Witness statements.
Cartas Rogatorias Vol V
Pages 20 to 21
Leicestershire Police Force
Statement by Sharon LEWIN
Occupation: Teaching Assistant
This statement (2 pages) is truthful in accordance with my understanding.
Date: 21st April 2008
I am the person referred to above and I work as a teaching assistant at Laurels Nursery School, Melton Road, Queniborough, Leicestershire. The nursery school has the capacity to receive about 80 children full-time, aged between 6 weeks and 5 years and is open from 07.30 to 18.00 daily. The children are grouped according to age and I work in the section that looks after children aged between two and half and three years old. I have worked at the nursery for five years and I am currently on maternity leave.
I got to know Madeleine and her parents Kate and Gerry through my work at the nursery school. Madeleine started at the nursery when she was about two years old.
When she was two and a half she joined the group supervised by me, I think it was in 2006, and she remained there for about 6 months. Madeleine attended on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
She would be dropped off between 08.00 and 08.30 and would return home at about 17.00. The dropping off and picking up was taken in turns by the parents and as a result of this Kate and Gerry asked me to take care of the children during the evening on some occasions. Kate would pick Madeleine up from the nursery at the end of the day and I would accompany them to their house. We would have tea and I would help give Madeleine her bath.
Kate and Gerry would go out and I would watch a DVD with the girl before telling her a bedtime story
I think I did this about 5 times and on each occasion it was at their home in Rothley
................ snipped..................................
..... I had the opportunity to be present at her bedtime when I looked after her. Bath time was at about 18.30 - 19.00 and she would later go to bed at about 19.30 – 20.00 I would read her a story or two and she would always fall asleep half way through.
Gerry and Kate would normally return home at about 22.30 and before this I would check whether she was all right, by looking around the bedroom door.
I do not have knowledge of the girl waking up after she fell asleep. This statement was made by me and is truthful in accordance with my understanding.
End quote