Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535505 times)

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1290 on: April 22, 2016, 07:41:36 PM »
So it seem that amaral has won this appeal but the McCanns have the right to appeal. Whether the court will allow that appeal is another question. Until then amaral's assets remain frozen...so he is not yet out of the woods.

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1291 on: April 22, 2016, 07:41:44 PM »
Okay.  It's a draw between Davel and Stephen.  Because I said so.

Now, what was The Topic?

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1292 on: April 22, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
Indeed..its just back on the roundabout again isn't it. They pay his costs, he sues unsuccessfully, pays theirs, etc etc. Really its nothi9ng buy another payday for the lawyers. I'm sure he is sick of all the court crap now, and honestly..whatever you believe happened to Madeleine.. the McCanns are still surely racked with guilt and going through hell anyway even without the endless court cases all of this. Time it was all left to rest really.

(court cases, not the search)

A post with some sense but how can it stop

stephen25000

« Reply #1293 on: April 22, 2016, 07:44:10 PM »
Okay.  It's a draw between Davel and Stephen.  Because I said so.

Now, what was The Topic?

Amaral winning the appeal.

Very nice.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:46:29 PM by stephen25000 »

Offline jassi

« Reply #1294 on: April 22, 2016, 07:48:17 PM »
So it seem that amaral has won this appeal but the McCanns have the right to appeal. Whether the court will allow that appeal is another question. Until then amaral's assets remain frozen...so he is not yet out of the woods.

I believe that to be exactly the position at present.

Does anyone know whether the remaining 28 days are working days or calendar days ?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1295 on: April 22, 2016, 07:48:28 PM »

Very nice.

Have you no grace at all?

stephen25000

« Reply #1296 on: April 22, 2016, 07:49:47 PM »
Have you no grace at all?

You mean like the McCann supporters were doing after the case when the mccanns were awarded damages ?

It is called getting a taste of your own medicine.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1297 on: April 22, 2016, 07:51:39 PM »

Very nice.

i wonder who will win the next round...and how many rounds there will be

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1298 on: April 22, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »

SHUT UP, BOTH OF YOU.  Or I am going to get cross.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1299 on: April 22, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
If Mr Amaral decides to proceed with his threat to sue the McCanns, it is a different ball game.

He doesn't just present an invoice and the money is put into his pocket.

The onus will be on him to prove his allegation with accounts of exactly what income he has lost:  I would imagine that would be the procedure even for a Portuguese court.

I don't know how they will quantify losses for his legal fees as these have been covered by gifts sent to an account set up for that purpose.
That will take a lot of close scrutiny before an assessment can be made.

I don't know how his earnings from television appearances ~ particularly those dealing with the McCann case ~ will be quantified.

If he is claiming financial loss ... the onus will be on him to prove that claim ... I for one would find that prospect almost as interesting as Pandora found the box which she opened.
The question is in retrospect did she regret doing that?

I am sure he will have "gone to school on their putt" as it were and will leave well alone after suggesting he will not, just to give a few people a bit of ring twitter.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline ChloeR

« Reply #1300 on: April 22, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
i wonder who will win the next round...and how many rounds there will be
Will this current chance of appeal not be the final round in this particular case? Or if the decision is changed can Amaral appeal again? If it can just be appealed endlessly its a bit of a joke as there will never be a conclusion

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1301 on: April 22, 2016, 07:58:04 PM »
You can't do it.

Now back to topic.

Amaral has won the case and it will be difficult to justify an appeal to the Supreme Court.

Then I will  await his cases for damages against the mccanns and those others who libelled him.

#on what basis do you say it will be difficult to justify an appeal to the Supreme Court...are you just making things up as you go along

Offline jassi

« Reply #1302 on: April 22, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »
Will this current chance of appeal not be the final round in this particular case? Or if the decision is changed can Amaral appeal again? If it can just be appealed endlessly its a bit of a joke as there will never be a conclusion

It does seem to drag on and on and on.

When one gets to be 70, there is some concern over  if one will live to see the end.  @)(++(*
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Online Eleanor

« Reply #1303 on: April 22, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
It does seem to drag on and on and on.

When one gets to be 70, there is some concern over  if one will live to see the end.  @)(++(*

You and me both.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1304 on: April 22, 2016, 08:01:39 PM »

my post was quite serious...does anyone know how many rounds there will be...perhaps Montclair could advise