Author Topic: Barry George revisited.  (Read 170732 times)

Offline Nicholas

Re: Barry George revisited.
« Reply #975 on: January 24, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
When I ask her whether his vulnerable status was taken into consideration during the trial she explains that Barry’s lawyer – Michael Mansfield QC – took the decision not to tell the jury about his mental health problems because the prosecution insisted his previous convictions be included also.

“A conviction against women could well have prejudiced the trial,” she says.

https://www.premierchristianity.com/Past-Issues/2019/April-2019/My-brother-was-wrongly-convicted-of-murdering-Jill-Dando

Michael Mansfield QC was asked here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbl[Name removed]nSaOKg @ approx 6.40

With today’s advances in forensics, could any of your cases had a different outcome?’

(Worth a listen if interested in Bamber’s recent BS) he refers ‘miscarriages of justice’ cases and something he calls the  ‘noble rot’ (which is also the name of a wine bar in the west end) and talks about ‘prejudices and preconditions of who was guilty’

He’s then asked,

Is it frustrating when you feel the full truth hasn’t been revealed during a trial”

He states,

I think with every case whatever the result the full truth, some cases reveal the full truth, but often there’s a bigger story to be told.. and I think in all cases the bigger story always surfaces. (Certainly did in the Simon Hall case) Now it may not happen within the lifetime of the person concerned, so it may be historical... a revelation, there are historical revelations.. um..you know surfacing all the time.’

He then talks of the Diana inquest and Jean-Paul James Anderson here:

Mohamed Al-Fayed alleged in his July 2005 statement to Operation Paget, and at other times, as a means of causing the Mercedes to swerve and thereby crash into the side of the tunnel. Al-Fayed further alleged that the Fiat Uno was owned by a French photojournalist named Jean-Paul James Andanson,[69] a security services agent according to Fayed,[24] who had photographed Diana while she was at his villa in St. Tropez in July 1997. Andanson's death in May 2000, Al-Fayed claimed, was either due to guilt over what he had done or because he was assassinated by the French or British security services to silence him was being used by MI6
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diana,_Princess_of_Wales_conspiracy_theories#White_Fiat_Uno_and_James_Andanson

and refers to Jean-Paul James Anderson’s suicide, stating ‘the last thing you do is burn yourself alive’ but sadly some people do and I’ve met several family members where their loved ones have committed suicide and ended their life in this way. Then there’s the case where on the 8th December 2014 a prison officer from HMP Wayland died ‘after his car was found alight in a lay-by on the B1147 at Etling Green. https://www.derehamtimes.co.uk/news/dereham-prison-officer-battled-with-depression-before-suicide-1-4278828

Michael Mansfield QC views and prior beliefs on this type of suicide may have since changed, especially in light of the fact he has since been personally affected by suicide https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6eZABLh9JA

He goes on to say,

you’ve got to break down the image”

The ‘image’ I once had regarding the Barry George case is very different to the ‘image’ I hold now.

If Barry George were as ‘vulnerable’ and as ‘mentally impaired’ as his sister has attempted to have us believe all these years he wouldn’t have been living on his own at the time of the murder for starters. And if she genuinely had concerns for him then as she’s claimed, why was she estranged from him for 12 years?

How did he possess the ability to go to HAFAD to ‘complain’ as she claims he was doing on the day of Jill Dando’s murder and why on that same day was he concerned about looking like the prime suspect unless he was the prime suspect?

Dando accused 'set up alibi' at health centre by Nick Hopkins 15 May 2001 
The man accused of murdering Jill Dando told staff at a health centre that he was worried because he looked like the prime suspect and had been intimidated by the police on another occasion, the Old Bailey heard yesterday.
Barry George, 41, went to Hammersmith and Fulham Action for Disability (Hafad) on the day Ms Dando died in April 1999 and returned there two days later. On the first occasion, he turned up at the centre without an appointment and seemed highly agitated, the jury was told.
Elaine Hutton, the finance director of Hafad, said she had listened to parts of a conversation between George and her colleague Susan Bicknell at the office, in Greswell Street, Fulham, west London.
"I was not listening to the exact wording of the conversation between them. He was quite agitated. I was aware I might need to step in and help," said Ms Hutton.
She said George had a carrier bag of letters expressing dissatisfaction for some of the services he had received from the medical profession in general. She said her colleague had tried to stay calm and focused. She could not deal with him that day and was eventually able to placate him.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:51:33 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #976 on: January 24, 2020, 03:20:49 PM »
Michael Mansfield QC was asked here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbl[Name removed]nSaOKg @ approx 6.40

With today’s advances in forensics, could any of your cases had a different outcome?’

(Worth a listen if interested in Bamber’s recent BS) he refers ‘miscarriages of justice’ cases and something he calls the  ‘noble rot’ (which is also the name of a wine bar in the west end) and talks about ‘prejudices and preconditions of who was guilty’

He’s then asked,

Is it frustrating when you feel the full truth hasn’t been revealed during a trial”

He states,

I think with every case whatever the result the full truth, some cases reveal the full truth, but often there’s a bigger story to be told.. and I think in all cases the bigger story always surfaces. (Certainly did in the Simon Hall case) Now it may not happen within the lifetime of the person concerned, so it may be historical... a revelation, there are historical revelations.. um..you know surfacing all the time.’

He then talks of the Diana inquest and Jean-Paul James Anderson here:

Mohamed Al-Fayed alleged in his July 2005 statement to Operation Paget, and at other times, as a means of causing the Mercedes to swerve and thereby crash into the side of the tunnel. Al-Fayed further alleged that the Fiat Uno was owned by a French photojournalist named Jean-Paul James Andanson,[69] a security services agent according to Fayed,[24] who had photographed Diana while she was at his villa in St. Tropez in July 1997. Andanson's death in May 2000, Al-Fayed claimed, was either due to guilt over what he had done or because he was assassinated by the French or British security services to silence him was being used by MI6
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Diana,_Princess_of_Wales_conspiracy_theories#White_Fiat_Uno_and_James_Andanson

and refers to Jean-Paul James Anderson’s suicide, stating ‘the last thing you do is burn yourself alive’ but sadly some people do and I’ve met several family members where their loved ones have committed suicide and ended their life in this way. Then there’s the case where on the 8th December 2014 a prison officer from HMP Wayland died ‘after his car was found alight in a lay-by on the B1147 at Etling Green. https://www.derehamtimes.co.uk/news/dereham-prison-officer-battled-with-depression-before-suicide-1-4278828

Michael Mansfield QC views and prior beliefs on this type of suicide may have since changed, especially in light of the fact he has since been personally affected by suicide https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G6eZABLh9JA

He goes on to say,

you’ve got to break down the image”

The ‘image’ I once had regarding the Barry George case is very different to the ‘image’ I hold now.

If Barry George were as ‘vulnerable’ and as ‘mentally impaired’ as his sister has attempted to have us believe all these years he wouldn’t have been living on his own at the time of the murder for starters. And if she genuinely had concerns for him then as she’s claimed, why was she estranged from him for 12 years?

How did he possess the ability to go to HAFAD to ‘complain’ as she claims he was doing on the day of Jill Dando’s murder and why on that same day was he concerned about looking like the prime suspect unless he was the prime suspect?

Or maybe they haven’t ?

https://www.nmplive.co.uk/blog/michael-mansfield-interview
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:23:03 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #977 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:21 PM »

Michael Mansfield QC states,

‘In order to decide if a case I did say 30 years ago could have had a different outcome, I would obviously have to go back and find the scientists to have a look at the evidence and tell me whether they think they could have had a different outcome. Potentially, with the advent of DNA and so on, yes.

I say potentially because I personally feel there has been too much reliance placed on forensic science because it’s not written in tablets of stone. At the end of the day, science, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. So, it is as much an art as it is a science. Mistakes are made – fingerprinting mistakes, DNA mistakes, it’s not that the science is fallible. The science itself is infallible. Our hands and fingers are all different, so that is not the problem. The problem is not in the science of comparing the twirls and whirls of my little finger with what’s on the piece of paper, because clearly they are capable of being compared, the problem is who does the comparison and what is it they are comparing? Are they looking at the same items and are the same number of the RICH characteristic, used to be 16, are they the same? So you begin to see how the subjective element of science intrudes and that it’s not as objective as one imagines.

Therefore, the answer to your question is that I really don’t know whether science would have made a huge difference. The difference doesn’t lie within science, it lies within another field, in which all of us – lawyers and judges and legislators – have slowly woken up

There’s no evidence anywhere to suggest Barry George was ‘fitted up’ and even his sister agrees to this; there’s no proof even after 20 odd years!

Leigh Chambers asks: ‘Michelle, Peter there talking about police corruption
You’ve never said in your book that it was corruption that ended with Barry’s conviction
Why, why do you think Barry was the target?
Michelle Diskin Bates replies: “I couldn’t say it was corruption because I had no proof of that and I didn’t want my book to not have integrity I wanted people to be able to trust what I was writing

But what there is proof of is Barry George’s chameleon like behaviour, his use of alternative identities; one in which he was previously convicted under. He was caught by police following women in the weeks prior to his arrest.

How could Barry George’s name have been flagged up by police if this wasn’t the name he’d been using?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 03:45:38 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Angelo222

« Reply #978 on: January 24, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
Michael Mansfield QC states,

‘In order to decide if a case I did say 30 years ago could have had a different outcome, I would obviously have to go back and find the scientists to have a look at the evidence and tell me whether they think they could have had a different outcome. Potentially, with the advent of DNA and so on, yes.

I say potentially because I personally feel there has been too much reliance placed on forensic science because it’s not written in tablets of stone. At the end of the day, science, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. So, it is as much an art as it is a science. Mistakes are made – fingerprinting mistakes, DNA mistakes, it’s not that the science is fallible. The science itself is infallible. Our hands and fingers are all different, so that is not the problem. The problem is not in the science of comparing the twirls and whirls of my little finger with what’s on the piece of paper, because clearly they are capable of being compared, the problem is who does the comparison and what is it they are comparing? Are they looking at the same items and are the same number of the RICH characteristic, used to be 16, are they the same? So you begin to see how the subjective element of science intrudes and that it’s not as objective as one imagines.

Therefore, the answer to your question is that I really don’t know whether science would have made a huge difference. The difference doesn’t lie within science, it lies within another field, in which all of us – lawyers and judges and legislators – have slowly woken up

There’s no evidence anywhere to suggest Barry George was ‘fitted up’ and even his sister agrees to this; there’s no proof even after 20 odd years!

But what there is proof of is Barry George’s chameleon like behaviour, his use of alternative identities; one in which he was previously convicted under. He was caught by police following women in the weeks prior to his arrest.

How could Barry George’s name have been flagged up by police if this wasn’t the name he’d been using?

Scientists are a bit like lawyers then, each one potentially as useless as the next.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #979 on: January 24, 2020, 03:55:22 PM »
Scientists are a bit like lawyers then, each one potentially as useless as the next.

Here’s Mr Mansfield on his politics https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ_67uydbJY and renaming his lecture,

Under the radar’

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:00:44 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #980 on: January 24, 2020, 04:22:26 PM »
I’m of the opinion Dr Michael Naughton won’t openly debate Simon Halls confession because it calls into question cases like that of Michael O’Brien who’s murder conviction was overturned based on ‘confessional evidence’ and it will open up a can of worms he quite clearly wants to avoid at all costs; as it appears do many others.

So instead he appears to have latched onto others cases using that same ‘ole chestnut, not dissimilar to what Sandra Lean appears to have done with cases like Matthew Hamlen etc

Empowering the Innocent (ETI)
@EmpowerInnocent
3h
So many problems & unanswered questions with the conviction of Robin Garbutt for the murder of his wife, Diana, yet the @ccrcupdate have so far rejected 2 applications. Let’s hope that it fares better with his 3rd. If Robin Garbutt is innocent the real murderer remains at large.

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1220687788900786179

If people like Dr Michael Naughton genuinely cared about injustice and helping the factually innocent he would have carried out something like the ‘innocence audit’ following Simon Halls confession

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZEOwDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA273&lpg=PA273&dq=the+innocence+audit+john+collins&source=bl&ots=fhmDscsrNl&sig=ACfU3U3JQEhYoe2SnFPdRCnkZWDGmTWvKA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk-ejynpDnAhVQasAKHf_ODuIQ6AEwA3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=the%20innocence%20audit%20john%20collins&f=false

the fact he doesn’t appear to have done so and is seen carrying on regardless leaves me to believe he is part of the problem not the solution and as such cannot and should not be trusted.

Doesn’t mean he hasn’t and appearances can be deceptive

Why doesn’t Michael Naughton tell Robin Garbutt and those campaigning for him to publicise the CCRC’s previous statements of reasons. Let the public be the judge.

Instead he appears to be leading people like hanksoff03 up the garden path and some of us know where that leads.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:10:33 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #981 on: January 24, 2020, 06:44:07 PM »

🎀 Michelle Diskin Bates 🎀
@Michelle_Diskin
3h
Replying to
@J4BenGeen
 @Elsie2127
 and
@EmpowerInnocent
This is why organisations such as #EmpowerInnocent, and people who highlight miscarriage of justice are so important. If we'd known all of this, before, we might have acted differently for our loved ones. It's why I wrote my book; to enlighten others.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Michelle_Diskin/status/1219951884070539264

Oh but you’re not

https://fakeologist.com/forums/topic/the-assassination-of-tv-host-jill-dando-26499/

March 2014
”Wonder where they tucked George away since his “arrest” in May 2000. Supposedly since his 2008 “release” he’s been living with his older sister Michelle Diskin in Ballincollig, a one-horse town in Co Cork. Seems a bit close-knit, and too close to Blighty – and Blighty Media -for comfort.
Sim-sister Michelle Diskin is a suitably slippery fish. In her photo albums on her Farcebook page, we find a very simmy looking family. And not one pic of her beloved brother Barry! Even though he moved out to Ireland after his acquittal “to be near us”..”so we could support him” &c, says big sis Michelle. Bazza ate his Xmas lunch on his tod then, eh?!
Nutwork hasn’t even bothered to synchronise the press reports and the social media accounts for Michelle Diskin. According to the Brummie Mail (see above) and fecesbook, Michelle is still living with Barry and her three adult kids in Co Cork. But on Twitter, she’s now living in Northampton with new fella Peter Bates. (Michelle’s first hubby Irishman Pat Diskin “died 2007 of a brain tumour”, for those who’d forgotten!)
And don’t you just love this (solitary) wedding photo posted up on facebook by Michelle Diskin and new husband Peter Bates..

THAT is the best snap they could find of their lovely day!?
Married on paper, but keeping the new hubby under wraps, or her options open?! And, no surprise, there’s no sign of Barry at the wedding, either. But maybe it was him behind the camera?!…
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 07:31:55 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #982 on: January 24, 2020, 09:38:11 PM »
I’m of the opinion Dr Michael Naughton won’t openly debate Simon Halls confession because it calls into question cases like that of Michael O’Brien who’s murder conviction was overturned based on ‘confessional evidence’ and it will open up a can of worms he quite clearly wants to avoid at all costs; as it appears do many others.

@EmpowerInnocent
It is shameful that Cheshire police refuse to apologise to Paul Blackburn for his 25 years in prison, but they have no shame. They simply don’t care: “Police reject judge's call to apologise over wrongful conviction.”

Police reject judge's call to apologise over wrongful conviction
Evidence of Cheshire force that led to 1978 imprisonment of Paul Blackburn ‘absurd’
theguardian.com
5:54 AM · Jan 14, 2020·Twitter for iPhone
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1216961832625287168

The Paul Blackburn case reminds me in parts to that of Stephen Downing. The police appear to be suggesting there aren’t other suspects?!

However Michael Naughton needs to look at his own behaviour before casting aspersions. The fact he chooses to not publicly discuss ‘innocent fraud’ suggests to me his personal agenda/s outweigh the truth!?

A doctor calls -- Dr Eric Shepherd, a man who can suss the psychology of the police station - 23 February 1994
Excerpt:
‘And while Dr Shepherd has become to the police 'the man they love to hate' (according to the Police Review), he may soon turn into 'the man they can't forget' to the legal profession.In conjunction with members of the Law Society's criminal law committee, Dr Shepherd has just produced a large training package on police station skills for solicitors' representatives.Its publication could not have come at a more opportune time, with research from the University of Warwick purporting to show a woeful inability on the part of legal advisers to counteract dubious police interviewing tactics.But what really gave the profession a kick in the pants was the Legal Aid Board's decision that all non-qualified legal representatives (except trainee solicitors) should pass a test and be registered by early next year if they were to continue to receive payment from public funds.Dr Shepherd's expertise was commissioned and the end result was Police Station Skills for Legal Advisers.
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/a-doctor-calls-dr-eric-shepherd-a-man-who-can-suss-the-psychology-of-the-police-station-/19495.article

REGINA V BLACKBURN (Paul)
Introduction
1. On 18th December 1978, in the Chester Crown Court before Bristow J, the appellant, Paul Blackburn, who was then aged 15, was convicted of attempted murder and attempted b....ry. On the first of those counts he was sentenced to detention for life, with a two year concurrent sentence of detention for the other offence. An application by him for leave to appeal against conviction and sentence was refused by the single judge and a renewed application to like effect was dismissed by the Full Court on 17th March 1981.

2. In 1996 the Secretary of State refused to refer the case to the Court of Appeal under section 17 of the Criminal Appeal Act 1968 ("the 1968 Act").

3. The appellant was eventually released in March 2003, having served over 24 years.

4. His conviction now comes before this court as a result of a reference dated 9th August 2004 by the Criminal Cases Review Commission under section 9 of the Criminal Appeal Act 1995. By virtue of that same section the reference is to be treated as an appeal by Mr Blackburn under section 1 of the 1968 Act.

The factual context
5. The charges faced by the appellant arose out of a vicious assault on a nine year old boy, "L". There was no doubt that someone had carried out such an assault. The issue at trial was whether it had been the appellant.

6. The attack took place on the afternoon of Sunday 25th June 1978, probably at around 4.30 pm. The victim, L, was walking by a canal near an area known as Seven Arches, Great Sankey, Warrington, when he was accosted by a youth who threatened him with a knife. L was made to go with the youth to a nearby disused sewage works, where he was forced into a brick shelter. There he was made to remove his clothes and to perform oral sex on the youth, who then attempted to commit anal rape on him, ejaculating down the victim's leg. The victim was then kicked repeatedly and stabbed before being covered with a board and a large quantity of heavy bricks.

7. When the victim failed to return home the police were informed and a search commenced. The following day, some 28 hours after the attack, he was found still concealed in the disused sewage works. He was alive but badly injured. It was patently a horrific attack.

8. The appellant's home was about 600 yards from Seven Arches. In fact, in 1978 he was at an approved school known as Red Bank, where he had been sent by court order for offences of burglary and arson. That order was a secure care order and the appellant was in the secure unit at the approved school. But on the weekend of 24th/25th June that year he was on home leave. He was then aged 14. At his home there were four siblings, including a 16 year old brother, Fred. Another older brother, Harry, lived with his wife at another address in Great Sankey which also was within walking distance of the scene of the crime.

9. The victim was found at about 9 pm on the Monday. Tuesday's Daily Mirror reported that he had been found alive but gave no description of the attacker. A local newspaper, the Post & Chronicle, that evening gave a description, including a reference to long gingery brown curly hair, a description repeated in another local paper on the Friday. The appellant at trial denied seeing either of these two local papers. The possible relevance of this was that there was evidence at trial about the appellant having asked to have his hair cut at Red Bank approved school. This evidence came from two members of staff at the school, Mrs Forrester and Mrs Selby, in the form of witness statements taken on 7th August 1978, some six weeks later. Mrs Forrester testified that on Tuesday 27th June the appellant had asked her to cut his hair, which was unusual for him. Mrs Selby's evidence was that this was on Monday 26th June, which would have been before any press report that L had been found alive, but she also said that on the Friday of that week he had requested her to cut his hair again, saying that Mrs Forrester had not made a good job of it.

10. The appellant was first interviewed by the police on 3rd July 1978, just after his fifteenth birthday. He gave a witness statement in which he said that he had been at his home on the relevant Sunday for the whole afternoon. He was again interviewed on 13th July and made a second witness statement in which he stated that he was with a friend, Tony Chadwick, until 1.30 pm and then returned home. He said that later that afternoon he again went out and returned at about 4.10 pm. On 14th July 1978 he was questioned by Detective Chief Inspector White and Detective Inspector Marsh for a period of two hours, not under caution, regarding the discrepancies in his previous accounts and was told that he fitted the description of the attacker. On this occasion he refused to take part in an identification parade or to provide hair samples and was verbally abusive towards the officers.

11. Meanwhile, on 12th July the police had interviewed the appellant's brothers, Fred and Harry Blackburn. Fred Blackburn initially confessed to the attack but retracted his confession shortly after his mother was allowed to speak to him.

12. At other stages in the course of these events two other youths also confessed to the attack but subsequently withdrew their confessions.

13. Then on 21st July 1978, DCI White and DI Marsh returned to Red Bank school to interview the appellant again. By now the officers had information about an apparently somewhat similar attack at Irlam involving the appellant two years before. In his evidence at trial, DI Marsh was to say that by 21st July, the date of this interview, the appellant was the principal suspect, "my number 1". The appellant was interviewed by the officers in the presence of Mr Frederick McVitie, the house warden. There is no evidence that the appellant was told at any stage before or during this interview that he was entitled to legal advice, and no solicitor was present at any stage during the lengthy interview.

14. The interview was conducted in three stages. The first began at 9.30 am. Between then and 11.15 am the appellant made a further witness statement, giving another detailed account of his movements on Sunday 25th June. He and Mr McVitie then signed that statement. At about 11.20 am the second stage began, during which the appellant was questioned by the officers under caution. He was questioned about discrepancies between his statements and between his statements and those of others. Then the officers went on to refer to the Irlam events in 1976, when the appellant and another boy had been convicted of actual bodily harm on two nine year old boys. It was now said to the appellant that the incident had gone beyond a physical assault and had involved forcing the two boys to suck each other's penis and to try to commit b....ry with each other. The appellant was told that the police now had statements from the two boys and another boy who witnessed it. The officers denied, during the course of a voir dire, that they had told the appellant that there might be further charges arising out of the 1976 events, whereas the appellant at the voir dire said that DCI White had been shouting at him and saying that if he did not come clean he would be charged both with the attack on L and with further charges arising from the 1976 incident. Mr McVitie's evidence on the voir dire was that the officers did say that there was a possibility of a further charge arising out of the 1976 incident but he did not get the message that this was a threat.

15. In any event, at 12.40 pm during this fourth interview, immediately after these references to the 1976 incident, the appellant dropped his head and began to cry. He said "Yes, it was me -- give me a minute". He then looked at Mr McVitie, who said words to the effect: "It's up to you, Paul, the officers only want the truth".

The submissions of the parties
23. What is said on behalf of the appellant is that his admissions, whether oral or written, were obtained in circumstances which were likely to render them unreliable and they should therefore have been excluded. 
Mr Owen QC submits that the court must judge that issue in the light of current standards of fairness and of our present knowledge of the phenomenon of false confessions. He refers to a number of authorities to that effect, including Roberts (unreported, 19th March 1998) and Abid Hussain [2005] EWCA Crim 31.The point was made in the latter case at paragraph 28 that, where there was a breach of the rules in force at the time of trial, the significance of that breach is to be assessed according to the present-day approach.

27. The Crown resisted the appellant's application to call fresh evidence by Dr Eric Shepherd, a consultant forensic psychologist, who has extensive experience of interrogation methods and of their effects. Lord Carlile QC, on behalf of the Crown, did not question Dr Shepherd's expertise, but argued that his evidence was not admissible because it did not address matters outside the range of experience of a jury. Dr Shepherd, said Lord Carlile, would merely be giving general evidence about how 15 year old boys might react to lengthy questioning. Moreover, there was no suggestion here of any abnormal disorder on the part of the appellant, who had not even been examined or interviewed by Dr Shepherd before the latter had written his report. The Crown placed some reliance on a passage from the case of O'Brien, Hall and Sherwood [2000] Crim LR 676, which suggested that, in cases where the expert evidence related to the existence of an abnormal disorder on the part of the accused, the disorder had to be of a kind which might render the confession unreliable.

28. We ruled during the hearing that Dr Shepherd's evidence was admissible and we received it under section 23. His evidence concerns the phenomenon of false confessions and the circumstances in which research has shown that a vulnerable individual, after a prolonged period of questioning, may give what is termed a coerced compliant confession. It seemed to the court that this was a topic which would generally fall outside the normal range of experience of a jury and that it was therefore one on which expert evidence was properly admissible. The case of O'Brien has little bearing on this issue. The passage there relied on by Lord Carlile applies where there is some evidence about an abnormal disorder on the part of the accused. That is not this case. O'Brien was not intended to be a comprehensive statement as to the circumstances when expert evidence will be admissible on the reliability of a confession.
https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5b46f2072c94e0775e7f0c08

Conviction unsafe on man who spent 25 years in prison
The Court of Appeal did not address the issue of his guilt or innocence yesterday, but Lord Justice Keene, sitting with Mr Justice Newman and Mr Justice Walker, accepted that he did not receive a fair trial at Chester Crown Court in 1978 and that his conviction was therefore unsafe.
Mr Blackburn's lawyer, Glyn Maddocks, said it was a major miscarriage of justice. "It is a disgrace. How can this happen in a civilised society?
"The trial judge said Paul should serve six to 10 years. Well, he was still there 16 years later. He got lost in the system. It is appalling."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1490753/Conviction-unsafe-on-man-who-spent-25-years-in-prison.html

CCRC
@ccrcupdate
Paul Blackburn's case was referred for appeal by @ccrcupdate in 2004 and his conviction was quashed in 2005. This article and associated podcast about his struggle to get an apology from the police.

The Guardian @guardian Jan 13
Police reject judge's call to apologise over wrongful conviction https://theguardian.com/law/2020/jan/13/police-reject-judges-call-to-apologise-over-wrongful-conviction utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium=&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1578896509…
10:41 AM · Jan 13, 2020·Twitter Web App
https://mobile.twitter.com/ccrcupdate/status/1216671705541816320
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 11:01:32 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #983 on: January 25, 2020, 01:27:12 PM »
Consultant solicitor Glynn Maddocks talking of the Paul Blackburn case@ approx 25.30 here https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/practice-areas/human-rights/interview-with-glyn-maddocks/

states,

“.....but his confession was interesting in as much as he used words that no 14 year old with his educational background would ever have used”

Paul Blackburn (14 years old)
"Yes, it was me -- give me a minute"

If Paul Blackburn wasn’t responsible, who was?

Mr Maddocks goes on to say,

I say this without doubt, he’s the most strong willed person I’ve ever come across”.

But couldn’t someone like Charles Salvador (better known as Charles Bronson) be described this way?

‘Charles Salvador, previously known as Charles Bronson, has been in prison for most of the last 45 years and wants to waive his right to privacy and for his next parole hearing to be held in ‘the full public glare’.

or Jeremy Bamber?

strong-willed
/ˌstrɒŋˈwɪld/
adjective
determined to do as one wants even if other people advise against it

Who knew Paul Blackburn when he was 14 years old and what was he like back then? What did psychology reports suggest?

What does Paul Blackburn say he was like as a 14 year old?

The appellant's home was about 600 yards from Seven Arches. In fact, in 1978 he was at an approved school known as Red Bank, where he had been sent by court order for offences of burglary and arson. That order was a secure care order and the appellant was in the secure unit at the approved school. But on the weekend of 24th/25th June that year he was on home leave.

What was behind his offending behaviour at such a young age?

And if Paul Blackburn didn’t complete any offending behaviour work, how was he rehabilitated for his previous offending behaviour, or did he ‘grow out of it’ whilst in prison?

‘The Guardians Peter Walker reported on Paul’s case a decade ago and it’s a story he’s been unable to shake’

He states,

“At the time I was completely struck by both by the appalling injustice of his case also by what a fascinating person he was.
He is someone who is completely self educated, he came from a very chaotic background but educated himself in prison. Fought against the system, won this appeal.
He’s very stubborn, he’s fiercely charismatic , he’s very very bright and I always wanted to come back to the case to see where Paul was now, 10 years on.”

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2020/jan/13/why-did-paul-blackburn-spend-25-years-jail-for-crime-didnt-commit

Paul Blackburn was friendly with Stephanie Bon, who I know visited and stayed with him at his house on the coast some years ago. I’d be interested for Mr Blackburn to share his experiences, especially to see if the rumours were true or not?! (Many of which came from Simon Hall, though there were photos of them both)

“It's only been a few months now since I've had my own house. Before that I just flitted from place to place to place," says Blackburn, now a lean, crop-haired 45-year-old with greying stubble. "I've lived on sofas on floors, lived on the streets, lived in tents. Anything, anywhere, just not to stand still.

"I couldn't stand still. I was too afraid. Too afraid of what might happen if I stood still as I thought I would end up killing myself. That was the biggest worry when I got out of prison, that there would be nobody left to fight, and I'd just commit suicide, that it was the fight which was keeping me going.

"I still have nightmares. I wake up and there's a person-sized pool of sweat on the bedsheets."

I'd been locked up since I was 15 years old. I'm now getting out at the age of 40. Never mind the movie, I was a 40-year-old virgin. It was scary shit for me. And there was nobody there to help me. My probation officer was decent in her way but she was embarrassed to speak to me about some things."

Self-educated, charismatic and fiercely articulate, Blackburn has forged something of a post-prison role addressing academics and professional conferences about his experiences, and what can be learned from them.

But any initial impression of composed self-assuredness is deeply misleading. Beset since he left jail by intermittent drug and alcohol abuse, an inability to form lasting relationships and what he calls "a serious, serious problem" of contemplating suicide, Blackburn's ordeal moulded him into a mass of contradictions.

“For 25 years I pretty much lived totally within my own head," he says. "My emotions have been cut off completely pretty much my whole life. To open up to another person and be open – I didn't know how to do it."

"There has never been anything official, and there never, ever will be," Blackburn says. "So far we've had one letter back from the [Cheshire police] which basically says: 'Tough shit, f..k off. We're admitting nothing and we never will.'"

It was real good cop, bad cop stuff. All very obvious, but when you're a kid it's terrifying," Blackburn says.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/jun/09/paul-blackburn-wrongly-convicted

Thought they were both ‘bad cops’?

Would be interested to hear how ‘terrifying’ it was for Paul Blackburn when he ‘started fires and committed burglary’ as ‘a kid’ (offences of burglary and arson) and who the victims of these crimes were?

Blackburn's ordeal moulded him into a mass of contradictions’

This for me on its own is a red flag, however I’d like to hear Paul Blackburn’s thoughts on the exposure of Simon Halls guilt.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:08:55 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #984 on: January 27, 2020, 01:27:27 PM »
If people like Dr Michael Naughton genuinely cared about injustice and helping the factually innocent he would have carried out something like the ‘innocence audit’ following Simon Halls confession

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZEOwDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA273&lpg=PA273&dq=the+innocence+audit+john+collins&source=bl&ots=fhmDscsrNl&sig=ACfU3U3JQEhYoe2SnFPdRCnkZWDGmTWvKA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk-ejynpDnAhVQasAKHf_ODuIQ6AEwA3oECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=the%20innocence%20audit%20john%20collins&f=false

the fact he doesn’t appear to have done so and is seen carrying on regardless leaves me to believe he is part of the problem not the solution and as such cannot and should not be trusted.

Has anyone at the CCRC got the time, please?’

reads the header of an article written by Dr Michael Naughton, published today on (honorary Dr) Jon Robins Justice Gap website here https://www.thejusticegap.com/has-anyone-at-the-ccrc-got-the-time-please/

Dr Michael Naughton states,

I was astonished to learn earlier this week that the CCRC keeps no records at all on how much time that it spends working on cases’

Maybe he’s been too busy calculating and recording his own time?
And the "thousands of hours" Bristol law students have spent on the Hall case, said Dr Naughton, could easily have been spent on "somebody else's case".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-23630287

Surely this would have flagged up during Carolyn Hoyle and Mai Sato’s ‘in-depth analysis of case files and interviews the authors scrutinize the Commission’s operational practices, its working rules and assumptions
https://ccrc.gov.uk/research-at-the-ccrc/published-research-on-the-ccrc/ or weren’t these questions asked?

Michael Naughton goes on,

The CCRC’s response also means that applicants are unable to evaluate the thoroughness, or otherwise, of reviews into lines of inquiry that they request in their applications.

But, despite this, applicants are expected to simply ‘trust’ that CCRC case review managers are managing their cases ‘effectively’.

Well, trust is something that must be earned and with 99% of applications currently being rejected by the CCRC (here) it is not something that alleged miscarriage of justice victims and the organisations and groups that support them feel inclined to do”

Would be interested to hear why Dr Michael Naughton seems to be suggesting he trusted the CCRC even after discovering Simon Hall had conned them and their review processes all the way to the CoA and his case was under further review when his guilt was exposed in 2013

He concludes,

It just may, however, have the effect of further enhancing notions that the CCRC is a law unto itself that obscures rather than illuminates justice, which could, hopefully, strengthen the Empowering the Innocent (see here) campaign for its reform or replacement with a body that is fit for the purpose of assisting innocent victims to overturn their wrongful convictions.”

a law unto itself that obscures rather than illuminates justice’ which for me, given the circumstances, in itself is an extremely interesting psychological projection

justice
/ˈdʒʌstɪs/
noun
just behaviour or treatment.
"a concern for justice, peace, and genuine respect for people"

The CCRC doesn’t look at factual innocence or factual guilt, as Dr Michael Naughton well knows.

Their website claims,

The Criminal Cases Review Commission is the public body responsible for investigating alleged miscarriages of criminal justice in England, Wales and Northern Ireland https://ccrc.gov.uk/

‘The Criminal Cases Review Commission is the independent organisation set up to investigate suspected miscarriages of justice from magistrates courts, the Crown Court in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and the Court Martial and Service Civilian Court. https://ccrc.gov.uk/about-us/

Twitter response to Dr Michael Naughton’s article:

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
2h
I think my heart broke a little bit more when I read this Michael
@EmpowerInnocent
 ... should more ask the same question as Mick
@J4BenGeen

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
2h
Oh my gosh, how can this be? All the years of hard work on http://RobinGarbuttOfficial.com`s case+the powers that be don`t even keep records...

The irony of his second trial was that, in many ways, the very evidence used to portray Mr George as a killer echoed the facts employed in his defence. The Crown insisted that his obsessive behaviour proved he was Ms Dando's murderer but his supporters were equally adamant such failings pointed to a man incapable of carrying out an efficient, cold-blooded murder.

His sister, Michelle Diskin, insisted he was simply a "vulnerable, naive" eccentric, and a psychiatrist called by the defence said his ability to plan and organise tasks was abnormally low, in the bottom 1 per cent of the country.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 11:09:03 AM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #985 on: January 28, 2020, 10:44:19 AM »
http://In 1981 George was again trying to make headlines. Somehow he persuaded a stadium in Derby to stage a stunt in which he jumped over a row of double decker buses on his rollerskates.

The stadium sold hundreds of tickets for the event. At the last moment having seen the platform and ramp which had been constructed George tried to back down but plucked up courage and managed to complete the leap

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/03/jilldando.media5

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1890544/Video-Barry-George-attempts-rollerskate-four-double-decker-buses.html

In the video Barry George, who was going by the name Steve Majors at the time, initially claimed he’d never practiced before but as the interview progresses he then claims to have been planning and practicing for 4 years.

Early on in the interview the journalist calls him ‘a ’nutter’ which may well be where the media and the courts got this description.

In court it was said he was a "local nutter" with a personality disorder but his family said he was a "naive eccentric".
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/books/why-barry-george-is-still-haunted-by-his-wrongful-conviction-of-jill-dandos-murder-and-how-he-joined-mourners-in-belfast-to-say-farewell-to-gerry-conlon-37567516.html

But George was not just a performer. He could be predator too.

In March 1980 an actress called June Elvin, who had appeared in Ealing films and the police series Z Cars, was confronted by a man as she walked into the entrance hall of her block of flats in Barons Court, west London.

"He pulled open one side of the gates to the lift, I did the other," she said. "It was a tiny lift with only room for two. Halfway up he stopped the lift and attacked me. He tried to touch me, to put my hand up my skirt. I screamed and shouted and fought back."

The man fled when a friend of Ms Elvin's heard the commotion and ran to help.

Though he was acquitted of this offence in June 1981, George was convicted of assaulting another woman.

According to reports of this case, George followed the civil servant and asked her out. When she rejected him, he grabbed her breasts and tried to put his hand up her skirt. He received a three-month suspended prison sentence.

Nevertheless, in late 1981 and early 1982 he was stopped by police on three different occasions over allegations that he was harassing women.

Are these the actions of a ‘naive eccentric’ ?

Michelle's book doesn't focus entirely on her brother's case. She says she also wrote it to inform the public about "what the justice system is doing" and she has also highlighted a number of other cases of miscarriage of justice which concern her.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1890544/Video-Barry-George-attempts-rollerskate-four-double-decker-buses.html

Lol  @)(++(*

Well done Bazza   8@??)(

Would be interested to know if Holly Goodhead would praise Barry George’s ‘darker side’ ?

The irony of his second trial was that, in many ways, the very evidence used to portray Mr George as a killer echoed the facts employed in his defence.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/bizarre-life-of-a-fantasist-caught-in-the-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time-883240.html

I’ve long been of the firm opinion Barry George’s campaign of ‘innocence’ has been nothing more than an illusion 

Michelle Diskin Bates 🎀
@Michelle_Diskin
4h
Good grief...people don’t have enough work to do! #getalife There are more important things to get agitated about than TV presenters
https://mobile.twitter.com/EveningStandard/status/1118094287059603456

The irony of this comment appears lost on Michelle Diskin Bates supporters

@Michelle_Diskin
3h
Replying to
@J4BenGeen
 @Elsie2127
 and
@EmpowerInnocent
This is why organisations such as #EmpowerInnocent, and people who highlight miscarriage of justice are so important. If we'd known all of this, before, we might have acted differently for our loved ones. It's why I wrote my book; to enlighten others.

Who’s playing who or are they playing each other?

What does Michelle Diskin Bates mean when she claims, to Dr Michael Naughton,

If we’d known all of this before, we might have acted differently for our loved ones”

‘known‘ all what before and how would she have ‘acted differently’?

Michael Mansfield QC is asked here

Is it frustrating when you feel the full truth hasn’t been revealed during a trial?

He states,

I think that in every case, whatever the result - some cases reveal the full truth but often there is a bigger story to be told, and I think in all cases the bigger story always surfaces. Now, it may not happen within the lifetime of the person concerned, so it may be historical revelations, and there are historical revelations that surface all the time.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:26:17 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #986 on: January 28, 2020, 12:51:08 PM »
I’ve long been of the firm opinion Barry George’s campaign of ‘innocence’ has been nothing more than an illusion 

@Michelle_Diskin
3h
Replying to
@J4BenGeen
 @Elsie2127
 and
@EmpowerInnocent

If we’d known all of this before, we might have acted differently for our loved ones”

To fully understand the above tweet it might be helpful to show the circumstances that form the setting for the statement made by Michelle Diskin Bates

Mick,
Things are not going to change unless we speak out about the obstacles that we face in the CoA and the CCRC-I've been part of the problem living with their failure for years and not speaking out-No More! Everybody in the same situation needs to shout and they need to shout loud!

Linda
Completely agree Mick.  Surely #CCRC & #COA are there to ensure #miscarriagesofjustice are investigated thoroughly& #victims of #miscarriagesofjustice &their families are supported&compensated.
Seems they’ve forgotten their duty is to protect the public NOT the #justicesystem

Mick,
A lesson we learnt the hard way-We did the decent thing & trusted the system-What a huge mistake-Anybody in the early stages of a similar situation needs to start shouting & making waves now-If you don't the system will kick you in the teeth & let you down badly-@EmpowerInnocent

Michelle Diskin Bates

And enlighten some of us she has
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:26:33 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #987 on: January 28, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »

Michelle Diskin Bates

And enlighten some of us she has

And some she clearly hasn’t 

Dr Michael Naughton stated“she had no choice but to do as it was what God wanted”

Did ‘God’ also tell Michelle Diskin Bates to lie about having watched non existent nighttime TV back in 1985?

Further excerpt from Dr Michael Naughton’s foreword;

This may well explain another feature of the book which sets it apart from others of the same genre. Written with great integrity and without even a hint of self pity or hatred towards, or vengeance against those responsible for causing her brothers wrongful conviction or who played a part in preventing its overturn or are currently refusing him compensation. Michelle has a clear focus to simply tell the truth, warts and all.’

“For Michelle, it was a moral obligation that she could not turn away from in good conscience:”

Michelle Diskin Bates claims Dr Michael Naughton or ‘#Empowerinnocent’ as per the name of his new campaign,

“is so important

Dr Michael Naughton was conned by Simon Hall a ‘dangerous and disturbed’ individual for years - to date he has chosen to not hold his hands up to having been conned.

On 10th September 2013 Michelle Diskin Bates stated,
Aa family member of a terrible miscarriage of justice, the victim being Barry George, convicted of the murder of Jill Dando; the Simon Hall confession is a concern because it is already so difficult for true MOJs to be believed by the public; this confession damages the credibility of all those still fighting for justice. But this is just one case. The British Justice System makes many, many more errors when it choses to build its cases around a person, rather than on the actual evidence. One confession is not a comfortable situation for those fighting miscarriages of justice,
https://theerrorsthatplaguethemiscarriageofjusticemovement.home.blog/simon-hall-confession-a-time-to-take-stock-by-professor-julie-price-originally-published-by-jon-robins-of-the-justice-gap/

So if ‘the Simon Hall confession’ were a ‘concern’ to Michelle Diskin Bates and if as she claims it ‘damages the credibility of all those still fighting for justice’ how have people like her and Dr Michael Naughton repaired and renewed their credibility ?

And why wasn’t it a ‘comfortable situation’ for Michelle Diskin Bates? What exactly was she uncomfortable about?

And why did she choose to state, ‘The British Justice System makes many, many more errors when it choses to build its cases around a person’

Did she view ‘the Simon Hall confession’ as an ‘error’ of ‘the British justice system’ ?

She states, ‘is already so difficult for true MOJs to be believed by the public’

What does she mean by a ‘true MOJ’? What’s a ‘true MOJ’

Barry George was found to not to be the victim of a miscarriage of justice

In a judgment which raises the question of a distinction in the judicial system between acquittal and a declaration of innocence, two High Court judges said there were no new facts in Mr George’s case which would have meant he could never have been convicted. Lord Justice Beatson and Mr Justice Irwin said: “There was indeed a case upon which a reasonable jury, properly directed, could have convicted the claimant of murder.”

“Legal experts said the ruling was about “shutting down” the flow of compensation and was unfair on Mr George who is considered innocent of Ms Dando’s death in the public mind.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eight-years-in-prison-but-barry-george-is-refused-compensation-8467485.html

Not in my mind he isn’t - the illusion is clear to me

Since then I have revisited the facts of this case in light of so many high-profile miscarriage of justice cases coming to light, including that of my own brother, Barry George, for the murder of Jill Dando.
https://jeremybamber.blogspot.com/2016/08/justice-is-never-served-by-conviction.html
Another disingenuous statement by Michelle Diskin Bates  *&^^&

The court said a miscarriage of justice was when a new fact showed evidence was "so undermined that no conviction could possibly be based upon it".
To date, people who have been wrongfully convicted have been entitled to compensation only if they can show there has been a "miscarriage of justice".
But the meaning of the phrase had been unclear since a Law Lords ruling in 2004 which came up with different definitions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13356120

Michelle Diskin Bates is still attempting to disingenuously promote her brother Barry George’s ‘unsafe’ murder conviction

The distinguished speakers are:
Michelle Diskin-Bates
Author of Stand Against Injustice and Campaigner, Speaking about how she was affected by a miscarriage of justice as the sister of Barry George.

https://www.womenbarristers.com/miscarriages-of-justice-and-criminal-deportations-conference/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 05:21:55 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #988 on: January 28, 2020, 06:07:43 PM »
Carole McCartney who blogs for an international ‘wrongful conviction’ forum https://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/

and Inside Justice run by Louise Shorter https://www.insidejustice.co.uk/articles/new-developments-in-blood-evidence-detection/136

By Duncan Campbell,
Where now for wrongful convictions? Louise Shorter, a former producer on Rough Justice, sees a glimmer of hope. She now works for Inside Justice, the investigative unit attached to the prisoners’ newspaper Inside Time, that was set up in 2010 to investigate wrongful convictions. She acknowledges the current difficulties: “Unravelling a miscarriage of justice case can take a decade or more. Television wants a beginning, middle and end to any story and wants it now, and that’s hard to achieve when the criminal justice wheels turn so very slowly.”

Yet Shorter says that her phone has been ringing off the hook following two successful American ventures: the podcast Serial and the Netflix series Making a Murderer. In September, she presented the two-part BBC documentary Conviction: Murder at the Station, in which she investigated the case of Roger Kearney, who protests his innocence of the murder of his lover Paula Poolton. Her body was found in her car at Southampton train station in 2008. “The media finally latched on to what the public has known for years: real-life whodunnits – or did-they-do-its – always have been and remain immensely popular,” Shorter says.
Law students at Northumbria University are working with the charity Inside Justice and carrying out a survey on ‘post conviction retention and disclosure of evidence’

supervising is Professor Carole McCartney

https://wrongfulconvictionsblog.org/2015/05/07/lab-director-says-innocence-fraud-when-innocence-organizations-free-guilty-people-is-a-threat/

How accurate will the survey results be if Jeremy Bamber supporters complete the survey anonymously multiple times?

Carole McCartney states via twitter:
Need to get as many sols/barristers/miscarriage of justice campaigners as possible! Would be hugely appreciative of RTs! Data could lead to vital changes. Thanks

Comments here looked a bit suspect
https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/cps-asks-for-local-support-to-improve-disclosure/5102875.article
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:39:19 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

« Reply #989 on: January 29, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »

@Michelle_Diskin
3h
Replying to
@J4BenGeen
 @Elsie2127
 and
@EmpowerInnocent

Hanksoff03
@hanksoff03
2h
I think my heart broke a little bit more when I read this Michael
@EmpowerInnocent
 ... should more ask the same question as Mick
@J4BenGeen

@EmpowerInnocent
5h
We wouldn't know about this without Mick Geen's FOI request and we all need to keep asking as many questions that we can think of with FOIs and data protection requests to find out what other failings there are that we don't know about and just how bad things really are.
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmpowerInnocent/status/1222435850363068417

Sending the murder conviction of a guilty man (Simon Hall) back to the Court of Appeal not good enough then.

@EmpowerInnocent
5h
Sorry to hear about yet another alleged innocent victim of wrongful conviction. If you are at the
@ccrcupdate stage, see the Empowering the Innocent campaign that you may wish to apply to join: http://michaeljnaughton.com/?page_id=3652

The need for due diligence isn’t needed solely whilst using Twitter. http://michaeljnaughton.com/?p=1542

Michael Naughton goes on:
“I immediately put his name into Google on my phone to very quickly find that he was convicted of a highly publicised and most pernicious and disturbing gendered crime against a young woman, the like of which would certainly make most (particularly women) want to steer clear of him altogether.

The ‘alleged innocent victim of wrongful conviction’ case being that of Alan Evans https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/nov/06/alan-evans-guilty-wife-murder-fall

@imbackingal
@imbackingal1
Our sons case is flawed with discrepancies like Robins, no dna , no cause of death, missing phone data, conflict of interest etc etc etc. Like his case the real perpetrators are still at large being protected by the police and no doubt enjoying their freedom

Their wish to see their son released from prison now rests with the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC).
The body investigates suspected miscarriages of justice and if experts discover inconsistencies with evidence in the case, they could call for a re-trial.
Evans' parents Keith and Sue have fought tirelessly to try and prove their son is not a killer and helped compile information to assist the CCRC.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/crime/2016/10/27/parents-of-kidderminster-killer-alan-evans-hope-for-a-re-trial/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 02:02:08 PM by Nicholas »