Author Topic: Amaral and the dogs  (Read 844972 times)

Offline pathfinder73

Re: Amaral and the dogs
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2015, 09:31:56 PM »
Eddie might not have been sent in to find blood, but he did have the capabilities to detect blood, so it would be necessary to have Keela check his findings, if he had alerted in any other place.
However He never alerted to blood anywhere except 5A. We know this because keela was not used to check out any alerts. So why, no blood anywhere, but 5A?

No blood was found at Eddie's first alert in 5A. Keela didn't go in to the other apartment to check for traces of blood that the human eye can't see. Keela only looks for microscopic blood traces if Eddie alerts. Eddie didn't alert in the other apartments. Eddie was alerting to cadaver scent not sniffing every inch of the floor for blood traces humans can't even see.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #121 on: May 13, 2015, 09:35:05 PM »
Grime must have used a special "cadaver only" cue...

That's it Mate, don't you come back and tell me it was blood.  That's just for Disasters and Earthquakes.  Okay?

Offline Anna

« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »
No blood was found at Eddie's first alert in 5A. Keela didn't go in to the other apartment to check for traces of blood that the human eye can't see. Keela only looks for microscopic blood traces if Eddie alerts. Eddie didn't alert in the other apartments. Eddie was alerting to cadaver scent not sniffing every inch of the floor for blood traces humans can't even see.

Eddie did alert to blood in 5A which was confirmed by Keela, IIRC. However the samples taken from the floor tiles was too minute or was inconclusive in forensic results.
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline Benice

« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2015, 09:50:22 PM »
Eddie wasn't looking for traces of blood. That's Keela's job after Eddie detects cadaver scent in a missing person case. See some examples above.

You seem to be saying that if Eddie detected the odour of blood - he would not alert.   That's simply not true PF.

Eddie searched for the odours he was trained to alert to.     If he detected any of those odours he alerted.       He had no ability to understand the difference between blood, bone tissue, teeth -  or even whether any dried blood he alerted to was from a dead or living person.    He was a clever dog - but he wasn't THAT clever.   All he knew is that he had detected an odour which he had been trained to alert to and so he barked,

From Grimes' Rogatory Statement

'The dog EVRD also alerts to blood from a live human being or only from a cadaver' ?

The dog EVRD is trained using whole and disintegrated material, blood, bone tissue, teeth, etc. and decomposed cross-contaminants.    The dog will recognize all or parts of a human cadaver.     He is not trained for 'live' human odours; no trained dog will recognize the smell of 'fresh blood'. They find, however, and give the alert for dried blood from a live human being.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2015, 09:52:18 PM »
Eddie did alert to blood in 5A which was confirmed by Keela, IIRC. However the samples taken from the floor tiles was too minute or was inconclusive in forensic results.

This is a missing person case. Eddie first alert suggested cadaver scent so the second alert could be the same again. If microscopic blood is found by Keela then police would think that is where death probably occurred. They work as a team to find evidence of death not to look for blood traces in every apartment.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2015, 10:00:16 PM »
This is a missing person case. Eddie first alert suggested cadaver scent so the second alert could be the same again. If microscopic blood is found by Keela then police would think that is where death probably occurred. They work as a team to find evidence of death not to look for blood traces in every apartment.

In my experience there are quite often large puddles of blood even if someone is dead.  Rarely are there microscopic particles unseen by the human eye.  Although every little helps, I suppose.

And when Eddie was a Victim Recovery Dog they hoped he would find live people as well as dead ones.

Offline Anna

« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2015, 10:01:44 PM »

Why would someone assume that a death had occurred, because of Microscopic traces of blood?

Yep they worked as a team to find evidence of a death and not to look for evidence of blood in every apartment.
 So Eddie was pre-warned then, not to look for blood?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:05:25 PM by Anna »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Alfred R Jones

« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
I find hard to believe after all this time and millions of words of discussion there are still people who don't understand how the dogs worked.

Offline Benice

« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2015, 10:04:32 PM »

So you think that when Grime sent Eddie in he said to him ''Ignore any blood odour and just alert to cadaverscent.?

You cannot be serious.

Why do you think Grime didn't send Keela into a place if Eddie had made no alerts there?

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2015, 10:14:31 PM »
In my experience there are quite often large puddles of blood even if someone is dead.  Rarely are there microscopic particles unseen by the human eye.  Although every little helps, I suppose.

And when Eddie was a Victim Recovery Dog they hoped he would find live people as well as dead ones.

If you were covering it up you would wash away any blood but some slipped in between the tiles where Keela alerted.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »
What might Eddie have alerted to; there is quite a choice.

Putrefaction of animal tissue produces cadaverine ~ it is present in urine and semen.

Cadaverine is related to putrescine both of which are produced by the breakdown of amino acids in living and dead organisms.
Cadaverine and putrescine are toxic in large doses.

Both cadaverine and putrecine are found in some microalgae found in fresh water and sea water.

It would appear that despite the coast of Portugal being on the Atlantic, Praia da Luz is not immune to the invasion of algae which is unsurprising when one considers the preponderance of green lichen on window cills.

For certain Eddie's nose would twitch if someone had discarding wet clothing, flip flops,towels which had been in contact with micralgae which had leached into grouting in the corner of a room.

Sea bathing banned at Praia da Luz
 Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:08 pm
I popped over to PdL this afternoon and found that there was a notice by the beach banning swimming in the sea with a reference to a Water Quality directive.

I was wondering if anybody knew any details.

Re: Sea bathing banned at Praia da Luz
 Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:34 am
Has it got something to do with this algae thats been found in the sea which is supposedly a danger to people, I read about it somewhere, maybe paper or forums.
Just found the link to it
algarvedailynews.com/n...rous-algae

http://www.expatfocus.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=31721/

Lichen on widow-sills is a myth debunked in the myths debunked section.

Algae in the water, seemingly hitting Luz but not nearby, that is very interesting but not on topic, so I shall say no more.
What's up, old man?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2015, 10:20:39 PM »
I find hard to believe after all this time and millions of words of discussion there are still people who don't understand how the dogs worked.

You don't understand that they work as a TEAM to find evidence of death.

"My professional opinion as regards to the EVRD's alert indications is that it is suggestive that this is 'cadaver scent' contaminant."

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARTIN_GRIMES.htm
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:23:14 PM by pathfinder73 »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2015, 10:24:37 PM »
You don't understand how they work as a TEAM.

"My professional opinion as regards to the EVRD's alert indications is that it is suggestive that this is 'cadaver scent' contaminant."

That's right suggestive...not confirmed...he goes on to say there are several reasons for the alert...that's the expert...

amaral says the alerts confrm Maddie died in the apartment..he's telling lies

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2015, 10:26:26 PM »
There was a sample of blood around the tile area that came from a Portuguese named person.  Probably shed when lifting the tiles.  Sorry, can't remember his name.
I cut myself on a chipped piece of tile last year and bled like a stuck pig for over half an hour.

The blood under the tiles almost certainly came from the original Tile Layer., which is what both Keela and Eddie alerted to.
It didn't have to have come from a dead person.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:55 PM »
You don't understand that they work as a TEAM to find evidence of death.

The dogs did not work as a Team.  They wouldn't have known the meaning of the word.

Eddie was simply flawed as a Cadaver Dog because he had been trained to detect blood long before he was introduced to dead piglets.
Martin Grime knew this.