Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535363 times)

ferryman

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1380 on: April 23, 2016, 07:54:13 AM »
I predict Isabel Duarte will drive a coach-and-horses through this (latest) judgement.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1381 on: April 23, 2016, 07:54:36 AM »
The statements were attached to a memo dated 24th October. They were made to Leicestershire Police on 16th May. The memo says;

As requested, appended are the statements of Arul and Katherina Gaspar.
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/KATERINA-PAYNE-INCIDENT.htm

The PJ knew about them before 24th October or they wouldn't have been able to ask for them.

Of course they did.

ferryman

« Reply #1382 on: April 23, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »
Of course they did.

About them, yes.

But not about their content.

They hadn't seen the statement.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1383 on: April 23, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »
About them, yes.

But not about their content.

They hadn't seen the statement.

Are you sure about that?

ferryman

« Reply #1384 on: April 23, 2016, 08:04:39 AM »
Are you sure about that?

Amaral's book hit the shops within days of the archiving.

Before that, there will have contracts signed with publishers, proof-reading of manuscripts and heaven knows what else.

Amaral may have avoided breaching secrecy in the timing of the books reaching the shops, but in preparing it for publication, he sure-as-hell breached secrecy.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:14:59 AM by John »

stephen25000

« Reply #1385 on: April 23, 2016, 08:17:34 AM »
I predict Isabel Duarte will drive a coach-and-horses through this (latest) judgement.

I predict she will fail miserably and they will be very fortunate to get a hearing, since the Supreme Court in Portugal does not usually deal with civil cases.

stephen25000

« Reply #1386 on: April 23, 2016, 08:19:27 AM »
Amaral's book hit the shops within days of the archiving.

Before that, there will have contracts signed with publishers, proof-reading of manuscripts and heaven knows what else.

Amaral may have avoided breaching secrecy in the timing of the books reaching the shops, but in preparing it for publication, he sure-as-hell breached secrecy.

The material was already in the public arena.

Try reading Tuesdays judgement and understand it.

stephen25000

« Reply #1387 on: April 23, 2016, 08:22:31 AM »
I would ask you to consider who had the more ostentatious lifestyle at the time proceedings were issued before mocking my post.

You should ask that of the mccanns who were both working prior to the holiday in Portugal, and rapidly got into financial problems, resulting in being bailed out by the fund and some of their backers.

Now of course, only one of them works.  &%+((£

ferryman

« Reply #1388 on: April 23, 2016, 08:22:42 AM »
The judge who made the judgement Amaral appealed was incredibly amiss if she missed something as glaringly obvious (in Portuguese law) as that Amaral did not breach laws of secrecy (in writing his book) which (if he had, indeed, avoided that trap) would result in an effective annulment of the usual rules of libel.

In preparing the book for publication, Amaral assuredly breached judicial secrecy.

stephen25000

« Reply #1389 on: April 23, 2016, 08:24:53 AM »
The judge who made the judgement Amaral appealed was incredibly amiss if she missed something as glaringly obvious (in Portuguese law) as that Amaral did not breach laws of secrecy (in writing his book) which (if he had, indeed, avoided that trap) would result in an effective annulment of the usual rules of libel.

In preparing the book for publication, Amaral assuredly breached judicial secrecy.

Read the judgement.

It would help.

This concerted effort to put a gloss on Tuesdays judgement, really won't wash.

Offline carlymichelle

« Reply #1390 on: April 23, 2016, 08:26:18 AM »
Read the judgement.

It would help.

its called  DENIAL

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1391 on: April 23, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »
I think Amaral had The Gaspar Statements long before he was sacked, but what with all the mess he left behind, this would be impossible to prove.

Offline John

« Reply #1392 on: April 23, 2016, 08:26:33 AM »
I would offer a word of caution to the McCanns given that the Portuguese judicial hierarchy appear to be on the side of free speech and at war with any attempt to stiffle it.   Isabel Duarte will go home with her fee regardless of the coutcomes, win or lose.  The only thing she might lose in taking this farcical legal action any further is a tad of credibility but the McCanns are facing ruin. 

Let's not underestimate the damage that this latest ruling has now caused to the parents and the potential damage which a failed application to the Supreme Court could do to them.  I fear they could be being badly advised as happened previously and we all know how that ended.

I have always said that they should settle this with Amaral out of court and I still hold to that.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:29:02 AM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1393 on: April 23, 2016, 08:26:46 AM »
Read the judgement.

It would help.

it's the next judgement that counts

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1394 on: April 23, 2016, 08:28:32 AM »

Why do you insist on the breach of judicial secrecy? That ship sailed ages ago.