Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 3040120 times)

0 Members and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Vertigo Swirl

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8475 on: August 11, 2020, 05:16:16 PM »
Feel free to heap scorn and derision on the Met.  No doubt they were focused on completely the wrong suspects and kept the case open for as long as they could to keep officers in employment and to save face, not to mention wasting millions of pounds on one case, when there are loads of other murdered children whose cases never got nearly as much money spent on them blah blah blah

Stephen Lawrence: Met police close murder investigation after 27 years
In 2012 Gary Dobson and David Norris were jailed for life after being found guilty of being part of the gang of white youths who fatally stabbed Stephen, 18, in an unprovoked attack as he waited at a bus stop in April 1993.

She said: “This was an appalling racist murder and I am sad that we have been unable to secure further convictions for Stephen, his family and friends.

“The investigation has now moved to an ‘inactive’ phase, but I have given Stephen’s family the assurance that we will continue to deal with any new information that comes to light.

“The investigation into Stephen’s murder will also be periodically reviewed for any further investigative opportunities which may arise, for example with advances in technology.”

She added: “ “We were able to secure two convictions following a determined investigation in 2012 but it is well known that other suspects were also involved in the events which unfolded that night and it is deeply frustrating that we have been unable to bring them to justice.”

In 2018, on the 25th anniversary of the murder, the Met said that the investigation was unlikely to proceed without new information. At that time Stephen’s mother, Baroness Lawrence, suggested that police should close the murder inquiry if there was no hope. His father Neville Lawrence said he hoped the family could get “total justice” and would never give up.

Sponsored

The force has been trying to bring the remaining suspects to justice since a new phase in the inquiry began in 2014. It involved more than 240 new witness statements and a mass screening of over 360 women to identify a female DNA profile from a bag strap discarded at the scene of the murder.

A public appeal for information in September 2016 to identify the woman, along with two other potential male witnesses, generated more than 40 lines of inquiry. Ultimately however officers were unable to trace the trio.

The case will now be managed by officers within the Special Casework Team, Central Specialist Crime, and any new information will be fully reviewed.

The original investigation into Stephen’s death was hampered by incompetence, racism and claims of police corruption surrounding Norris's father Clifford and his links to the criminal underworld.

In April 1994 the Crown Prosecution Service said there was insufficient evidence to bring a prosecution, and in September that year Mr Lawrence's parents unsuccessfully attempted their own private prosecution against Dobson, Knight and Neil Acourt.

Five years later the Macpherson report, produced after a public inquiry into the case, found the Metropolitan Police guilty of institutional racism and made a series of recommendations on changes to policing and wider public policy.

Today there are still ongoing inquiries linked to the case, including an investigation by the National Crime Agency and the Independent Office for Police Conduct into alleged corruption.

That case will also inform part of the public inquiry into undercover policing that is due to start next year, after it was revealed in 2013 that a police mole infiltrated a campaign group supporting the Lawrence family's fight for justice.

Dame Cressida paid tribute to Mr Lawrence's parents for their tireless campaign for justice for their son, with the family waiting nearly 20 years before two of his killers were finally jailed.

Dame Cressida said: “As a result of ceaseless campaigning for justice by Stephen’s parents, profound changes have happened in policing, the law and wider society.

“I pay tribute to them for their courage and achievements.

“And today my thoughts are with them and all Stephen’s loved ones.”
"You can't reason with the unreasonable".

Offline Wonderfulspam

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8476 on: August 11, 2020, 05:23:14 PM »

"Feel free to heap scorn and derision on the Met."

OK I will, ta very much.

What a blatant waste of police time & resources.
Christian Brueckner Fan Club

Offline Vertigo Swirl

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8477 on: August 11, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »
"Feel free to heap scorn and derision on the Met."

OK I will, ta very much.

What a blatant waste of police time & resources.
Thanks.  Next!
"You can't reason with the unreasonable".

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8478 on: August 12, 2020, 10:38:44 AM »

NFU Scotland
1 d ·
URGENT UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO HAVE RECEIVED UNSOLICITED PACKETS OF SEED IN THE POST
Significant numbers of Scottish households have been receiving unsolicited packets of seeds in the post from China/Singapore as part of a likely scam.
Following contact with Scottish Government, it urges those receiving seeds to take the following actions.
• If the packet of seeds has not been opened, please leave it sealed.
• DO NOT PLANT OR COMPOST THESE SEEDS.
It is possible that these seeds could be a harmful invasive species or harbour a disease both of which if released could pose a threat to agriculture and the environment.
• Do not handle the seeds
These seeds may have been treated with a chemical pesticide. Please wash your hands if you have handled them without gloves.
Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture (SASA) is collecting these unsolicited packets of seeds for analysis.  It is asking for your co-operation to send these seeds to SASA.
Email your details and a postal address to info@sasa.gov.scot 
You will be sent a pre-paid self-addressed envelope and zip-lock bag.  When you receive the envelope and zip-lock bag please insert the packet of seeds into the zip-lock bag and seal. Then place the zip-lock bag and contents into the envelope and post it back to SASA.
If you receive further unsolicited packages, please report them again using info@sasa.gov.scot
NFU Scotland - Argyll & the Islands Region
NFU Scotland - Ayrshire Region
NFU Scotland - Forth & Clyde Region
NFU Scotland East Central
NFU Scotland - Dumfries and Galloway region
NFUS North East Region
NFU Scotland - Lothians & Borders Region
Scottish Natural Heritage
Rural Matters
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8479 on: August 12, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »

Oh Dear, that's a new one.  Fortunately I only ever plant my own grown seeds.  Although this usually involves everything I grow, which means that I am getting nowhere fast.  There is hardly ever anything left to actually eat.

But I do like growing things.

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8480 on: August 12, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »
Oh Dear, that's a new one.  Fortunately I only ever plant my own grown seeds.  Although this usually involves everything I grow, which means that I am getting nowhere fast.  There is hardly ever anything left to actually eat.

But I do like growing things.

It looks as if the NFU are less than happy about it; I would certainly take their advice if I received some.  Although I don't think it is some sort of 'attack' the source and the reason for posting has to be found and I am sure someone will be doing that.

I'm not much of a gardener and certainly no Johnny Appleseed ... the creepy crawlies do it for me ... but I've got the start of a hedge consisting of various shrubs coming along from scratch very nicely.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8481 on: August 12, 2020, 12:19:02 PM »
It looks as if the NFU are less than happy about it; I would certainly take their advice if I received some.  Although I don't think it is some sort of 'attack' the source and the reason for posting has to be found and I am sure someone will be doing that.

I'm not much of a gardener and certainly no Johnny Appleseed ... the creepy crawlies do it for me ... but I've got the start of a hedge consisting of various shrubs coming along from scratch very nicely.

Never plant Laurel.  It makes a very good hedge very quickly, but it is monstrous.

As for the rest of them, keep them in check and cut them twice a year.  There isn't very much that I don't know about Hedges.

As for Creepy Crawlies, of which I am not fond, I had to learn to deal with those when I fetched up here alone some many years ago.  No good hollering for help because there wasn't anyone.  But if you really look at them some of them are quite beautiful.

I never kill anything by the way.  These things are far too important.

I have lived in peace with three Wasps Nest now and never been stung.  And my goodness, they are so interesting.

Whoops, sorry about that.

Offline Myster

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8482 on: August 12, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
It looks as if the NFU are less than happy about it; I would certainly take their advice if I received some.  Although I don't think it is some sort of 'attack' the source and the reason for posting has to be found and I am sure someone will be doing that.

I'm not much of a gardener and certainly no Johnny Appleseed ... the creepy crawlies do it for me ... but I've got the start of a hedge consisting of various shrubs coming along from scratch very nicely.
Not the NFU... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=029JSiSFcn4
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8483 on: August 12, 2020, 12:39:44 PM »
Never plant Laurel.  It makes a very good hedge very quickly, but it is monstrous.

As for the rest of them, keep them in check and cut them twice a year.  There isn't very much that I don't know about Hedges.

As for Creepy Crawlies, of which I am not fond, I had to learn to deal with those when I fetched up here alone some many years ago.  No good hollering for help because there wasn't anyone.  But if you really look at them some of them are quite beautiful.

I never kill anything by the way.  These things are far too important.

I have lived in peace with three Wasps Nest now and never been stung.  And my goodness, they are so interesting.

Whoops, sorry about that.

No weed killer (children-dogs-cats made that impossible) and no killing for me either although I have toyed with the idea of leaving out some containers with beer in them to drown the slugs ... on the premise they would at least die happy.  I've not done it though ~ just try to plant things they are said not to like, unfortunately nobody told my slugs that, they just munch away regardless.
Fortunately I've never had a dog that showed the slightest interest in eating or even going near one
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8484 on: August 12, 2020, 12:45:16 PM »
Not the NFU... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=029JSiSFcn4
Love it!  Particularly his face when he says " ... someone in China has your name and address!"
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8485 on: August 12, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
No weed killer (children-dogs-cats made that impossible) and no killing for me either although I have toyed with the idea of leaving out some containers with beer in them to drown the slugs ... on the premise they would at least die happy.  I've not done it though ~ just try to plant things they are said not to like, unfortunately nobody told my slugs that, they just munch away regardless.
Fortunately I've never had a dog that showed the slightest interest in eating or even going near one

Rotten Little Swine loves insects.  He wants to make friends.  He is insane.  But I love him,  I think.

Slugs don't like Broad Beans ever and aren't keen on Tomatoes once they get knee high, so put them on a garden table out of reach, along with Runner Beans.

There are always more ways than one to skin a cat.  Such basic knowledge I now have, none of which is even remotely agricultural.

Offline Carana

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8486 on: August 12, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »
No weed killer (children-dogs-cats made that impossible) and no killing for me either although I have toyed with the idea of leaving out some containers with beer in them to drown the slugs ... on the premise they would at least die happy.  I've not done it though ~ just try to plant things they are said not to like, unfortunately nobody told my slugs that, they just munch away regardless.
Fortunately I've never had a dog that showed the slightest interest in eating or even going near one

A hedgehog will fix the slug problem. Just put out water for it while it's hot.

Offline Myster

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8487 on: August 12, 2020, 03:42:51 PM »
First catch your hedgehog, but make sure the water has cooled off a bit beforehand.
It's one of them cases, in'it... one of them f*ckin' cases.

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8488 on: August 12, 2020, 04:07:11 PM »
A hedgehog will fix the slug problem. Just put out water for it while it's hot.

But first you have to get them, presuming that you don't want The Dog to bring them into the house.  Hedgehog Fleas are seriously not funny.

Rotten Little Swine loves all things.  He wants to be Mates with everything.  Meanwhile I deal with Slugs and Snails by chucking them over the wall, along with the occasional Hedgehog.

Offline Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8489 on: August 12, 2020, 04:14:42 PM »
First catch your hedgehog, but make sure the water has cooled off a bit beforehand.

Hedgehogs manage to get into my entirely Dog Proof garden.  The dog is stupid you see.  God knows how some random Hedgehog gets in.

O'Connor, the Rotten Little Swine, is still digging for Badgers.  And we certainly haven't got any of those.  You tell him.  He isn't listening to me.