Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535225 times)

Offline jassi

No one is vilifying the whole country.  But there is something seriously wrong with the Judiciary.

Perhaps it is your perception of their law which is wrong.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

stephen25000

It's understandable that supporters are disappointed by the verdict. I don't see how it justifies vilifying a whole country, that's all. Just as I see no justification for suggesting those who don't support the McCanns are insane. That's where the desperation is evident; in ridiculous assertions.

Unfortunately, some of the supporters have regularly used that ploy of questioning the sanity of others.

stephen25000

No one is vilifying the whole country.  But there is something seriously wrong with the Judiciary.

That is a matter of opinion.

Clearly you would not say that if the decision had gone in favour of the mccanns.

Perhaps that old adage of that you win some and you lose some, would be appropriate.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:26:30 PM by stephen25000 »

ferryman

After a week of intense work, Harrison presents the results of his study to my coordinating group. Even if we were expecting it, his conclusions confirm our worst fears. The most plausible scenario is the following: there is no doubt that Madeleine is dead, and her body is hidden somewhere in the area around Praia da Luz. He praises the quality of the work carried out by the Portuguese authorities in trying to find the little girl alive. According to him, the time has come to redirect the searches in order to find, this time, a body hidden in the surrounding area.

Goncalo Amaral (Truth of the Lie)

I am currently of the opinion on the available information and statistical datasets that if death has occurred, that it is possible that Madeleine McCann’s body has been disposed into the sea at Praia da Luz. (See my second report entitled “NPIA OP TASK Search Doc Beach and Marine”).

(Penultimate sentence and paragraph of Harrison's third and final report)

Isabel Duarte ought to have to do literally no more than cite the above two paragraphs, one from Amaral's book, the other from the conclusion of Harrison's third and final report, to be sure that her clients ultimately prevail in their action against Amaral.

Oh, and this paragraph from Amaral's book:

The figures quoted in the report he hands over give us the shivers. The crimes, including those of a sexual nature, are committed by the parents in 84% of cases; 96% are perpetrated by friends and relatives. In only 4% of them is the murderer or abductor a total stranger to the victim. In this roundabout way, Mark Harrison points out that the guilty party may be a person close to Madeleine, and even her own parents. From now on, we have to explore this track, especially as the others have proved fruitless.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:45:09 PM by ferryman »

Offline G-Unit

What on earth has come over the UK press? Amaral has gone from being described as 'disgraced' or 'sacked'  to a simple 'former detective' in most reports. Surely they don't forsee another massive libel payout? Or are they bidding to serialise his book when it's published in the UK?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline G-Unit

Oh, sorry. When you referred to Portugal I thought you meant Portugal. Someone was when they linked it to Fascism, I believe.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

You mean like accusing people of being insane or a country of being Fascist? I totally agree, inexcusable!

I think the accusations against the mccanns are inexcusable

Offline jassi

What on earth has come over the UK press? Amaral has gone from being described as 'disgraced' or 'sacked'  to a simple 'former detective' in most reports. Surely they don't forsee another massive libel payout? Or are they bidding to serialise his book when it's published in the UK?

One of them, perhaps the Mirror used the word 'blundering'   8(0(*

Serialisation would be entertaining on several fronts
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

That is a matter of opinion.

Clearly you would not say that if the decision had gone in favour of the mccanns.

Perhaps that old adage of that you win some and you lose some, would be appropriate.

I have a different attitude to The Law than most, Stephen.  To me it should be logical.  This decision was not.

Offline Alice Purjorick

That demonstrates a very narrow minded outlook.

It's like Sesame Street; today's new word is "fascist".
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline jassi

Total rollucks

Let him stamp his tiny foot of defiance. No one is paying any real attention.

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

DO you seriously believe the book could be published in the UK.....you show a complete ignorance of the libel laws here

Offline Brietta

Are you suggesting bias or what?

I am suggesting nothing.  I have made a statement of fact ... you may address that if you wish.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline jassi

DO you seriously believe the book could be published in the UK.....you show a complete ignorance of the libel laws here

I suppose it could be published on line in a foreign edition. That would probably get around any libel law.

Or maybe not -

Offline G-Unit

Anyone who stands in anything short of outright condemnation of this latest decision of the Portuguese courts has fascist tendencies.

You do realise you're not making sense? Who has been trying to stamp out disagreement with their story? Who wants to restrict the freedom of the press? Who has tried to stop people expressing their opinions on the internet? Not the Portuguese Courts. They support freedom of speech and expression which is not a fascist tendency, quite the opposite.

Fascism;
 a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fascism
Result = happy posting.