Author Topic: Amaral and the dogs  (Read 844654 times)

Offline pegasus

Re: Amaral and the dogs
« Reply #1785 on: August 03, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
Very good explanation of false and true negatives and positives.  Also of interest was ...

In the case mentioned at the outset of this article, police attempted to determine whether a human remains detection dog could detect residual odor from a decomposing body they suspected had been transported some time earlier in a rental car.

The rental car, a subcompact, was placed in a police parking garage that was filled with various police vehicles.

The rental car was the only non-police vehicle, the only subcompact, and had out of state license plates, facts which
the dog handler admitted to having noticed.

A film of the event showed the dog passing by the subject rental car without alert until the handler drew the attention of the dog to it again.
United States v. Anderson (E.D. Mich. Case No. 2003 CR 80602) Unquote.

The McCann rental vehicle was covered with Madeleine posters ... so hardly a 'blind' inspection.
Peeps seem to be imagining this was a test of one suspect vehicle and a dozen known-clean vehicles.
It wasn't.
Every vehicle there was a vehicle of interest to the investigation.
Every vehicle was being tested.

Offline sadie

« Reply #1786 on: August 03, 2015, 11:47:43 PM »
Peeps seem to be imagining this was a test of one suspect vehicle and a dozen known-clean vehicles.
It wasn't.
Every vehicle there was a vehicle of interest to the investigation.
Every vehicle was being tested.
Oh is that so?

Why didn't Martin keep calling Eddie back to the other vehicles as he did with the Mccann car then?

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1787 on: August 03, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »
Oh is that so?

Why didn't Martin keep calling Eddie back to the other vehicles as he did with the Mccann car then?
He did. It's in the extended vehicle video. He calls the Eddie back to other vehicles. And cues Eddie to examine certain areas on other vehicles. All the vehicles were of interest, all the vehicles were connected directly or indirectly to T9 or RM.

Offline sadie

« Reply #1788 on: August 04, 2015, 12:45:45 AM »
He did. It's in the extended vehicle video. He calls the Eddie back to other vehicles. And cues Eddie to examine certain areas on other vehicles. All the vehicles were of interest, all the vehicles were connected directly or indirectly to T9 or RM.
Can we see the extended vehicle video please

Offline pegasus

« Reply #1789 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:38 AM »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1791 on: August 04, 2015, 11:42:58 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4NMYPsFKb8#t=4312

Revealed in all it's glory.  I wonder how much Martin Grime got paid for that farce.

And incidentally, Eddie never at any time reacted to CuddleCat, or even to the cupboard in which the toy was hidden.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1792 on: August 04, 2015, 11:59:04 AM »
Revealed in all it's glory.  I wonder how much Martin Grime got paid for that farce.

And incidentally, Eddie never at any time reacted to CuddleCat, or even to the cupboard in which the toy was hidden.

I think secondary transfer was on CC so a weaker scent and it had a good wash and clean. Another suspicious action before the dogs arrived. Reverted to puppy toy play mode so it was hidden.

Police Dog Training Instructor
Uk Police
January 1984 – August 2007 (23 years 8 months)
Human remains search.

Cornwall, UK
A woman was reported missing by her partner. A search of the suspects
house by the EVRD was conducted who indicated on the living room carpet.
No forensic evidence was recovered. Subsequently a diary written by the
suspect was alert indicated by the dog
. The diary had written extracts that the
offender had laid the victim on the carpet whilst dead, the diary had in fact
been written by the suspect having handled the body.
This was confirmed by
the offender in interview.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

ferryman

« Reply #1793 on: August 04, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
I think secondary transfer was on CC so a weaker scent and it had a good wash and clean. Another suspicious action before the dogs arrived. Reverted to puppy toy play mode so it was hidden.

Uk Police
January 1984 – August 2007 (23 years 8 months)
Human remains search.

Cornwall, UK
A woman was reported missing by her partner. A search of the suspects
house by the EVRD was conducted who indicated on the living room carpet.
No forensic evidence was recovered. Subsequently a diary written by the
suspect was alert indicated by the dog
. The diary had written extracts that the
offender had laid the victim on the carpet whilst dead, the diary had in fact
been written by the suspect having handled the body.
This was confirmed by
the offender in interview.

The thing I find most interesting about that account is an absence -- no name to the case.

Why not?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1794 on: August 04, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »

I don't see how it could be a weaker scent for any reason since Eddie didn't react to CuddleCat at all.  Or the cupboard.

CuddleCat wasn't in that cupboard for very long, so the scent can hardly have drifted away from the object, and left the object all together.

But I agree that Martin Grime might have tried reverting to puppy play mode, but it didn't work, did it.  Eddie didn't find it.

But I did so love the look on Martin Grime's face when he produced it.  Pity about Eddie.

Offline Admin

« Reply #1795 on: August 04, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »
Sending a single dog handler to PdL was the mistake they made. The fact that a journalist with questionable credentials was involved renders the entire fiasco extremely suspect.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 12:38:38 PM by Admin »

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1796 on: August 04, 2015, 12:45:52 PM »
I don't see how it could be a weaker scent for any reason since Eddie didn't react to CuddleCat at all.  Or the cupboard.

CuddleCat wasn't in that cupboard for very long, so the scent can hardly have drifted away from the object, and left the object all together.

But I agree that Martin Grime might have tried reverting to puppy play mode, but it didn't work, did it.  Eddie didn't find it.

But I did so love the look on Martin Grime's face when he produced it.  Pity about Eddie.

If your clothes are in direct contact with a cadaver then a stronger contaminated scent will be on the clothes than if you touched a cadaver with your hands and then picked something else up like a diary or a toy i.e. secondary transfer. I think everybody can agree with that conclusion. Direct contact with a cadaver will be a stronger scent.
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1797 on: August 04, 2015, 12:46:31 PM »
Sending a single dog handler to PdL was the mistake they made. The fact that a journalist with questionable credentials was involved renders the entire fiasco extremely suspect.

And he is so proud of these videos that he's got his name stamped all over them, in your face.

And just who did put CuddleCat in that cupboard?  Whose idea was that?

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1798 on: August 04, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
If your clothes are in direct contact with a cadaver then a stronger contaminated scent will be on the clothes than if you touched a cadaver with your hands and then picked something else up like a diary or a toy i.e. secondary transfer. I think everybody can agree with that conclusion. Direct contact with a cadaver will be a stronger scent.

So where and to what did this happen?

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #1799 on: August 04, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
So where and to what did this happen?

The obvious explanation from the dog alerts is that the missing child died in the apartment and after handling the cadaver CC was placed on the bed and was a part of staging.