Author Topic: Brexit has well and truly begun!  (Read 286626 times)

Offline Miss Taken Identity

Re: Brexit has well and truly begun!
« Reply #2310 on: April 15, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »
Why didn't Brits take the jobs?

Where were they advertised in the UK apart from Romania job centers  do you know?

And who managed to 'find' these hard workers DWP staff?  lol Hell no!
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #2311 on: April 15, 2020, 10:21:09 PM »
No UK unemployed knew that it's fruit / veg season?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2312 on: April 15, 2020, 10:25:58 PM »
They pay tax in this country they are entitled to the benefits that stem from it.

Ifbits a short term job they want earn enough to pay tax

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2313 on: April 15, 2020, 10:43:24 PM »
No UK unemployed knew that it's fruit / veg season?
I’ve suggested to my 17 year old son that he gets picking this summer and he’s quite up for it.  I think the government should maybe spend some money doing a recruitment drive, ads on telly and social media that sort of thing, make it look like a fun way to earn some cash, get a tan, get fit etc..
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2314 on: April 15, 2020, 11:37:16 PM »

Only after a qualifying period! paying 40 quid in tax for 2 months then demanding benefits for all the family is pathetic.

Then the two months after that etc etc for as long as they work here.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Carana

« Reply #2315 on: April 21, 2020, 05:18:50 PM »
I’ve suggested to my 17 year old son that he gets picking this summer and he’s quite up for it.  I think the government should maybe spend some money doing a recruitment drive, ads on telly and social media that sort of thing, make it look like a fun way to earn some cash, get a tan, get fit etc..

Absolutely, although snipping the odd grape in glorious weather sounds more fun than wrenching up early spring veg at the break of dawn in cold, and heavy rain. 

A problem with seasonal fruit/ veg picking work is that it can require some experience / skill to get up to speed.

When the euro was higher, it was lucrative for Eastern Europeans, and many returned year after year.
https://www.ft.com/content/13e183ee-c099-11e7-b8a3-38a6e068f464

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2316 on: April 21, 2020, 05:34:38 PM »
Absolutely, although snipping the odd grape in glorious weather sounds more fun than wrenching up early spring veg at the break of dawn in cold, and heavy rain. 

A problem with seasonal fruit/ veg picking work is that it can require some experience / skill to get up to speed.

When the euro was higher, it was lucrative for Eastern Europeans, and many returned year after year.
https://www.ft.com/content/13e183ee-c099-11e7-b8a3-38a6e068f464
Unfortunately he is too young to sign up, as he needs to have turned 18 by the end of May but his birthday is later in the year.
"Surely the fact that their accounts were different reinforces their veracity rather than diminishes it? If they had colluded in protecting ........ surely all of their accounts would be the same?" - Faithlilly

Offline Carana

« Reply #2317 on: April 21, 2020, 06:22:24 PM »
Unfortunately he is too young to sign up, as he needs to have turned 18 by the end of May but his birthday is later in the year.

He can't do a stint at seasonal work until 18?

Blimey, makes me feel old. I spent summer "hols" doing all kinds of odd jobs at 13-14.

Offline Venturi Swirl

« Reply #2318 on: April 21, 2020, 06:41:53 PM »
He can't do a stint at seasonal work until 18?

Blimey, makes me feel old. I spent summer "hols" doing all kinds of odd jobs at 13-14.
Not on the government’s own recruiting website no.  He probably could if he pitched up at a local farm, however there aren’t many fruit and veg farms local to us.

Offline Carana

« Reply #2319 on: April 23, 2020, 11:31:02 AM »
I never know which thread to post in. Soz. Sometimes where there's an ongoing convo, sometimes according to the thread title.
CNN:

On Tuesday, in an interview with The Washington Post, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield issued a somewhat dire warning about the coronavirus -- and how long it might be with us.
"There's a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through," Redfield told the Post. "And when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean. We're going to have the flu epidemic and the coronavirus epidemic at the same time."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/22/politics/robert-redfield-cdc-mcenany/index.html

That hit me.

UK winter 2020/2021 = flu + COVID-19 + Brexit.

19/03/2020
"London insists it won’t request an extension to EU-UK trade talks despite the EU’s lead negotiator Michel Barnier announcing he has contracted COVID-19.

The UK government is also doubling down on its threat to walk away at the end of June if sufficient progress hasn’t been made in EU-UK trade talks.

London issued a statement today saying they wish Michel Barnier a “speedy recovery” but says it intends to conclude talks on a future relationship by the end of the year regardless of the global pandemic.

And a UK government source has confirmed to Euronews that they still intend to walk away from negotiations if they feel sufficient or meaningful progress hasn’t been made by June.

"We haven’t defined what sufficient progress looks like but if we can’t make progress in areas that we think we should be able to then how will we get anywhere on more difficult areas," the source said.

Alternative arrangements to meeting face-to-face are being sourced by the UK such as the use technology and teleconferencing to support negotiations."
https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/19/brexit-uk-will-not-seek-trade-talks-extension-despite-barnier-having-covid-19

Both Barnier and the UK homologue (David Frost) went down with COVID-19.

Has anyone seen any indication that the UK might ask for an extension prior to the end of June deadline?

Latest I've seen:

David Frost
@DavidGHFrost
·
Apr 16
As we prepare for the next Rounds of negotiations, I want to reiterate the Government's position on the transition period created following our withdrawal from the EU.

Transition ends on 31 December this year.

We will not ask to extend it. If the EU asks we will say no. 1/2
David Frost
@DavidGHFrost
Extending would simply prolong negotiations, create even more uncertainty, leave us liable to pay more to the EU in future, and keep us bound by evolving EU laws at a time when we need to control our own affairs. In short, it is not in the UK's interest to extend. 2/2
4:42 PM · Apr 16, 2020·Twitter for Android

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/status/1250796638987333632

Holy sh**.

Here was I thinking that Brexit alone was going to be a disaster for years to come...

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2320 on: April 23, 2020, 12:34:36 PM »
I never know which thread to post in. Soz. Sometimes where there's an ongoing convo, sometimes according to the thread title.
CNN:

On Tuesday, in an interview with The Washington Post, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield issued a somewhat dire warning about the coronavirus -- and how long it might be with us.
"There's a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through," Redfield told the Post. "And when I've said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don't understand what I mean. We're going to have the flu epidemic and the coronavirus epidemic at the same time."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/22/politics/robert-redfield-cdc-mcenany/index.html

That hit me.

UK winter 2020/2021 = flu + COVID-19 + Brexit.

19/03/2020
"London insists it won’t request an extension to EU-UK trade talks despite the EU’s lead negotiator Michel Barnier announcing he has contracted COVID-19.

The UK government is also doubling down on its threat to walk away at the end of June if sufficient progress hasn’t been made in EU-UK trade talks.

London issued a statement today saying they wish Michel Barnier a “speedy recovery” but says it intends to conclude talks on a future relationship by the end of the year regardless of the global pandemic.

And a UK government source has confirmed to Euronews that they still intend to walk away from negotiations if they feel sufficient or meaningful progress hasn’t been made by June.

"We haven’t defined what sufficient progress looks like but if we can’t make progress in areas that we think we should be able to then how will we get anywhere on more difficult areas," the source said.

Alternative arrangements to meeting face-to-face are being sourced by the UK such as the use technology and teleconferencing to support negotiations."
https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/19/brexit-uk-will-not-seek-trade-talks-extension-despite-barnier-having-covid-19

Both Barnier and the UK homologue (David Frost) went down with COVID-19.

Has anyone seen any indication that the UK might ask for an extension prior to the end of June deadline?

Latest I've seen:

David Frost
@DavidGHFrost
·
Apr 16
As we prepare for the next Rounds of negotiations, I want to reiterate the Government's position on the transition period created following our withdrawal from the EU.

Transition ends on 31 December this year.

We will not ask to extend it. If the EU asks we will say no. 1/2
David Frost
@DavidGHFrost
Extending would simply prolong negotiations, create even more uncertainty, leave us liable to pay more to the EU in future, and keep us bound by evolving EU laws at a time when we need to control our own affairs. In short, it is not in the UK's interest to extend. 2/2
4:42 PM · Apr 16, 2020·Twitter for Android

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/status/1250796638987333632

Holy sh**.

Here was I thinking that Brexit alone was going to be a disaster for years to come...

I think the govt are absolutely  right ...if the EU want to make a deal they can... They just want to hold out for the deal they want

Offline Carana

« Reply #2321 on: April 23, 2020, 12:49:22 PM »
Is it just me, or does this message by leave.eu sound distinctly trumpian?

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1253279590056972290

Offline Carana

« Reply #2322 on: April 23, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »
Davel, undoing and recontstructing UK-EU relations will takes years, if not decades. The UK has 6 weeks, in the middle of a pandemic, to decide on whethr to request an extension or not. The EU also has a pandemic to deal with.

For those (including me) who were worried about how the UK (or the rest of the EU) would deal with Brexit-related just-in-time supply chain issues as of next year...

It's not just about the economic impact, either.

Taking back control (of whatever it was they felt they'd actually lost) doesn't seem to be faring too well.

How on earth will the UK cope with this surge of the pandemic, a possible / probable upsurge in winter and no/little cooperation with their nearest neighbours over... anything concrete by Jan 1 2021?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2323 on: April 23, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
Davel, undoing and recontstructing UK-EU relations will takes years, if not decades. The UK has 6 weeks, in the middle of a pandemic, to decide on whethr to request an extension or not. The EU also has a pandemic to deal with.

For those (including me) who were worried about how the UK (or the rest of the EU) would deal with Brexit-related just-in-time supply chain issues as of next year...

It's not just about the economic impact, either.

Taking back control (of whatever it was they felt they'd actually lost) doesn't seem to be faring too well.

How on earth will the UK cope with this surge of the pandemic, a possible / probable upsurge in winter and no/little cooperation with their nearest neighbours over... anything concrete by Jan 1 2021?

I think they will cope just well. I dont know what you are impying in red. There were specific reasons they wished to leave the EU after Cameron's attempt for some cooperation from the EU went ignored

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #2324 on: April 23, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »
Is it just me, or does this message by leave.eu sound distinctly trumpian?

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1253279590056972290

Yep.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?