Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535458 times)

Offline Eleanor

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1260 on: April 22, 2016, 04:45:20 PM »
I would have thought that was exactly the point. He has had his assets frozen so has no control over paying whatever the court decrees.

So you think that Amaral would refuse if he could?  What a very strange world in which some of you live.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1261 on: April 22, 2016, 04:59:50 PM »
So you think that Amaral would refuse if he could?  What a very strange world in which some of you live.

I'm not saying he would, merely that he doesn't have the option.
For a couple , for whom allegedly "it's not about the money", it struck me as a pretty vindictive action have all his assets frozen.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1262 on: April 22, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
For a couple , for whom allegedly "it's not about the money", it struck me as a pretty vindictive action have all his assets frozen.

The Portuguese Court froze his assets.  Amaral doesn't have a very good record for paying his debts.  As The Inland Revenue, a Couple of Banks and his Brother could tell you.
That is on his own head.

ferryman

« Reply #1263 on: April 22, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »

Vindictive?

Amaral has a slippery record where payment of debts is concerned.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1264 on: April 22, 2016, 05:12:03 PM »
The Portuguese Court froze his assets.  Amaral doesn't have a very good record for paying his debts.  As The Inland Revenue, a Couple of Banks and his Brother could tell you.
That is on his own head.
Of course they did, but I have no doubt that Isabel pressed hard for it   8(>((
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline jassi

« Reply #1265 on: April 22, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
Vindictive?

Amaral has a slippery record where payment of debts is concerned.

I don't usually ask, but how about a cite  8)-)))

Or maybe not -

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1266 on: April 22, 2016, 05:18:25 PM »
Given that most people on this site do not read Portuguese from what source is all this information on Sr Amarals credit history available ?
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1267 on: April 22, 2016, 05:33:43 PM »
I missed a word Eleanor, 'take'.

Big deal.

Never end a sentence with, "For."

stephen25000

« Reply #1268 on: April 22, 2016, 05:35:03 PM »
Never end a sentence with, "For."

It was 'for' I believe.

Don't worry Eleanor I will correct your grammar when needed.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1269 on: April 22, 2016, 05:36:50 PM »
We know your history dave of your predictions and your lack of acumen in the sciences and maths.

The problem you said no one had solved since you were 15, I did in about 5 seconds.

Try to stop boasting or you will get caught out again.

All too easily.

That sure is a tempting target, but out of respect for my dad I pass. He told me shooting ducks in a barrel was unsporting  8(0(*
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1270 on: April 22, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
It was 'for' I believe.

Don't worry Eleanor I will correct your grammar when needed.

Thanks for the warning.

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1271 on: April 22, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »
Would you pay up without question in the same situation?

They say the guy has hindered the search for their missing daughter. I disagree on that part but if thats what they think then why on earth would they hand over a considerable chunk of money, money that they have set aside apparently for the search for their missing daughter...pretty much TO the person they were trying to sue to begin with?

Nah, I'm nearly certain they will drag their heels. They may be MADE to pay up eventually but I cannot see them voluntarily doing so. Not in a million years. And I don't think they should be blamed for that, if it happens either.

If Mr Amaral decides to proceed with his threat to sue the McCanns, it is a different ball game.

He doesn't just present an invoice and the money is put into his pocket.

The onus will be on him to prove his allegation with accounts of exactly what income he has lost:  I would imagine that would be the procedure even for a Portuguese court.

I don't know how they will quantify losses for his legal fees as these have been covered by gifts sent to an account set up for that purpose.
That will take a lot of close scrutiny before an assessment can be made.

I don't know how his earnings from television appearances ~ particularly those dealing with the McCann case ~ will be quantified.

If he is claiming financial loss ... the onus will be on him to prove that claim ... I for one would find that prospect almost as interesting as Pandora found the box which she opened.
The question is in retrospect did she regret doing that?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:50:36 PM by Brietta »
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

« Reply #1272 on: April 22, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
If Mr Amaral decides to proceed with his threat to sue the McCanns, it is a different ball game.

He doesn't just present an invoice and the money is put into his pocket.

The onus will be on him to prove his allegation with accounts of exactly what income he has lost:  I would imagine that would be the procedure even for a Portuguese court.

I don't know how they will quantify losses for his legal fees as these have been covered by gifts sent to an account set up for that purpose.
That will take a lot of close scrutiny before an assessment can be made.

I don't know how his earnings from television appearances ~ particularly those dealing with the McCann case ~ will be quantified.

If he is claiming financial loss ... the onus will be on him to prove that claim ... I for one would find that prospect almost as interesting as Pandora found the box which she opened.
The question is in retrospect did she regret doing that?

I feel he would be foolish to pursue the McCanns in a UK court, tempting as it may be, unless he was bankrolled by a disgruntled newspaper, bent on revenge.

Or maybe not -

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1273 on: April 22, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »
I feel he would be foolish to pursue the McCanns in a UK court, tempting as it may be, unless he was bankrolled by a disgruntled newspaper, bent on revenge.

Of course he would not venture into a UK jurisdiction ... and why should he?

If he sues the McCann's for loss of earnings it will be in a Portuguese court ... but he will be expected to prove exactly how much the alleged losses are ... which will require transparency of his finances over the period for which he is making the claim.

He may be relaxed about that ... on the other hand he may not ... and there is also the possibility to be considered ... that he may not necessarily win any action he takes against the McCanns.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1274 on: April 22, 2016, 06:51:28 PM »
Of course he would not venture into a UK jurisdiction ... and why should he?

If he sues the McCann's for loss of earnings it will be in a Portuguese court ... but he will be expected to prove exactly how much the alleged losses are ... which will require transparency of his finances over the period for which he is making the claim.

He may be relaxed about that ... on the other hand he may not ... and there is also the possibility to be considered ... that he may not necessarily win any action he takes against the McCanns.

It might be interesting to know how much Amaral spent before The Court put paid to his antics.