfed them

A sister of Barry George, the man who was wrongly convicted of the murder of BBC TV presenter Jill Dando nearly 20 years ago, has revealed that she received 'invaluable' support for her fight for justice for him from Paddy Hill of the Birmingham Six and Gerry Conlon of the Guildford Four.

And Michelle Diskin Bates says that she and her brother attended the west Belfast funeral of their 'dear friend' Gerry Conlon, but their presence went unreported by local media at the time in June 2014.

In a new book, Stand Against Injustice, Michelle says her brother is now living in the Republic after he was "hounded" out of England by tabloid newspapers.

In a high profile trial George was found guilty of killing Ms Dando, who was shot dead on the doorstep of her home in the fashionable Chelsea district of London in April 1999.

Michelle says her brother, who lived in nearby Fulham, had been in the Chelsea area on the day of the murder, making a series of complaints to a disability centre who after the killing reported him to police but they didn't arrest him for another 12 months.

He was jailed for life the following year but the conviction was ruled unsafe by the Court of Appeal who ordered a re-trial and he was acquitted in 2008 after fresh doubts were cast on the reliability of gunshot residue evidence.

Despite the acquittal, George's claim for compensation for wrongful arrest was dismissed by judges who said that "there was a case upon where a reasonable jury, properly directed, could have convicted the claimant".

Michelle says that the judges had in effect ruled that George "wasn't innocent enough".

New legislation had meant that compensation would only be paid when a court quashed a conviction because a new fact had emerged to show beyond reasonable doubt that the applicant didn't commit the offence.

Michelle says the old presumption of innocence until proven guilty had been stood on its head to the point where people like her brother had to prove their innocence to get compensation.

And Michelle, who throughout her brother's trial and eight years behind bars never gave up on her battle to clear his name, suddenly had a new fight on her hands which features heavily in her book.

But the publication also looks back over all of the 18 years of legal struggles on behalf of her brother who before the murder was widely seen as something of a Walter Mitty character in London.

He constantly adopted false personas to represent himself variously as a policeman, a karate champion, a stuntman and a session musician with the Electric Light Orchestra.

Among the names he used was Bulsara, the real surname of Queen singer Freddie Mercury. He also apparently claimed at a wedding in Ireland that he was an SAS soldier.

In court it was said he was a "local nutter" with a personality disorder but his family said he was a "naive eccentric".

Michelle's book doesn't focus entirely on her brother's case. She says she also wrote it to inform the public about "what the justice system is doing" and she has also highlighted a number of other cases of miscarriage of justice which concern her.

Michelle, an Englishwoman who lived in Limerick and Cork for 40 years before moving back across the water, also writes about how Paddy Hill, one of the Birmingham Six who were wrongly convicted of pub bombings in the city in 1974, has been an invaluable source of guidance and support for her along with his Miscarriages of Justice Organisation (MOJO), who also counted the late Guildford Four member Gerry Conlon among their numbers.

She says that Paddy Hill approached her and offered to do whatever he could to help her and her brother.

She adds: "The organisation had all this legal stuff that I had no idea of. They gave me advice about how appeals might go. Up until then we'd had no one to turn to. No road-maps, nothing about what you should do when something like this happens."

Michelle says Gerry Conlon had a soft spot for Barry and knew he was an innocent man. In June 2014, she received a phone call telling her that the Belfast man was terminally ill. She says that she wrote to him but she didn't get to see him before he died.

Michelle says that she and her brother travelled to Belfast for the funeral in St Peter's Cathedral because they felt it was important to say goodbye to him.

No reports of the funeral mention the presence of Barry George or her.

After the burial at Milltown cemetery, Michelle and her brother went to a bar to meet up with other mourners. She says that the pub had no windows and its entrance was not at the front, adding: "Once inside somebody explained that as the pub was often fired at in drive-by shootings during the Troubles, it was safer to block off the windows and to offset the entrance for security purposes."

Michelle uses the examples in her book of the Birmingham Six, the Guildford Four and the Maguire Seven to illustrate the far reaching fall-out from miscarriages of justice.

"Seventeen people wrongfully convicted, 17 lives wounded beyond repair but the reality is much, much worse. For each wrongly convicted person, there is a ripple effect of damage... on the lives of parents, spouses, children, friends work colleagues, neighbours and more," she writes.

In Gerry Conlon's case, she writes, he didn't just lose his liberty but his father too, adding "Giuseppe Conlon died in prison for a crime neither he nor his son committed".

Michelle says that even though Barry George was eventually acquitted of Ms Dando's murder, elements of the British press vilified him. "It was like open season," she says. "And that's why he was rescued from the country of his birth because I had to get him out of England."

He lived in an apartment in Cork and a nephew moved in with him but his uncle eventually told him he found it too difficult to live with someone else.

In Michelle's book, the nephew says it "makes me mad" that his uncle had to go through eight years in jail when it was "obvious he wasn't guilty".

He adds: "He's been badly affected by it and I am not sure he can ever fully recover."

Michelle agrees and describes her brother as a "released" man, not a "free" man.

She says: "Barry's never been free since he was released from prison. The persecution of him by the newspapers thankfully stopped after he was awarded substantial damages against them. That made the bullies back off.

"But all he can think of now is being told that he hadn't proven his innocence. At night he goes to bed with the case on his mind and when he wakes up in the morning it's the same as he wonders how he can prove that he didn't do anything wrong even though a court of law has already proven it.

"For Barry it never goes away."

Michelle says her brother goes out of his apartment every day in an effort to meet people.

She adds: "He's often described as a loner but he's never chosen to be alone. The disability that he h as makes communication a very different thing. But he goes to the shops and chats with people and he does research on his case to see if there is anything that he has missed that he could use to get back into court with his compensation claim."

It's clear that Michelle has no plans to give up her campaigning for her brother or for other families affected by miscarriages of justice.

She says: "It's a responsibility that I have - to stand in front of people and say 'you can do it, don't lose heart'.

"It is such a painful and lonely place to be that I just feel I have to go and talk to them and write my book so that their stories might be seen.

"My story is their story."

Michelle says she takes comfort from the support she has received from lawyers for her call for issues surrounding cases of miscarriage of justice to be addressed.

"There are a lot of lawyers working tirelessly right now on a pro bono basis to help people who have fallen foul of the justice system. They give me great hope," she says.

"There will always be mistakes but when there are as many as there are right now, it means that the justice system is broken and it needs to be fixed."

Michelle is a committed Christian and she says what has happened to her brother hasn't dented her faith.

"Not in the slightest," she insists. "My faith was always strong and God has really been there for me and my family. When Barry was convicted we realised we were very small people battling against a huge Goliath of a legal system but God made good out of a very bad situation."

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/books/why-barry-george-is-still-haunted-by-his-wrongful-conviction-of-jill-dandos-murder-and-how-he-joined-mourners-in-belfast-to-say-farewell-to-gerry-conlon-37567516.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:24:37 AM by John »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #378 on: April 23, 2019, 02:52:04 PM »
Mike Bourke states in Mike’s Story the battle to clear Barry George...

“The headlines hit me like a slap in the face. The News of the World article was prefaced with the warnings, OUR LAWYERS ARE WATCHING’. They described Barry as a ‘BUG-EYED ODD-BALL.’ They claimed he confessed: ‘’ I didn’t kill Jill Dando-because I was stalking ANOTHER woman.’’ He was shown posing with the horrible prison issue plastic bag which I had concealed when entering the hotel. In their ‘World Exclusive’ he was quoted as saying ‘After leaving HAFAD I bumped into a woman who was later a prosecution witness and said I was stalking her… That was at 12.33pm…’ That was obviously a reference to Julia Moorhouse who he had always denied meeting.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:27:06 AM by John »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #379 on: April 23, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »
Mike Bourke states in Mike’s Story the battle to clear Barry George...

“The headlines hit me like a slap in the face. The News of the World article was prefaced with the warnings, OUR LAWYERS ARE WATCHING’. They described Barry as a ‘BUG-EYED ODD-BALL.’ They claimed he confessed: ‘’ I didn’t kill Jill Dando-because I was stalking ANOTHER woman.’’ He was shown posing with the horrible prison issue plastic bag which I had concealed when entering the hotel. In their ‘World Exclusive’ he was quoted as saying ‘After leaving HAFAD I bumped into a woman who was later a prosecution witness and said I was stalking her… That was at 12.33pm…’ That was obviously a reference to Julia Moorhouse who he had always denied meeting.

Mike Bourke:
“Next day Margaret Michelle and I visited Belmarsh. I decided to ask Barry about Julia Moorhouse but he replied ‘no comment’. I assumed the role of interrogator. ‘Now you are making me suspicious, did you see helicopters while speaking to the woman?’ He replied ‘everybody in Fulham would have seen them’. ‘Did you see them’ I persisted. ‘I just told you that I did’. ‘Yes or no, answer the question’. ‘Yes’ he finally said. ‘That is all I need’, I ended. That confirmed to me that he had met Julia in the street near HAFAD at about 12.30, she recalled the man speaking about the circling helicopters. But it was unclear if he was on his way to HAFAD, or had he already been there.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ltgorwROQfwC&pg=PA191&lpg=PA191&dq=julia+moorhoise+barry+george&source=bl&ots=Osy93KB1cB&sig=ACfU3U0FTXfq_4eMlR8wsXOK6kqzD1zjZQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNlMqAqObhAhXbURUIHaD5DjkQ6AEwA3oECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=julia%20moorhoise%20barry%20george&f=false

Note: The ONLY Julia Michelle Diskin Bates refers to is Julia Roberts!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:04:52 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #380 on: April 23, 2019, 03:26:07 PM »
The man cleared of murdering TV presenter Jill Dando after spending seven years in jail has won undisclosed libel damages from a newspaper group.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8682512.stm

Barry George didn’t win his libel case per se.

“On Saturday the 2 August 2008 the Sun published articles about the retrial and Mr George, which described a number of matters which had been kept from the jury during the retrial. The Defendant now recognises that those articles would have been understood to mean that there were grounds to suspect Mr George of the murder despite his acquittal.
https://www.5rb.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/George-v-News-Group-SIOC-16-Dec-2009.pdf

“Following Wednesday's brief hearing, Mr George said: "I am pleased that the matter between myself and News Group Newspapers has been amicably settled following a successful mediation without the need for litigation."
He was at London's High Court with his sister, Michelle Diskin, who led the campaign to prove his innocence.
His counsel, Gordon Bishop, told the court he had brought the action over a number of articles in The Sun and the News of the World between August and November 2008.
He said News Group had withdrawn the "false allegations" and apologised for making them.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8415772.stm

“The 52-year-old's claim for damages for lost earnings and wrongful imprisonment was rejected by the Ministry of Justice on the grounds that he was not legally entitled to compensation.
Gordon Bishop, appearing for Mr George, from Fulham, west London, told Mr Justice Irwin his client was "very happy" that his case should go forward as a lead case.
He was still waiting to hear whether he had been granted legal aid to fight his case.
Mr Bishop said if his application was refused, he would seek a "protected costs order" to cap the amount he would have to pay if he lost.
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/barry-george-wrongly-convicted-of-jill-dando-murder-in-fight-for-compensation-7766381.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:29:57 AM by John »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #381 on: April 23, 2019, 03:56:41 PM »
Excerpts from the book Stand Against Injustice by Michelle Diskin Bates
“The News of the World were refusing to pay Barry his fee for the interview! Why? We had all worked so hard on this once-and-for-all piece. I couldn’t get my head around what was happening. Apparently the driver had been told to get us to Portsmouth, then just to drop us wherever we wanted to go, because they were finished with us. What we did or where we went was up to us, they didn’t care.

“My heart was pumping furiously, and my head was filled with that whirring, buzzing sound that often precedes fainting. I took the handset, and once again went in to battle for Barry, and against injustice. How? Why would they do this to him, to us?

““What’s happening here, what’s the problem?” I tried to sound calm and unruffled, even though I again felt that the world was spinning out of control. I had to be able to get this sorted out. It was inconceivable that Barry should lose his fee. What would he use to set up his life again if he didn’t have this?

“He needed this money to feed and clothe himself in the coming months, to buy the essentials to live, to pay rent. I couldn’t fund all of this!

Stay calm, Michelle, it can’t possibly be as bad as it seems . . . just check out what they’re saying and correct them. Legally they have to pay, otherwise they are breaking the contract. Take a deep breath . .

““Barry has broken the contract he signed with us and has given an exclusive interview to the Sunday Mirror,” the voice informed. “Therefore, we are not paying him the fee. The driver will leave you in Portsmouth, we’re not involved with you anymore.” This was announced in a peremptory tone by the caller from the News of the World. Then silence, as they waited for my response. “Don’t be ridiculous, of course he hasn’t. How could he have done that? He hasn’t been out of your sight!” “The Sunday Mirror have announced they have the exclusive, so he must have

“The journalist for the Sunday Mirror is a Scott Lomax, do you know him?” Scott Lomax? Of course I knew him. He was the man who had worked with Mike on the ‘Justice For Barry’ website for years. He had written two books about the case: Who Killed Jill Dando?: The Case of Barry George, A Shocking Miscarriage of Justice and The Case Of Barry George.

“Barry had spoken with him briefly after Scott rang Mike on his mobile, and Scott had asked if he could congratulate Barry, just after we’d arrived at the hotel. Barry, of course, was anxious to thank Scott for all the work he’d done for him. Scott wouldn’t pull a stunt like this, why would he? There had to be another explanation. I told the voice on the phone as much. “There’s no mistake, and it doesn’t matter to us. It’s a breach of contract, and we’re not paying. The story will not be pulled, either. We’re running it.” The line went dead.

What now? What do I do? This had to be a huge, ghastly mistake. I know, I’ll ring Surj, he’ll know what to do. I relayed the story. “I’ll get on to them and sort this out, Michelle, you just relax. I’ll ring you back in a while.”

“This went on, back and forth, until we reached Portsmouth. It had been agreed that the News of the World would still put us up at the hotel, and would review the whole situation overnight, but the story would still run.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:22:49 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #382 on: April 23, 2019, 04:24:51 PM »
“The brother of murdered BBC presenter Jill Dando has said he will find out who killed her "no matter how long it takes".
Nigel Dando learned of his younger sister's death 20 years ago from a TV news bulletin.
Barry George was convicted of her murder and spent eight years in jail before being acquitted at a retrial.
Mr Dando said: "I will eventually find answers... no matter how long it takes."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-47779606

“I tend to think it wasn't a professional hit. I think you can rule out the Serbian hitman, which was a popular theory that was doing the rounds at the time,' said Nigel, whose sister was murdered aged 37. 'For what it's worth, my belief is that it was just a misguided individual on the street on the day, with a firearm, who knew where Jill lived, and who just 'struck lucky'. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-6876353/Jill-Dandos-brother-believes-misguided-person-blame-murder-TWENTY-years-ago.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 04:28:10 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #383 on: April 23, 2019, 10:33:38 PM »
“One of the jurors in the Jill Dando murder trial has spoken out for the first time about her doubts over the conviction of Barry George, saying she felt "outraged" after leaving the court.

Janet Herbert said she believed she had been "tricked" and that she felt compelled to go public with her concerns about the case because "I couldn't live with myself if I didn't".

Ms Herbert was speaking as part of a new BBC documentary on the popular television presenter's murder, which claims to have unearthed new evidence casting doubt on George's conviction.

The programme contains an interview with a second, unidentified juror, who alleges that jury members discussed the case outside the jury room, despite the directions of the judge.

It also features analysis by an expert on firearms discharge residue which casts doubt on a crucial element of forensic evidence used to prosecute George.

The documentary further claims that one witness discussed the case with a detective on the inquiry team, with whom she was having an affair, before she gave evidence in court. George, 46, was sentenced to life in July 2001 after being found guilty by a majority of 10 to one of shooting the 37-year-old BBC News, Crimewatch and Holiday presenter on the steps of her home in Fulham, south-west London, in April 1999.

George, who claims his conviction is unsafe, lost an appeal in July 2002. The Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) is currently considering whether to refer his case back to the court of appeal and will announce its decision soon.

The centrepiece of the BBC Panorama documentary, Jill Dando - The New Evidence, is an interview with one of the jurors - an extremely rare occurrence as there are strict laws about what jurors can say post-trial.

Speaking about her concerns over George's conviction, Ms Herbert said: "I just felt shocked that on that little evidence, anybody could be locked away for the rest of their life. How can you say it was him? It might have been him, don't get me wrong, but you have to reach a verdict on the evidence."

Ms Herbert telephoned the Old Bailey, late on the day the trial ended, and left a message on the court's answering machine. "I couldn't think who else to talk to," she told the programme. "I just needed to say to somebody, 'This is how I feel, surely I shouldn't came back like this, surely I should come back thinking I've done my duty, I can go off and live my life'. But I didn't feel any of that.

"I was very, very, very angry when I left that court. I was almost outraged. That's how I felt. I felt tricked really."

The jury spent part of the weekend before they delivered their verdict, in a hotel together. In the documentary, another juror, who speaks anonymously, admitted there was "chat" about the case away from the jury room.

"To expect a jury not to discuss what they've been doing for the last eight weeks while they're at (a) hotel or whatever, is, I think, unreasonable, so I couldn't put my hand on my heart and say there wasn't discussions about what had gone on, but there certainly wasn't deliberations," he said.

George's solicitor, Jeremy Moore, tells the programme that they will be asking the CCRC for a "full investigation" of what went on during the jury's deliberations.

The documentary also consults a forensics expert on the tiny particle of gunshot residue found in George's coat pocket.

Professor Marco Morin claims the particle could have originated from another source and that on its own, it was not sufficient to link him to the murder.

Another expert, Janine Arvizu, a forensic quality auditor in the Unites States, said firearms discharge residue was "not reliable" evidence and suggested it could have got on George's coat through contamination.

The programme also features an interview with a welfare rights adviser, Susan Bicknell, who claims she saw George at a disability rights centre on the morning of Miss Dando's murder, just 19 minutes after she was shot. This apparently would have meant he could not have carried out the killing.

However, the programme is likely to attract controversy as it is presented by a man, Raphael Rowe, who himself is a victim of a miscarriage of justice. Mr Rowe was jailed for life, along with two other men for a series of crimes, including the murder of hairdresser Peter Hurburgh and several robberies near the M25 on the night of December 15 1988.

His first appeal was dismissed, but after the case was referred back to the court of appeal in 1999 by the CCRC, his conviction was quashed. The programme makes no mention of this.

Asked if his experiences might have affected his objectivity, Mr Rowe, now a reporter on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, said: "I refute that. I would say my experience and knowledge brings something fresh to something as sensitive as this."
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2006/sep/05/crime.television

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #384 on: April 23, 2019, 11:42:00 PM »
Analysis: Twists and turns that enabled Barry George to walk free
By John McVicar
10:46PM BST 02 Aug 20 2008

“Mr George’s uncle, Michael Bourke, expected the worst. I spoke to Michael immediately after the verdict. He said: “We thought it was going to be guilty and when we saw the jury’s faces, not one of them showing they were for him, we just…” He hunched his shoulders to illustrate how they flinched.
When the “not guilty” came, Michelle Diskin, Mr George’s sister, was the only one of the three to show any emotion – she slammed the bench that was actually right behind where I was sitting and shouted an exultant, but still surprised, “Yes”.
Meanwhile, Mr George stood there in a daze as the jury filed out. He was a free man and could have walked out of the dock but he stood there waiting. When the jury had left and the press were in pandemonium mode, the judge noticed him and said, almost as an afterthought, “You are free to go now.” Mr George went down to the cells with Dr Young.
Predictably, there was a lot of talk afterwards from the supporters of Mr George about his innocence and how the police should now look for the real killer.
Whether they have any other leads after all these years remains to be seen. It is not likely they will re-open their investigation.
In our system where the accused enjoys the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof is on the prosecution, the defence can put the Crown to proof.
This is what William Clegg QC, Mr George’s counsel, did: he tested the Crown’s case but did not put forward any alternative. Mr Clegg said to the Crown: prove your case – the jury decided that the Crown failed that test.
The possibility of delivering a “not proven” verdict is not an option in England and Wales. Mr George was found “not guilty” and is therefore entitled to walk free as an innocent man.
However, it is important to note that the jury’s verdict in a case such as this may have been equivalent to a “not proven” one.

The verdict is essentially one of not meeting the “beyond reasonable doubt” burden of proof.
Indeed, this is borne out by the judge’s directions and the three questions the jury asked for direction on before acquitting Mr George.

The Crown’s case was, in the words of junior counsel Peter Ratliff, “subtle, but compelling”.
It was predicated on identification and the judge directed the jury that only after they were sure of the identification evidence could they look to the other evidence to support it.
Two witnesses saw the killer leave the scene of the crime but neither identified him as Mr George.
Their descriptions of the killer loosely fitted Mr George, so they did not completely exclude him.
The only witnesses who did identify Mr George were those who saw him hanging around near Jill Dando’s home some hours before she was murdered.
Thus, the Crown’s task was to conflate the identifications of the pre-kill witnesses with the descriptions of the two scene-of-the-crime witnesses.

The Crown did not rely on a Tommy Cooper “just like that” wave of the hand to do this but established a backdrop to the killing.
First, it claimed Miss Dando was not murdered by a Serbian hitman, an ex-boyfriend, a vengeful criminal convicted by her Crimewatch work, an obsessive and jealous fan, a thief, a crazed junkie. She was murdered by a man with an irrational motive that would appear senseless to anyone normal. A fantasist — they said Mr George was a “fantasist”, a believer in crackpot theories.
Second, they suggested the killer was a loner, not a professional killer or criminal but with knowledge of pistols, and had access to amateurish kinds of weapons (converted blank-firers, or reactivated deactivated guns). This, they said, fitted Mr George.
Third, the Crown’s case was that the killer would have had to have some experience in following and observing women without their being aware
They said Mr George’s hobby was to track, stalk and sometimes attack women in the Fulham area and there was a mass of evidence.
Fourth, as Miss Dando was not followed when driving to her home that morning (conclusively shown by the CCTV from numerous vantage points) and as her visits to her home were unpredictable (she was living at her fiancé’s house) the killer would have had to hang around her home in Gowan Avenue.
The jury appeared to accept from their questions after retirement that Mr George was in Gowan Avenue the Monday morning that she was killed.
There were four witnesses who identified Mr George as being in Gowan Avenue that morning.
The first, Susan Mayes, was rock solid on identifying him at being opposite Miss Dando’s house at 7am.
The jury was directed by the judge to look at her evidence first and only if they believed it to move on to the other witnesses.
The jury came out on their second day of retirement and asked to see the video of her identification of Mr George and to listen to the evidence she gave in the witness box.

They went back to their deliberations and came out, three hours later, and asked the judge to go through the evidence of the descriptions given by the two scene-of-the-crime witnesses.
As their directions were that they must acquit if they were not sure about Miss Mayes identifying Mr George, this must have meant they had agreed he was in Gowan Avenue that morning.
They then came out at noon on Friday with a question about the other three witnesses who made “partial identifications” of Mr George.
The judge directed that they could use video evidence of the partial identifications as support for Susan Mayes’s identification but they could “not convert two or more partial identifications into a positive identification”. An hour later they reached their verdict.

Crown counsel Jonathon Laidlaw’s last comment in his closing speech was “We suggest that this is no coincidence.” If they did think about the coincidences, the jury clearly did not think they defied common sense.
On the other hand, they may not have seen the subtlety of the Crown’s case. Who knows, except them?
But it doesn’t matter, the die is cast and cannot be un-cast.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2491147/Analysis-Twists-and-turns-that-enabled-Barry-George-to-walk-free.html
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:44:36 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »
Mike Bourke
“I felt that those media interviews were a mistake and damaged his chances of attaining public acceptance. Within two days he had been transformed from tragic miscarriage of justice victim deserving of some sympathy into something much less savoury. When I opened the JfB e-mails I saw nasty derogatory messages which were intended for Michelle, something which had rarely ever happened up to this. One told her to take her lovely brother to Ireland and to keep him there. That is the sanitised version. It was quite a contrast from the reaction which followed his 2007 victory in the appeal court. I felt quite down in the dumps at the way things had suddenly turned around, and what should have been a joyful period at the successful end of the struggle instead seemed to have become sordid, unpleasant. Later on that dreary Sunday I called around to Margaret’s but she hadn’t returned home. I dropped in a letter for Barry with some advice and offering him the opportunity of cooperating with this book but he never responded, I do not know if he even got to see it. Later another relative told me that Michelle Margaret and Barry were going away for a while to an undisclosed location. That night I endured a horrible ear bashing from a person on the outer fringes of the family who said that the latest jury’s verdict did not convince him.

Eaten bread is quickly forgotten and neither I nor my fellow supporters would see or hear from Barry again. I felt quite bitter about it for a long while, and I was not alone in feeling like that. Some people put their professional reputations on the line and got no thanks for their efforts.

After I got home I read in some paper that Barry and family were on the Isle of Wight where Michelle introduced him to Sion Jenkins. The IPCC needed to know if I wanted to pursue my complaint but I did not now wish to have any further involvement and so I dropped it.

Scott later told me that JfB’s website had received 978 hits on August 1st, 533 on the 2nd, and 369 on the 3rd. On October 1st I shut it down.

It was now open season on Barry and the press set about destroying any hope of him settling into any kind of normal life in his home city of London. I watched dispassionately as his reputation, such as it was, nosedived over the last days of 2008 under a welter of tabloid fantasy. They ran stories on what he ate, what bookshops he visited, his temporary accommodation. They claimed incorrectly that he was stalking a nurse, that Sky’s Kay Burley was frightened sick by him, that he was interested in Cheryl Cole of X Factor, that he was involved with the partner of a convicted killer etc.

To make things even better a ‘spokesman’ for him allegedly confirmed some of those manufactured stories. Pat Reynolds said to me one day: ‘with friends like those who needs enemies?’ It was a little sad to see the end results of the long hard battle and one day a despairing Margaret said to me that it was now worse than when he was in prison.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:23:11 AM by Nicholas »

Offline John

« Reply #386 on: April 24, 2019, 05:46:33 AM »
I have taken the time to edit this thread back several weeks and in doing so have found far too much repetition in much of the content. This has now been expunged. Repeated posting of such content will see this thread closed down or even removed.

Anyone still interested in this case will form their own conclusions as to what occurred and who if anyone was to blame for this perceived miscarriage of justice. All anyone requires are the facts.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 05:58:57 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2019, 08:14:24 AM »
Senior investigator Hamish Campbell admitted there was a slim chance of nailing the murderer
“Jill Dando’s murderer will only be caught if the gun which was used to kill her is found, according to the policeman who investigated the crime.

Hamish Campbell was the officer in charge after the Crimewatch host, 37, was shot 20 years ago this month.

He said: “What remains outstanding is the handgun.

“If that were to be discovered, and could be directly attributed to a person, and that person’s timeline determined for April 1999, then perhaps matters could progress.

“But after two decades, it becomes a remote possibility.

“The Dando investigation is clear on what evidence it has at a forensic level, and what the witnesses said they saw or heard or knew in 1999. They remain unchanged.”

Jill was gunned down on her London doorstep on April 26, 1999.

Barry George, now 59, was jailed for the murder in 2001 but the conviction was quashed in 2008.

TV investigator Mark Williams-Thomas last year claimed he had been given the name of the killer.

But Mr Campbell said all “new leads” that crop up as years go by should be questioned.

“Especially when persons state the theories through the media or TV, and not the police,” he said.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jill-dandos-killer-only-caught-14446069
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:25:50 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #388 on: April 24, 2019, 08:28:49 AM »
Jill Dando murder: Friend's harrowing 999 call after finding TV presenter's body
This is the harrowing 999 call made by Jill Dando's neighbour and friend after she discovered the TV presenter's blood-soaked body on the doorstep of her Fulham home.

In the frantic call to emergency services friend Helen Doble can be heard sobbing after coming across Jill's body moments after she was shot dead.

Struggling to stay calm, she says: "I'm walking along Gowan Avenue. It looks like there is somebody collapsed... Confidentially it looks like it's Jill Dando and she’s collapsed.

"There’s a lot of blood."

The operator asks her calmly: "Can you just approach and check that the lady's breathing for me."

Miss Doble replies: "She doesn't look as though she's breathing. She's got blood coming from her nose. Her arms are blue."

The operator tells her: "I just need to find out if she's breathing. Is the lady's chest going up and down?"

Sobbing and breaking down Miss Doble says: "Oh my God, no, I don’t think she’s alive. I’m sorry."

The call was featured as part of the BBC1 documentary The Murder of Jill Dando which aired this evening.

In the programme Helen retraces her steps on that tragic day.

TV favourite Jill was gunned down in the middle of the day on her doorstep, in a crime that shocked the nation, on April 26 1999.

Barry George, now 58, was found guilty of her murder in 2001.

He spent seven years in prison before his acquittal in 2008.

Speaking about the moment she found Jill's body, Miss Doble said at the time: "It was just incredible that with one step everything changes.

“I was going about my business, anticipating seeing Jill being at home. To suddenly encounter such a violent scene was completely horrific.

“It took me a few seconds to realise it was Jill because of the way she looked. It was clear to me she was dead.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jill-dando-murder-friends-harrowing-14224926
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:32:22 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2019, 08:46:33 AM »
Anyone still interested in this case will form their own conclusions as to what occurred and who if anyone was to blame for this perceived miscarriage of justice. All anyone requires are the facts.

I presume you mean wrongful conviction? Barry George is NOT a victim of a miscarriage of justice. I’ve posted about this repeatedly.

The facts are these:

”In our system where the accused enjoys the presumption of innocence and the burden of proof is on the prosecution, the defence can put the Crown to proof.
This is what William Clegg QC, Mr George’s counsel, did: he tested the Crown’s case but did not put forward any alternative. Mr Clegg said to the Crown: prove your case – the jury decided that the Crown failed that test.
The possibility of delivering a “not proven” verdict is not an option in England and Wales. Mr George was found “not guilty” and is therefore entitled to walk free as an innocent man.
However, it is important to note that the jury’s verdict in a case such as this may have been equivalent to a “not proven”
one.

The verdict is essentially one of not meeting the “beyond reasonable doubt” burden of proof.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 08:58:44 AM by Nicholas »