Author Topic: The Jane Tanner surveillance of Robert Murat episode.  (Read 43155 times)

Offline Albertini

Re: The Jane Tanner surveillance of Robert Murat episode.
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »
so I didn’t really, but I didn’t even recognise it as the person I’d been talking to five minutes before, well, you know, half an hour before,

That's the key bit, isn't it?

They met a man en route to the van JT was (later) sure was definitely Robert Murat.

But when it came to the "sighting" she didn't even recognise him as the man she was speaking to minutes before ...

In order to understand how and when Tanner identified Murat you need to understand the difference between present and past tense in relation to the rogatory interviews.

That tells you all you need to know, if of course, you want to see it.

Offline Albertini

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2013, 12:06:38 AM »
Just another forum myth Angelo ... and encouraged by Amaral.  Pls dont forget that Amaral is a convicted liar.

Can you find anything in the files, Angelo, that says what you are saying? 

Nah!

Except Tanner admits in happened in here Rogatory interview.

There was no record of the episode in any of the files but we do know from Janey's words that at one point she thought it was him.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2013, 07:08:09 AM »
Jane Tanner talking about Robert Murat:

At what point in your opinion did Ms Tanner think it was Murat?

By saying she thought it was she is clearly saying at some point she did identify Murat.

When do you think that was?

That was later in the rogatory interview, and related to whether Murat was seen around the Ocean Club complex on the night of the 3rd (when the GNR were there).   A couple of the other Tapas 7 thought they had seen him.

It does not relate to the Bob Small / Refrigerated Van / was Murat the man seen carrying the child.  Tanner says it wasn't. 

Two quite separate issues.

Offline sadie

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2013, 08:18:46 AM »
In order to understand how and when Tanner identified Murat you need to understand the difference between present and past tense in relation to the rogatory interviews.

That tells you all you need to know, if of course, you want to see it.
What you are saying doesn't make sense to me Albertini

On the other hand what ferryman said does

so I didn't really, but I didn't even recognise it as the person I'd been talking to five minutes before, well, you know, half an hour before,

That's the key bit, isn't it?

They met a man en route to the van JT was (later) sure was definitely Robert Murat.

But when it came to the "sighting" she didn't even recognise him as the man she was speaking to minutes before ...

Offline Albertini

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »
That was later in the rogatory interview, and related to whether Murat was seen around the Ocean Club complex on the night of the 3rd (when the GNR were there).   A couple of the other Tapas 7 thought they had seen him.

It does not relate to the Bob Small / Refrigerated Van / was Murat the man seen carrying the child.  Tanner says it wasn't. 

Nope, because if you read the preceding passage she deals with the sighting AND the van episode in terms of seeing him on the way to do it:

4078    “Yes, yes go on”.
Reply    “Erm well I think it’s when I’d done the, well I did the surveillance and then the next day after that, I think it came on Sky News about whether they were searching, what the MURAT’s house, so that’s Rachel sort of came running down at that point and sort of said, have you seen this blah, blah and at this point, nobody knew that I’d done the surveillance cos the Portuguese Police were very adamant that I shouldn’t tell anybody and I didn’t tell anybody for days actually, I didn’t even tell them then that it was actually, that I’d done it, I mean it was a couple of days afterwards.  So Rachel came down and sort of said, oh I saw him blah, blah, blah and then I think Russell, I can’t remember who else but then somebody else said oh they, they saw him and etc., so at that point it was, I rang Bob SMALL cos I’d got, I’d got his number from the day before for them and you know, they sort of, you know to say, oh is this, is this relevant and also I wanted to tell him that I’d seen him on the way to the doing the surveillance as well yeah just for that, so I think it’s just to make the point really that I think at that point, they didn’t know that Robert MURAT said he wasn’t there on the night”.
4078    “Right”.
Reply    “You know, or said yeah, had said that he wasn’t there on the night, so you know was immediately, I think it was immediately, I’m not trying to push anything onto Robert MURAT’s door, cos as I say I don’t think it was him that I saw”.
4078    “No”.
Reply    “But I just thought it was”.

The important thing is that at one point she did think Murat was "him".

Offline sadie

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
BUMPED

Jean Pierres post.  It is more important than mine

Quote from: Albertini on Today at 12:01:52 AM
Jane Tanner talking about Robert Murat:

At what point in your opinion did Ms Tanner think it was Murat?

By saying she thought it was she is clearly saying at some point she did identify Murat.

When do you think that was?

Offline Benice

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2013, 08:57:36 AM »
Nope, because if you read the preceding passage she deals with the sighting AND the van episode in terms of seeing him on the way to do it:

Reply    “Erm well I think it’s when I’d done the, well I did the surveillance and then the next day after that, I think it came on Sky News about whether they were searching, what the MURAT’s house, so that’s Rachel sort of came running down at that point and sort of said, have you seen this blah, blah and at this point, nobody knew that I’d done the surveillance cos the Portuguese Police were very adamant that I shouldn’t tell anybody and I didn’t tell anybody for days actually, I didn’t even tell them then that it was actually, that I’d done it, I mean it was a couple of days afterwards.  So Rachel came down and sort of said, oh I saw him blah, blah, blah and then I think Russell, I can’t remember who else but then somebody else said oh they, they saw him and etc., so at that point it was, I rang Bob SMALL cos I’d got, I’d got his number from the day before for them and you know, they sort of, you know to say, oh is this, is this relevant and also I wanted to tell him that I’d seen him on the way to the doing the surveillance as well yeah just for that, so I think it’s just to make the point really that I think at that point, they didn’t know that Robert MURAT said he wasn’t there on the night”.
4078    “Right”.
Reply    “You know, or said yeah, had said that he wasn’t there on the night, so you know was immediately, I think it was immediately, I’m not trying to push anything onto Robert MURAT’s door, cos as I say I don’t think it was him that I saw”.
4078    “No”.

They weren't talking about the surveillance which JT did.   They'd moved on from that. It's apparent that the police officer questioning her didn't think JT was admitting that she thought Murat was the man in the identity parade - as surely she would have stopped at that point and questioned JT about it - as JT would have effectively been contradicting her previous statement that she did NOT positively identify Murat.       Nothing lilke that happened because JT was talking about a completely different event.

IMO she is saying that although she didn't see Murat herself on the night of the 3rd, FP and the others did think THEY had seen him and because none of them knew at that point that he was going to deny being there at all, she assumed it WAS him they saw.  Hence ''I just thought it was'' (him).

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Albertini

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »
They weren't talking about the surveillance which JT did.   They'd moved on from that. It's apparent that the police officer questioning her didn't think JT was admitting that she thought Murat was the man in the identity parade - as surely she would have stopped at that point and questioned JT about it - as JT would have effectively been contradicting her previous statement that she did NOT positively identify Murat.       Nothing lilke that happened because JT was talking about a completely different event.

IMO she is saying that although she didn't see Murat herself on the night of the 3rd, FP and the others did think THEY had seen him and because none of them knew at that point that he was going to deny being there at all, she assumed it WAS him they saw.  Hence ''I just thought it was'' (him).

No she was talking about afterwards and on the way to the van as well. Here's the relevant bit:

and also I wanted to tell him that I’d seen him on the way to the doing the surveillance as well yeah just for that, so I think it’s just to make the point really

No she is saying "I" not "we" or they but "I".

She is saying, and it is clear as day, that at a point SHE (i.e. Jane Tanner) thought Murat was "him".

Can you point out where she categorically states that she didn't think it was Murat when she was in the van that night?

Because i can't see that she says that.

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »
" So Rachel came down and sort of said, oh I saw him blah, blah, blah and then I think Russell, I can’t remember who else but then somebody else said oh they, they saw him and etc., so at that point it was, I rang Bob SMALL cos I’d got, I’d got his number from the day before for them and you know, they sort of, you know to say, oh is this, is this relevant and also I wanted to tell him that I’d seen him on the way to the doing the surveillance as well yeah just for that, so I think it’s just to make the point really that I think at that point, they didn’t know that Robert MURAT said he wasn’t there on the night”."

They were talking about whether Murat was at the complex on the night in question.  Rachel and Russell thought they had seen him.

She HAD seen him while the PJ were trying to their rather inept "surveillance" - they bumped into him.

But Tanner is very emphatic in both her initial interview, and in the subsequent rogatory interview, that Robert Murat was NOT the man she saw carrying the child.

Now you can either accept that, Albertini, or not.  It really makes absolutely no difference either way.

Edited to add an extract from Tanners Rogatory Interview (snipped from a larger body of work):

"And, erm, then Bob drove me up to where, erm, the rest of the team were to do the surveillance.  Erm, so I went off in the back of this like refrigerated, well it was pretending to be a refrigerated, erm, van and took it round to the point on the road and obviously, in hindsight now, I realise they were probably calling Robert MURAT to try and get him to walk across, across the top of the road so that, you know, I could see.  But it was a bit odd because there was a car, where we were parked there was a car that moved just at that point that he appeared and then two other people walked by, so I didn’t really, but I didn’t even recognise it as the person I’d been talking to five minutes before, well, you know, half an hour before, so.  Erm, and then, erm, then went, I think because it has gone a bit wrong because this car had been there and then tried to set it up elsewhere, but again I couldn’t really see, I couldn’t really see that well and, you know, it didn’t look, it didn’t jog, jog any memories”.
4078    “Now you are left with that mental image in your head about the man carrying the child”.
Reply    “Umm”.
4078    “And you said, you described his hair quite well.  Having seen MURAT then and obviously in the papers since, could you link the two of those?”
Reply    “I don’t think so.  I mean, I don’t, phew, I don’t, I don’t think it, no, there doesn’t, there’s no, but then the person I see in the paper doesn’t really look like my recollection of the person I met on the way to meet Bob SMALL.  It’s really annoying because normally I would have probably taken more notice but I was so worried about what I was going to do, because I didn’t know at this point at all, I didn’t really take any notice, but I think it was too short and I remember it being, being long into the neck and not so.  Again, I don’t really, when I saw Robert MURAT outside his house he looked quite little to me, but then when you see him on the telly he seems quite bit, so I can’t, again, I don’t think the build, the build was right, I don’t”.
4078    “So you don’t feel, in your heart of hearts”.
Reply    “No”.
4078    “You don’t feel it was the same person?”
Reply    “No, I don’t, no”."
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:34:52 AM by Jean-Pierre »

Offline Albertini

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:46:52 AM »
" So Rachel came down and sort of said, oh I saw him blah, blah, blah and then I think Russell, I can’t remember who else but then somebody else said oh they, they saw him and etc., so at that point it was, I rang Bob SMALL cos I’d got, I’d got his number from the day before for them and you know, they sort of, you know to say, oh is this, is this relevant and also I wanted to tell him that I’d seen him on the way to the doing the surveillance as well yeah just for that, so I think it’s just to make the point really that I think at that point, they didn’t know that Robert MURAT said he wasn’t there on the night”."

They were talking about whether Murat was at the complex on the night in question.  Rachel and Russell thought they had seen him.

She HAD seen him while the PJ were trying to their rather inept "surveillance" - they bumped into him.

But Tanner is very emphatic in both her initial interview, and in the subsequent rogatory interview, that Robert Murat was NOT the man she saw carrying the child.

Now you can either accept that, Albertini, or not.  It really makes absolutely no difference either way.

She is talking about the others seeing him and also about rinigng Bob Small about what she saw on the way to the surveillance van. She is talking about both episodes and ends it by saying she (not the others) "thought it was" (him)

Jane Tanner's initial interview makes no mention of Murat.

Edited to add an extract from Tanners Rogatory Interview (snipped from a larger body of work):

"And, erm, then Bob drove me up to where, erm, the rest of the team were to do the surveillance.  Erm, so I went off in the back of this like refrigerated, well it was pretending to be a refrigerated, erm, van and took it round to the point on the road and obviously, in hindsight now, I realise they were probably calling Robert MURAT to try and get him to walk across, across the top of the road so that, you know, I could see.  But it was a bit odd because there was a car, where we were parked there was a car that moved just at that point that he appeared and then two other people walked by, so I didn’t really, but I didn’t even recognise it as the person I’d been talking to five minutes before, well, you know, half an hour before, so.  Erm, and then, erm, then went, I think because it has gone a bit wrong because this car had been there and then tried to set it up elsewhere, but again I couldn’t really see, I couldn’t really see that well and, you know, it didn’t look, it didn’t jog, jog any memories”.
4078    “Now you are left with that mental image in your head about the man carrying the child”.
Reply    “Umm”.
4078    “And you said, you described his hair quite well.  Having seen MURAT then and obviously in the papers since, could you link the two of those?”
Reply    “I don’t think so.  I mean, I don’t, phew, I don’t, I don’t think it, no, there doesn’t, there’s no, but then the person I see in the paper doesn’t really look like my recollection of the person I met on the way to meet Bob SMALL.  It’s really annoying because normally I would have probably taken more notice but I was so worried about what I was going to do, because I didn’t know at this point at all, I didn’t really take any notice, but I think it was too short and I remember it being, being long into the neck and not so.  Again, I don’t really, when I saw Robert MURAT outside his house he looked quite little to me, but then when you see him on the telly he seems quite bit, so I can’t, again, I don’t think the build, the build was right, I don’t”.
4078    “So you don’t feel, in your heart of hearts”.
Reply    “No”.
Reply    “No, I don’t, no”."

Jane Tanner is talking about what she felt when she was giving the rogatory interview NOT what she felt on the night hence the use of present instead of past tense.

So she says:

I don’t think so.  I mean, I don’t, phew, I don’t, I don’t think it, no

Instead of:

I didn't think so.  I mean, didn't, phew, didn't, didn't think it, no

And:

Reply    “No, I don’t, no”."[/b]

Instead of

Reply    “No, I didn't, no”."[/b]

So what she is saying is that as she gives that statement in 2008 she does not think it was Murat, which is not the same as saying she didn't think it was him back in 2007 on that night.

Offline Albertini

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »

Nope because it wasn't a Rogatory question.

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:29 AM »

The UK police were only allowed to ask what they had been instructed to by the Portuguese police. They were not allowed to interrogate any of the friends or build on any of their answers.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline faithlilly

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 10:01:36 AM »

4078    “Right”.
4078    “No”.

As an aside, if Tanner had told the rest of her friends about the van business, how did they know to ask her, specifically, for Bob Small's telephone number ? Why would they think she would know it ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Jean-Pierre

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
She is talking about the others seeing him and also about rinigng Bob Small about what she saw on the way to the surveillance van. She is talking about both episodes and ends it by saying she (not the others) "thought it was" (him)

Jane Tanner's initial interview makes no mention of Murat.

Jane Tanner is talking about what she felt when she was giving the rogatory interview NOT what she felt on the night hence the use of present instead of past tense.

So she says:

Instead of:

And:

Instead of

So what she is saying is that as she gives that statement in 2008 she does not think it was Murat, which is not the same as saying she didn't think it was him back in 2007 on that night.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear- are you REALLY arguing semantics over this rogatory interview?

The following will give you a bit of a clue:

Jane Tanner's rogatory interview, which took place on 08 April 2008, sourced from Duarte Levy

Jane Tanner - Record Of Tape Recorded Interview I

Jane Tanner - Record Of Tape Recorded Interview I Duarte Levy Wordpress

Posted by Duarte Levy
January 28, 2009 • 1:18 AM

If you are happy to do that, then I am afraid you are on your own  8)--)) @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(* @)(++(*

AnneGuedes

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

So she says:

Instead of:

And:

Instead of

Syntax leaves no doubt here. I wonder why English speakers (as mother language) don't see that.