Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535510 times)

Offline carlymichelle

Could this have anything to do with the pointless 'Police hope to find Madeleine alive' story? Are we going to see 'McCanns lose libel trial appeal' stories next?  &%+((£

@)(++(* and pigs might  fly

Offline Brietta

Where are those who insisted that the lower court judge's decision was watertight and that there was no way that GA as well as the others who appealed could win?

I'm still here: I was under the impression that as a modern democracy Portuguese judges would consider there was value in upholding Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
If Mr Amaral has indeed won his appeal it would appear I have been wrong in that assumption.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online Eleanor

This Judgement, if true, has nothing to do with any culpability of The McCanns.  It will be simply Portuguese Law on The Freedom of Speech.

So let's not get precious about who has the right to Libel.  No one has that right.

Offline John

I'm still here: I was under the impression that as a modern democracy Portuguese judges would consider there was value in upholding Article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights.
If Mr Amaral has indeed won his appeal it would appear I have been wrong in that assumption.

There is no doubt about the decision, the appeal court has revoked the judgement of the lower court and absolved the appellant of any costs claimed by the plaintiffs.  Amaral has now a case for seeking damages. This could prove to be extremely costly for the McCanns.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 04:45:32 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline misty

Could this have anything to do with the pointless 'Police hope to find Madeleine alive' story? Are we going to see 'McCanns lose libel trial appeal' stories next?  &%+((£

Why are stories about hope pointless?
Just today, police have arrested someone in connection with the unsolved murder of Rikki Neave more than 20 years ago, which may well bring relief to his family.

Offline carlymichelle

There is no doubt about the decision, the appeal court has revoked the judgement of the lower court and absolved the appellant of any costs claimed by the plaintiffs.  Amaral has now a case for seeking damages.

i hope he does   john   people have  said terrible things about him online and all he did was do his  job he also lost his house  etc didnt he?

Offline Mr Gray

There is no doubt about the decision, the appeal court has revoked the judgement of the lower court and absolved the appellant of any costs claimed by the plaintiffs.  Amaral has now a case for seeking damages. This could prove to be extremely costly for the McCanns.

then portuguese justice is a disgrace...it cannot be right to accuse people of such crimes and lie about the evidence collected

Offline Mr Gray

#damages for what exactly

Offline slartibartfast

Why?  Libellous posts about the McCanns have been permitted on here ever since I've posted.

Please show one?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline carlymichelle

#damages for what exactly

liabel  people like  yourself  writing untrue stuff about him online

Offline Alice Purjorick

Why? did someone not receive a fair trial then?
I recall about a twelve month ago the trial was viewed as fair and the Boogah Man received his just desserts (going by posts on here). What has changed ? there has been no new trial just three judges ruling they disagreed with the original trial verdict.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:35:58 PM by Alice Purjorick »
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline carlymichelle

Please show one?

usally they  get whooshclucked if there is any??

Offline Mr Gray

Offline slartibartfast

“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline carlymichelle

Not libel.

nope many people think that is the case....... and they were