Author Topic: The Felicia Cabrita story about the 14 bottles of wine.  (Read 34934 times)

Offline John

The Felicia Cabrita story about the 14 bottles of wine.
« on: June 28, 2013, 04:04:05 AM »
On 18 August 2007, the Portuguese national newspaper Sol published an article by Felicia Cabrita as follows...

SOL - AUGUST 18

New contradictions in Maddie's case

By Felicia Cabrita, with Margarida Davim
Translation by astro

The version that the McCann couple and their group of friends have been giving about what happened on the night that Madeleine disappeared, is shaken by new testimonies that were collected by Sol.

The English started by saying they took turns every 15 minutes in order to, through the windows of the rooms where the children were sleeping, listen if anything abnormal was happening. This vigilance system, which they assure was efficient throughout a week of holidays, is questioned by an English citizen who lives in the apartment above the one that was occupied by Kate and Gerry McCann.

Employees deny Russell

Fenn told Sol that, on the night before she disappeared, Maddie cried for quite some time, calling out daddy! daddy!

Also the table waiters that were working in the resort's restaurant, the Tapas, where the group of friends had dinner that night didn't notice much movement of checking on the children. One of them guaranteed to Sol that, since the beginning of dinner (which started between 8.30 and 9 p.m.), only two men got up, almost simultaneously.

One of them was Russell O'Brien, one of the doctors of the group, who was absent for most of the dinner and who returned to the table 5 minutes before Kate went to her apartment and noticed Maddie was missing. Russell then explained that his daughter was sick, and even vomited so it was necessary to change her bed sheets. One of the employees of the Ocean Club, who was heard by Sol this week, contradicts his version: "If that had happened, he would have to ask the housekeeping service for some clean sheets, which did not happen".

During the short hour that dinner lasted, the group asked for, and consumed at their table, eight bottles of red wine and six of white wine, according to the restaurant's records.

GNR was on location since 11 p.m. With the help of a member of staff from the Ocean Club, who helped as a translator until 4 a.m., they collected the first reports. Although Maddie?s mother guaranteed that, when she noticed her daughter was missing, the shutters of the room where the children were sleeping were up and the window was open, the members of this police force did not detect any clues to indicate that these had been forced.

On the other hand, the resort's employee guaranteed to Sol that the shutters are so old and simple that, with the sun exposure they were subject to in these 14 years, if anyone did try to open them from the outside, they would have broken. The main door to the apartment didn't show any signs of a break-in, either.

The McCann family were never alone. Dozens of members of staff at the resort appealed to the local population, mostly English citizens, and the surrounding areas were searched thoroughly. The couple was busy making phone calls.

Aurelio Guerreiro, the owner of a bar at the marina in Vilamoura, was close to being involved. His testimony to Sol confuses the McCanns' time version. Sometime between 0.30 and 1 a.m., Aurelio got a phone call from an old customer: Pat Perkins, the human resources director from a public English organism. She calls him, upset: "She told me the daughter of British friends of her, who were vacationing close to Lagos, had disappeared over 3 hours ago, that they were completely alone and that nobody was helping them to search for her".

Kate McCann had just informed her parents of the tragedy. Pat, who lives in Liverpool, confirms: "I was at Kate's parents' house at that moment. But I have nothing further to add".

Guerreiro tells what he did after Pat called him: "I understood she wanted me to go meet them, but I was an hour away from their location, and I could not close the bar, I decided to call the police". After PJ in Portimao confirmed to him they already knew about the case, Aurelio phoned Kate, at the number that Pat had given him: "An English man picked up. He thanked me, and contrary to what I expected, he didn't ask me for anything".

Minutes after this phone call, Gerry asks for the priest from the Luz parish to be called for him but the Ocean Club staff members refused, given the time it was. At 4 in the morning, Jane was asking a member of GNR: "Have you cut off all the roads already?". Minutes later, Gerry, given the fact that the priest didn't appear, asked another element of GNR to show him the way to the church.

Couple wants to return to England

As Sol has been reporting, the clues that were collected by PJ with the help of English police, lead to a turnaround in the investigation. One of the dogs used by the British marked Maddie's death inside the apartment. On the other hand, blood was found inside the bedroom where the McCanns children were sleeping, which has been dissimulated with the help of whiteners, and is still being analysed in a British laboratory.

The path that the English dogs followed 2 weeks ago, in the surroundings of the apartment, exclude the possibility that the child was abducted and is still alive. The dogs walked the only two paths that Maddie's family and friends knew.

One of them leads to Luz beach. The Irish citizen Martin Smith, a local resident for years, told Sol that on that night he crossed ways with a man who was carrying a child, with the characteristics of Maddie. That path was searched by police and other people. Six days after the disappearance, Gerry, who was accompanied by an unknown individual, also seemed to participate in the searches, but on the opposite side of the way the dogs walked.

Parents are leaving

Throughout this week, much was speculated in the press. The Times published that the blood that was collected inside the apartment is not Maddie's but from an individual from the European northeast. The English lab denied this, stating that they have not finished their work yet. The McCanns were saying yesterday in several newspapers that they were considering going back to their country.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:40:54 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

Re: The Felicia Cabrita story about the 14 bottles of wine.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 08:39:16 AM »
I don't think it's fair to be constantly blaming the press, even the tabloids. They sell only what people are ready to buy.
It's a fact that the planet was amazed to learn that educated people, mainly doctors, would leave their kids alone, out of ear and eye shot, in strange flats in a foreign country, just to socialize and laugh at Ms Tanner relieving Mr O'Brien ah ah !
Should we be surprised that the popular press echoed this ?
As for "Rule Britannia", well the UK authorities made it clear that Britannia rules the waves!

Or the papers dumb down their readers enough to make them want to read what they have to sell - and much of it wasn't even true anyway, including Felicia Cabrita and her misinterpretation of the 14 bottles of wine.

I wonder how she got hold of that?

Offline Carana

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2013, 01:46:55 PM »
Woudn't you agree that many people at the time assumed that the 14-bottles story was true?

I wondered myself in the early days, until I saw the restaurant sheet. How many people bothered to check?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:16:23 AM by John »

AnneGuedes

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Woudn't you agree that many people at the time assumed that the 14-bottles story was true?

I wondered myself in the early days, until I saw the restaurant sheet. How many people bothered to check?
I don't know but I doubt 9 people manage to drink so many bottles in one hour.
Drinking wine before going to a restaurant and have dinner suggests wine is appreciated.

Offline Carana

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 06:52:50 PM »
I don't know but I doubt 9 people manage to drink so many bottles in one hour.
Drinking wine before going to a restaurant and have dinner suggests wine is appreciated.

Quite possibly. But how did this "interpretation" of this restaurant slip end up in the Sol as indicating that the entire consumption only concerned the T9?

Online Eleanor

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
I hardly believe that I am reading this.  14 bottles of wine when we already know that this is not true.  It was the entire consumption of every table in that restaurant on that evening.  Why do this when it is patently untrue?

The PJ have already discredited themselves, sorry to say.  Or at least that corrupt little pocket has.  But in the end it doesn't really matter.  Some idiot allowed Goncalo Amaral to run that investigation when he was patently incapable and not even trustworthy.  What happened after that was ultimately a forgone conclusion.
The entire company of The PJ needs to take a long and hard look at what they thought they were doing.

AnneGuedes

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
Quite possibly. But how did this "interpretation" of this restaurant slip end up in the Sol as indicating that the entire consumption only concerned the T9?

I don't know, do you ?

Redblossom

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »

It seems 14 bottles is excessive for that night seeing as their night out was disturbed at 10 pm, however, a few facts

- a few waiters have said theyhad 8-9 an evening
- tourists do start drinking before their meals so an hour to consume anything is not correct
- Danny Collins wrote the book Vanished, he spoke to the staff, and was told thatnight it was 12 bottles, he also mentioned as the night wore on their checks became more sporadic
- you dont know if that restaraunt sheet was not a photocopy with just their consumption on it instead of the whole evenings consumption by everysingle guest that night
- Gerry himself  has stated they each drank more or less a bottle each every night
- That would put ALL  the other diners  together,  drinking hardly if the 14 bottle count on May 3rd sheet was for everyone
- D Payne  told Gerry or Kate  IIRC that it had been a great day that day, perhaps they all, nearing the end of the hols decided to have a ball!

Anyway, seems to have gone totally off topic here
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:26:36 PM by Redblossom »

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 08:44:59 PM »
It seems 14 bottles is excessive for that night seeing as their night out was disturbed at 10 pm, however, a few facts

- a few waiters have said theyhad 8-9 an evening
- tourists do start drinking before their meals so an hour to consume anything is not correct
- Danny Collins wrote the book Vanished, he spoke to the staff, and was told thatnight it was 12 bottles, he also mentioned as the night wore on their checks became more sporadic
- you dont know if that restaraunt sheet was not a photocopy with just their consumption on it instead of the whole evenings consumption by everysingle guest that night
- Gerry himself  has stated they each drank more or less a bottle each every night
- That would put ALL  the other diners  together,  drinking hardly if the 14 bottle count on May 3rd sheet was for everyone
- D Payne  told Gerry or Kate  IIRC that it had been a great day that day, perhaps they all, nearing the end of the hols decided to have a ball!

Ok so they were totally pissed, absolutely legless,
but still managed to commit the perfect crime and not leave the tiniest piece of evidence....no...still doesn't make any sense

Redblossom

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2013, 08:57:16 PM »
Ok so they were totally pissed, absolutely legless,
but still managed to commit the perfect crime and not leave the tiniest piece of evidence....no...still doesn't make any sense

Very little does in this case, if  it did we, the PJ, LP, SY and umpteen others wouldnt be here, ergo there is something very very wrong with this case
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 09:31:23 PM by Redblossom »

Offline sadie

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2013, 11:58:29 PM »

- a few waiters have said they had 8-9 an evening
- Danny Collins wrote the book Vanished, he spoke to the staff, and was told that night it was 12 bottles, he also mentioned as the night wore on their checks became more sporadic
- you don't know if that restaurant sheet was not a photocopy with just their consumption on it instead of the whole evenings consumption by every single guest that night

Why do you promote 14 bottles that night, when you know it is totally untrue?  You keep pushing incorrect figures, putting out disinformation.

Why do you keep saying they consumed over an hour, when you know it was over an hour and a half.  Why tell lies?

The far fewer bottles of wine they had on the table still had wine in them at 10pm.  I have forgotten the number of bottles but it was less than the number of people and the bottles were still in use.  Why exaggerate.  It is totally untrue what you are saying.

.....moderated .....

Offline Mr Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2013, 12:59:42 AM »
Please keep to topic guys.

Offline Matthew Wyse

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 01:25:45 AM »
Felicia Cabrita obviously got her facts muddled up as the evening meal only lasted for about a hour and a half since all but one left the table immediately Kate raised the alarm.  I don't believe they got through 6 bottles let alone 14.
Most people suspect the truth but few are able to admit it.

Offline insider

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2013, 01:39:30 AM »
Felicia Cabrita obviously got her facts muddled up as the evening meal only lasted for about a hour and a half since all but one left the table immediately Kate raised the alarm.  I don't believe they got through 6 bottles let alone 14.
If what she claimed was true they would have all been pissed by the time the alarm was raised.
Liars come in all shapes and sizes. No profession is without them.

Offline Carana

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2013, 07:03:54 AM »
Why would those scribbles relate solely to the T9? Wine was included with the meal - there was no reason to keep tabs on individual consumption of wine or water. If there had been, there would have been space reserved to that effect by each table of guests. The restaurant would, however, need an overall tally for restaurant management purposes.

IFF 8 bottles of red and 6 of white had been consumed solely by the T9, then they'd also managed to consume 1.5 litres of water per person as well. All in the space of 1.5 hours (under that for those who arrived later).