Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535377 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1605 on: April 23, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »
Well that proposition was unceremoniously booted out of court  April 2015.

the court said it hadnt been proved....not that it wasnt true...massive difference

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1606 on: April 23, 2016, 07:17:22 PM »
#then it may well go to Europe

Then again it may well not.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1607 on: April 23, 2016, 07:18:13 PM »
You are claiming it is unfair, which is more than mere disappointment.

If Amaral had lost, I wouldn't have been claiming it was unfair, even though I would have been mildly disappointed.

I think the learned judges' decision was extraordinary and bizarre and as a result doubt that the McCanns would ever have a fair hearing in Portugal.

However it has long been predicted that the press have been awaiting a judgement in this case to start a media fest featuring the main players.  Perhaps it was thought this would be a rerun of the calumnies of 2007 many of which are featured in Mr Amaral's book ~ but which they have had time to scrutinise and make comparisons with reality ~ so I think there will be more reasoned reporting.

I think we are going to see open season on everyone involved in this case ... and there is nothing more to be said about the McCanns that hasn't been said already ... so who does that leave?
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1608 on: April 23, 2016, 07:18:40 PM »
Then again it may well not.

then again the supreme court may rule in the McCanns favour

Offline jassi

« Reply #1609 on: April 23, 2016, 07:21:12 PM »
I think the learned judges' decision was extraordinary and bizarre and as a result doubt that the McCanns would ever have a fair hearing in Portugal.

However it has long been predicted that the press have been awaiting a judgement in this case to start a media fest featuring the main players.  Perhaps it was thought this would be a rerun of the calumnies of 2007 many of which are featured in Mr Amaral's book ~ but which they have had time to scrutinise and make comparisons with reality ~ so I think there will be more reasoned reporting.

I think we are going to see open season on everyone involved in this case ... and there is nothing more to be said about the McCanns that hasn't been said already ... so who does that leave?

Will anybody care?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1610 on: April 23, 2016, 07:21:51 PM »

unfortunately sun headlines have  a habit of promising a lot but delivering little so we will have to wait and see

stephen25000

« Reply #1611 on: April 23, 2016, 07:24:39 PM »

Of course you do Brietta.

You back the mccanns 100%.

Tell me , have you ever criticized them for what they did in Portugal ?

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1612 on: April 23, 2016, 07:29:40 PM »
things must be bad..resorting to insults

Bad?
The McCanns have had 60% booted out for all time and 40% booted out by the Appeal Court with the comment the claim was unfounded which may make appeal difficult. All court costs awarded against the McCanns, a shedful of bad publicity for them........yeah I'd say things were bad  ?{)(**
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1613 on: April 23, 2016, 07:31:12 PM »
Keeping up my Sesame Street simile;
this weeks word is traduce  8(>((

stephen25000

« Reply #1614 on: April 23, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
It's looking like fair game to me.  If this is the right of Amaral then so shall it be for others.  Silly man, he can't have it both ways.
If he can traduce others by right of Portuguese Law, then what on earth did he expect?

For every action there will be a reaction.

and of course Eleanor, every time recently, the mccanns have a story in the press, it comes back at them.

Justice will be served.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1615 on: April 23, 2016, 07:35:29 PM »
Bad?
The McCanns have had 60% booted out for all time and 40% booted out by the Appeal Court with the comment the claim was unfounded which may make appeal difficult. All court costs awarded against the McCanns, a shedful of bad publicity for them........yeah I'd say things were bad  ?{)(**

#things are bad for the mccanns because they have lost their daughter...everything else is of little significance

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1616 on: April 23, 2016, 07:35:44 PM »
the court said it hadnt been proved....not that it wasnt true...massive difference

If you read my post carefully I made no reference to whether it was true.
True or false the original judge booted out 60% of the claim and divvied up the court costs 60/40 in favour of the defendants. That cannot be denied it's in the judgement.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1617 on: April 23, 2016, 07:36:07 PM »
For every action there will be a reaction.

and of course Eleanor, every time recently, the mccanns have a story in the press, it comes back at them.

Justice will be served.

i believe it will

Offline Brietta

« Reply #1618 on: April 23, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »
Exactly the point I am making.
Transpose this trial into the UK and the equivalent is it is now being referred to The House of Lords in effect. How many people on here know enough about UK law to have an informed debate about the finer points of law which would be discussed by the senior advocates in the land on which the case's outcome would turn ?
So extending that argument how many on here know enough about Romanesque law as applied in Portugal to have an informed debate if in Portugal it needs to be ruled on by their top advocates ?
Puerile answers like the Portuguese are tossers and don't know what they are doing are indicative of how the maker of such comments would be incapable of making a valid judgement on much.

In Britain ~ I include Scottish Law in this ~ there are very strict rules about what can and what cannot be reported and when it is allowed to be reported.  This is all inclusive.

Any any breach of this is contempt of court and results in the imposition of severe penalties.

Portugal has "strict secrecy laws" and ... ... ?

One doesn't require to be expert in the finer points of law here and in Portugal to understand the basics.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1619 on: April 23, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »
If you read my post carefully I made no reference to whether it was true.
True or false the original judge booted out 60% of the claim and divvied up the court costs 60/40 in favour of the defendants. That cannot be denied it's in the judgement.

if you read my post carefully you will see I didn't say you made any reference either way....I was clarifying the courts ruling