Author Topic: Jeremy Bamber lawyers seek review of CPS refusal to disclose evidence.  (Read 6189 times)

Offline John

Jeremy Bamber lawyers seek review of CPS refusal to disclose evidence.

Bamber is serving life sentence for killing his parents, sister and her twin boys in 1985.

Lawyers representing Jeremy Bamber, who is serving a whole life sentence for killing five members of his family in 1985, will ask the high court to review the refusal of the Crown Prosecution Service to disclose evidence they believe could undermine his conviction.

They claim the material was made available to an author working on a televised drama about the killings, but not to his defence team.

Earlier this year, Carol Ann Lee, the author of the book on which the recent ITV docudrama, White House Farm, was based, said Essex police had assisted her research by providing her with documents from the case.

Lee posted an image on Instagram showing a series of numbered documents that have not been disclosed to the defence. She wrote on Instagram: “It was interesting to see and read all the original material.”

The numbered documents taken from Holmes boxes (an administrative system introduced in 1985 to support major investigations) include files numbered 75/13 and 75/15, which Bamber says he has never seen. After Bamber’s legal team complained to the CPS the Instagram post was deleted.

Bamber, aged 59, has spent the past 35 years sifting through millions of documents in an attempt to prove his conviction is unsafe. Because the files in the Holmes boxes are all numbered, he believes certain files have not been disclosed.

The hearing on Friday in Leeds follows the refusal by a high court judge to judicially review the decision of the CPS not to disclose material to Bamber’s defence team. That was a “paper hearing” in which the judge considered the written evidence in private without representation from Bamber’s legal team. At Friday’s hearing, known as an oral renewal, the case will be fully reconsidered, supported by oral submissions from Bamber’s legal team.

Bamber’s adoptive parents Nevill and June Bamber were shot and killed inside their Essex farmhouse during the night of 6-7 August 1985, along with their adopted daughter, Sheila Caffell, and her six-year-old twin boys. Bamber, then 24, had phoned the police to say Nevill had phoned him, saying his sister, Caffell, had “gone crazy and has the gun”.

Initially, police believed that Caffell had fired the shots then turned the gun on herself. But, on 10 August, after the police ended their examination of the crime scene, a relative of Nevill and June Bamber, David Boutflour, found a silencer in the gun cupboard of the farmhouse. It was later said to contain blood belonging to Sheila Caffell.

On 7 September 1985, Jeremy Bamber’s ex-girlfriend told police Bamber had discussed killing his family with her and that he was involved. On 29 September 1985 Bamber was charged with the murders.

After the jury was sent out to reach a verdict, it returned and asked the judge for clarification on the silencer and blood evidence. The judge said it contained only the blood of Sheila Caffell. Seventeen minutes later, the jury returned and convicted Bamber by a 10 to two majority.

In 2018 the Guardian revealed that a week before the trial, the head of biology at Huntingdon Forensic Science Laboratories wrote to Essex police saying the blood on the silencer “could have come from Sheila Caffell or Robert Boutflour”, another relative. That letter was not disclosed to the defence.

The Guardian also revealed that a peer-reviewed report compiled by Philip Boyce, a ballistics expert at Forensic Equity Ltd, was sent to the CPS in 2019 about the possibility that there had been more than one silencer. The CPS has dismissed his findings, without employing its own expert to study his report.

At the trial the prosecution argued that Caffell could not have killed herself because she had been shot in the neck twice. Earlier this year, the Guardian revealed statements made by senior police officers who attended the crime scene had been uncovered, stating that they had only seen one bullethole in Caffell’s neck. Again, these statements were not disclosed to the defence. Bamber believes other vital records have not been disclosed.

Mark Newby a solicitor advocate at Quality Solicitors Jordans, which represents Bamber, said: “Since proceedings were issued it came to our attention that the author of the book the ITV drama was based upon appears to have received material directly from the police.

“It cannot be right that an author has been given material that Mr Bamber’s defence team have not seen, particularly in light of the persistent refusal by the CPS to disclose specific material we have been asking for. It raises the question of whether a work of fiction is more important than justice.”

Bamber, speaking from Wakefield prison, told the Guardian: “It is disgusting that a third party was provided with documents and sensitive photographs when Essex police and the CPS have been unwilling to hand over material to our own forensic experts to prove that two silencers were recovered from the scene.

“Despite court orders being in place for them to make full disclosure to us, which they deliberately chose to ignore, when Carol Ann Lee requested material she was given it without a second thought. Where is my justice?”

A spokesperson for Essex police said: “We are aware of the claim made by Jeremy Bamber and can confirm that this matter forms part of an ongoing judicial review. As this matter is therefore the subject of a forthcoming legal hearing it would not be appropriate for us to comment further.”

On 1 May, the case was adjourned to 29 May.

• This article was amended on 1 May 2020. The name of the ITV docu-drama was White House Farm, not White House Farm Murders. This has been corrected.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/30/jeremy-bamber-lawyers-seek-review-of-cps-refusal-to-disclose-evidence
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 03:53:49 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Common sense

Permission for the JR has already been refused  'on the papers' so the headline should really be

"Bamber seeks review of the decision to refuse a review of the decision not to disclose irrelevant evidence"

Not as snappy as the original though.

It seems the Bamber team requested an adjournment after the crown appeared to ambush them at the renewal hearing with further reasons why Bamber is wasting everybody's time.Yet the Bamberista's are all excited that something is actually happening

Personally, I think Newby is using Bamber to make a wider point about disclosure and the decades old practice of only allowing a defendant evidence that is relevant and not the entire contents of police storage.

Offline John

Permission for the JR has already been refused  'on the papers' so the headline should really be

"Bamber seeks review of the decision to refuse a review of the decision not to disclose irrelevant evidence"

Not as snappy as the original though.

It seems the Bamber team requested an adjournment after the crown appeared to ambush them at the renewal hearing with further reasons why Bamber is wasting everybody's time.Yet the Bamberista's are all excited that something is actually happening

Personally, I think Newby is using Bamber to make a wider point about disclosure and the decades old practice of only allowing a defendant evidence that is relevant and not the entire contents of police storage.

I would agree with your last point, these lawyers are a grubby lot, only interested in making a name for themself.  The last lawyer who dumped him begged me to remove all references to Bamber and himself from the forum because the association to a child killer was an embarrassment to his own family. Some never learn!

I don't believe there is a single document currently being held by Essex Police that could advance his case in any way, the entire fiasco is merely a stunt to keep his picture in the papers.  I think its about time this charade was ended.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:20:09 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Nicholas

8((()*/
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

Open justice charter launch: Steven Avery’s lawyers support calls for greater transparency by Jon Robins of The Justice Gap - Feb 2017

Dean Strang:
Excerpt:
“The lawyer said that he had attended a number of trials in a number of cities in the UK. Whilst he said that the differences were ‘hard to articulate intangible even’.

There is a sharpness to the elbows in American procedure, and a certitude – from the police officers, defence lawyers, prosecutors and judges – about the way in which all of us express the impossibility of us ever being wrong. There is a drift to the extremes in the way in which we advocate and an ugliness
https://www.thejusticegap.com/unacceptably-haphazard-steven-averys-lawyers-support-open-justice-campaign/

Thanks to Barry Sheerman MP for hosting the meeting. We are also grateful Hodge Jones & Allen and Bowden Jones for their generous support.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:27:49 PM by Nicholas »
Who wants to take on this great massive lie?” Writer Martin Preib on the tsunami of innocence fraud sweeping our nation

Offline Nicholas

I would agree with your last point, these lawyers are a grubby lot, only interested in making a name for themself.  His last lawyer who dumped him begged me to remove all references to Bamber and himself from the forum because the association to a child killer was an embarrassment to his own family. Some never learn!

Did he now

Offline Nicholas

Mark Newby wrote and published an article in The Justice Gap in Feb 2016, it was headed ‘It’s not for the police to decide a case, they are supposed to collect evidence’

He stated,
“Today, Hogan Howe, writing in the Guardian, says that

’a good investigator would test the accuracy of the allegations and the evidence with an open mind, supporting the complainant through the process’.

The full article’s here https://www.thejusticegap.com/12516/

There’s also an article here https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2003/jun/28/weekend7.weekend2 headed, ‘the final irony’

Mark Newby also wrote and published the following https://www.thejusticegap.com/cant-find-an-appeal-lawyer-blame-the-moj/ (July 2015)

Excerpt:
When someone is wrongfully convicted – or serving an unfair sentence – their first thought might be to get hold of an experienced appeal lawyer. However not only has the pool of such lawyers shrunk over the last few years – but the remaining lawyers are currently under attack from the Legal Aid Agency which administers the legal aid scheme through its aggressive audit practices. The net result will be that more  lawyers will continue to withdraw from publicly-funded work.

Who is funding Mark Newby & Joe Stone in order to represent Bamber ? Anyone know?

Another article by Mark Newby here https://www.thejusticegap.com/savile-bryn-estyn-and-the-danger-of-modern-witch-hunts-2/

referred to ‘A modern day witch-hunt
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:35:21 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

I don't believe there is a single document current being held by Essex Police that could advance his case in any way, the entire fiasco is merely a stunt to keep his picture in the papers.  I think its about time this charade was ended.

8((()*/

Offline Nicholas

I would agree with your last point, these lawyers are a grubby lot, only interested in making a name for themself.  His last lawyer who dumped him begged me to remove all references to Bamber and himself from the forum because the association to a child killer was an embarrassment to his own family. Some never learn!

Isn’t it interesting how the name Bamber here https://simonmckay.co.uk/cases/ hasn’t been highlighted bold like the names of the other cases
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:43:05 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Common sense

I don't believe there is a single document current being held by Essex Police that could advance his case in any way, the entire fiasco is merely a stunt to keep his picture in the papers.  I think its about time this charade was ended.

I don't agree that all lawyers are grubby, some are of course but some care about justice and they provide a very important balance in ensuring that even the guiltiest of defendants have had a fair trial before we throw away the key. The law is a mystery to most of us and it's important that the power of the state is checked by someone so I can see Newby's point.

The practice of the police and prosecution being in charge of disclosure has been criticised since the rules were changed decades ago, more recently brought into sharp focus with the case of Liam Allen a couple of years back where exculpatory evidence had not just been withheld from his defence, but the CPS too.

In this regard, I don't think this is a case of Newby fighting Bambers corner because he thinks he is innocent, he certainly hasn't used those words. I think the last "lawyer" to do so was the dodgy Italian. Bamber is just a high interest case that Newby can use to further his own agenda and that of the MOJ circle. The next stage after this one fails will be to attack the CCRC when they inevitably refuse to refer his case ( again!)   

While I agree that there is surely no new evidence to which Bamber is entitled - he can continue to get a lot of mileage out of casting suspicion that there may or must be something those crooked authorities are hiding.

If this was a case just about Bamber, I and possibly the judiciary would let him have the lot so he can shut up but to do so would open the floodgates to every chancer wishing to trawl through the contents of police storage searching for loopholes and typos to exploit.

Thus,I don't think we've heard the end of Bambers whinging about withheld evidence sadly.

Offline Angelo222

I don't agree that all lawyers are grubby, some are of course but some care about justice and they provide a very important balance in ensuring that even the guiltiest of defendants have had a fair trial before we throw away the key. The law is a mystery to most of us and it's important that the power of the state is checked by someone so I can see Newby's point.

The practice of the police and prosecution being in charge of disclosure has been criticised since the rules were changed decades ago, more recently brought into sharp focus with the case of Liam Allen a couple of years back where exculpatory evidence had not just been withheld from his defence, but the CPS too.

In this regard, I don't think this is a case of Newby fighting Bambers corner because he thinks he is innocent, he certainly hasn't used those words. I think the last "lawyer" to do so was the dodgy Italian. Bamber is just a high interest case that Newby can use to further his own agenda and that of the MOJ circle. The next stage after this one fails will be to attack the CCRC when they inevitably refuse to refer his case ( again!)   

While I agree that there is surely no new evidence to which Bamber is entitled - he can continue to get a lot of mileage out of casting suspicion that there may or must be something those crooked authorities are hiding.

If this was a case just about Bamber, I and possibly the judiciary would let him have the lot so he can shut up but to do so would open the floodgates to every chancer wishing to trawl through the contents of police storage searching for loopholes and typos to exploit.

Thus,I don't think we've heard the end of Bambers whinging about withheld evidence sadly.

It gives Bamber a reason to get up in the morning otherwise he would end up like Harold Shipman or Simon Hall.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Nicholas

I don't agree that all lawyers are grubby, some are of course but some care about justice

In this regard, I don't think this is a case of Newby fighting Bambers corner because he thinks he is innocent, he certainly hasn't used those words. I think the last "lawyer" to do so was the dodgy Italian. Bamber is just a high interest case that Newby can use to further his own agenda and that of the MOJ circle

Don’t know if Mark Newby had a conscience or not ?

But do know Bamber’s case is not about ‘justice’

justice
/ˈdʒʌstɪs/
noun
just behaviour or treatment.
"a concern for justice, peace, and genuine respect for people"
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 05:50:39 PM by Nicholas »

Offline Nicholas

Isn’t it interesting how the name Bamber here https://simonmckay.co.uk/cases/ hasn’t been highlighted bold like the names of the other cases

Did Mr McKay contact you or GDS or both?

Offline Angelo222

Don’t know if Mark Newby had a conscience or not ?

But do know Bamber’s case is not about ‘justice’

justice
/ˈdʒʌstɪs/
noun
just behaviour or treatment.
"a concern for justice, peace, and genuine respect for people"

Like so many of these cases they are looking for a technicality.  It's not about guilt or innocence.
De troothe has the annoying habit of coming to the surface just when you least expect it!!

Je ne regrette rien!!

Offline Nicholas

Like so many of these cases they are looking for a technicality.  It's not about guilt or innocence.

It’s about innocence fraud

There was once money to be made from ‘post conviction litigation’