Author Topic: Amaral and the dogs  (Read 844704 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Amaral and the dogs
« Reply #750 on: July 06, 2015, 08:36:59 PM »
Who says that they didn't reach the lab?

There are several threads on this. Here's one:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=1246.15

ferryman

« Reply #751 on: July 06, 2015, 08:48:40 PM »
Eddie was not desensitised to the scent of blood, Ferryman. This where confusion arises.

Agreed.

But Morse was ...

Offline jassi

« Reply #752 on: July 06, 2015, 08:50:30 PM »
There are several threads on this. Here's one:

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?topic=1246.15

Thank you. I shall read that later
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #753 on: July 06, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »
I believe you are correct, Brietta. Although Mr Grime owned both dogs, IIRC one of them had a different handler.

I meant cadaver dogs, Anna.  If one team's dog alerts to cadaver ... the next does a blind test if it also alerts in the same place it is corroboration.  Then the task is to locate the body and / or forensic evidence to bring to court.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #754 on: July 06, 2015, 09:00:28 PM »
The Eddie and Keela combination was a half-way house to attainment of the optimal combination, realised with Keela and Morse partnership.

This was an innovation of the US forensic canine program that matched a cadaver dog, desensitised to blood, with a second dog trained to react to nothing else (so that the potential advantage of finding blood was not lost).

Moreover, by having a cadaver dog desensitised to blood, that (in theory) increased confidence that if a cadaver dog alerted, it had, indeed, detected cadaver scent.

That is why, in the Bianca Jones case, the uncorroborated alerts of Morse were accepted as stand-alone  evidence of murder.

Morse also had very recent accredited independent training records in which he scored highly.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Brietta

« Reply #755 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:43 PM »
Agreed.

But Morse was ...

I have read something somewhere about desensitising cadaver dogs from blood or maybe even just to desist from alerting to blood? ...I can't find any reference to it at the moment.

I'm not quite sure I can get my head entirely around it though.  No-one knows exactly what components of decomposition the 'body' dogs alert to ... and there are different scents from different stages in decomposition ... and all human decomposition has blood as a component.

ferryman

« Reply #756 on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
I have read something somewhere about desensitising cadaver dogs from blood or maybe even just to desist from alerting to blood? ...I can't find any reference to it at the moment.

I'm not quite sure I can get my head entirely around it though.  No-one knows exactly what components of decomposition the 'body' dogs alert to ... and there are different scents from different stages in decomposition ... and all human decomposition has blood as a component.

I don't know how you desensitise a dog to a specific scent.  But you can clearly train a dog not to bark and the trick with Eddie (and other dogs of his type) is still cleverer; the canine equivalents of elective mutes, trained to bark at specific times and to specific scents, but at no other time or scent.

How do you train a dog not to bark at cats (for example?)

You clearly can ...

And I'm sure you can desensitise a dog to the scent of blood ....

Offline mercury

« Reply #757 on: July 06, 2015, 10:22:52 PM »
Uncorroborated cadaver dog alerts are not accepted as evidence precisely because cadaver dogs alert to blood.

Not quite, cadaver dog alerts are not evidence in England in the absence of a body....and there is no such thing as corroboration of their alerts in the absence of a body, or body parts, unless other  circumstantial and/or anecdotal evidence is combined with the alerts. You are also wrong to state that both dogs alerting in the same place MUST be an indication of blood only. The absence of corroboration of a "cadaver" alerg in the absence of a body is the main reason.

Offline Anna

« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2015, 10:32:03 PM »
I meant cadaver dogs, Anna.  If one team's dog alerts to cadaver ... the next does a blind test if it also alerts in the same place it is corroboration.  Then the task is to locate the body and / or forensic evidence to bring to court.

Sorry, Brietta, I misunderstood your post. I didn't know that they used two teams of cadaver dogs nowadays. Makes sense, I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 10:38:10 PM by Anna »
“You should not honour men more than truth.”
― Plato

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #759 on: July 07, 2015, 12:17:49 AM »
Agreed.

But Morse was ...

Rex A. Stockham, forensic canine program manager for the FBI, also testified about Morse on Wednesday. "I'm aware of no false positives for Morse," he said. "We've never had any case yet where the dog has responded and it's been shown to be incorrect."

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id421.html

An EVRD dog received additional training on human cadavers which were buried on land and submerged underwater. This took place in America and facilitated by the FBI at the University of Tennessee. The scent detection threshold of the dog is greatly enhanced.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/MARK_HARRISON.htm

FBI consultant Martin Grime told the High Court in Glasgow that he and his springer spaniel dogs, Eddie, Keela and Morse, were called in by Northern Constabulary in the hunt for Bob Rose, who disappeared on June 6 last year.

Mr Grime told prosecutor Alex Prentice QC that one of the dogs, Eddie, who is trained to detect dead bodies, reacted when he was taken to sand dunes at Sty Wick on June 24 last year.

He said: “His normal reaction is to bark. On this occasion he started to dig. As soon as he started to dig I called him back.”

The jury heard that a thin metal probe was then put into the spot Eddie indicated before a forensic anthropologist was called in to excavate the scene.

The jury was told that a body was found at the spot Eddie had indicated.

http://eddieandkeela.blogspot.com/2010/02/sniffer-dog-detected-body-in-orkney.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:49:18 AM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

ferryman

« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2015, 06:20:23 AM »
Not quite, cadaver dog alerts are not evidence in England in the absence of a body....and there is no such thing as corroboration of their alerts in the absence of a body, or body parts, unless other  circumstantial and/or anecdotal evidence is combined with the alerts. You are also wrong to state that both dogs alerting in the same place MUST be an indication of blood only. The absence of corroboration of a "cadaver" alerg in the absence of a body is the main reason.

I am precisely right in every last detail ...

ferryman

« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2015, 06:41:01 AM »
An EVRD dog received additional training on human cadavers

EVRD is a classification limited to Grime and Eddie.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2015, 06:49:55 AM »
An EVRD dog received additional training on human cadavers

EVRD is a classification limited to Grime and Eddie.

This is true.

Offline Carew

« Reply #763 on: July 07, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

Yes, Ferryman is wrong to keep stating this as fact.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 02:27:36 PM by John »

Offline Carew

« Reply #764 on: July 07, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
I am precisely right in every last detail ...

No, you are not.