Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535239 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #1950 on: April 28, 2016, 11:33:48 AM »
Hi Alice, no just a humble ideal in mind. What do you think on the matter? Should we allow accusations of this kind without any proof to be printed and distributed without any burden of proof? I could just decide to slander my neighbour for instance and start leafleting the local area with slurs upon his name...

The humble higher ideal is fine and we should aspire to it. We live however in a country where a prime minister once wanted a law where in effect someone could be arrested if they looked like they were going to commit a crime. On that basis I doubt the ideal will come to fruition. If you are referring to Mr Bennett leafleting Rothley his behaviour was unacceptable in my book. As far as Sr Amaral's book is concerned, so far in two separate cases the Portuguese courts have ruled he can publish his book, furthermore the courts ruled that the content of the book does not offend any of the McCanns basic rights under Portuguese law.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1951 on: April 28, 2016, 11:35:20 AM »
A thesis, which is not proven and which tarnishes the good name of parents who have lost a child and he pays no recompense for that? If he had proof I would support his endeavours, but this sets a pretty shitty precedent don't you think? I don't think it is a question of whether the McCanns dunnit, but whether anyone feels comfortable living in a society where modern day witch hunts are allowed where hearsay and half established facts are offered as proof...

A thesis which was developed and investigated by a team of investigators, and was laid out in a report in 2007? This report is significant because it was before Amaral was taken off the case, so it reflects the position at the end of his direct involvement.

A report by Chief Inspector Tavares de Almeida to the Coordinator of the Criminal Investigation

Where he concludes, after analyzing all the evidence gathered, that the child is dead and the parents were responsible for cadaver occultation, and the entire GROUP was lying since the first day of the investigation.

From the declarations of the group results a total incoherence, in the face of which it's obvious, that everyone lies.

Although the entire group was at the table and starting the meal, they began the 'visits' to the children in a way that is neither coherent nor acceptable; that could not be confirmed and only the group defends it, in a sort of 'unique version'.

Let's see: the media forwarded the hypothesis that the children could have been sedated to be kept asleep and allow some rest to the parents.

10 September 2007
http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/TAVARES_ALMEIDA.htm
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #1952 on: April 28, 2016, 11:40:08 AM »
Hi Alice, no just a humble ideal in mind. What do you think on the matter? Should we allow accusations of this kind without any proof to be printed and distributed without any burden of proof? I could just decide to slander my neighbour for instance and start leafleting the local area with slurs upon his name...
The judgement is clear on that.  By the McCanns etc not conforming to judicial secrecy but promoting a single version of events, Amaral was entitled to theorise about an alternative.
What's up, old man?

Offline Montclair

« Reply #1953 on: April 28, 2016, 12:30:42 PM »
Gonçalo Amaral's book is already in the shops. A friend saw it in the paper shop at Portimão hospital with a blue band with the word "absolvido" (aquitted) and o livro é livre (the book has been freed). I have to go next week and will take a photo.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1954 on: April 28, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
Gonçalo Amaral's book is already in the shops. A friend saw it in the paper shop at Portimão hospital with a blue band with the word "absolvido" (aquitted) and o livro é livre (the book has been freed). I have to go next week and will take a photo.

That didn't take long. It has been, what, a week since the verdict of the appeal?
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #1955 on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
That didn't take long. It has been, what, a week since the verdict of the appeal?

So the books were given back then.

Offline Carana

« Reply #1956 on: April 28, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
That would cover a lot of ground. Did you have any particular society, above others of a similar ilk, in mind?

What would happen if... e.g. there were one of the usual accusations against, say, a footballer.

There might have been a suspicion - at some point - that said footballer could have been passing on an STD.

The CPS drops the case for whatever reasons.

His newly retired "expert" GP, who may have been more familiar with skin cancer, suddenly pops up, but who has trouble distinguishing between the results of an STD analysis and an infected toenail, yet chooses to insist on the former in a blaze of (lucrative) media attention.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:48:24 PM by Carana »

Offline jassi

« Reply #1957 on: April 28, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »
So the books were given back then.

Maybe, but by the sounds of it, they seem to have newly printed covers , or stickers to put on the existing covers.
We need a picture.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #1958 on: April 28, 2016, 12:59:06 PM »

What would happen if... e.g. there were one of the usual accusations against, say, a footballer.

There might have been a suspicion - at some point - that said footballer could have been passing on an STD.

His newly retired "expert" GP, who may have been more familiar with skin cancer, suddenly pops up, but who has trouble distinguishing between the results of an STD analysis and an infected toenail, yet chooses to insist on the former in a blaze of (lucrative) media attention.

Sunday league player just tough luck.
Premiership multimillionaire type there would be one of them there super injunction thingies. You know where you can't even say that an injunction has been taken out.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1959 on: April 28, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »

We have been subjected to the views of many 'experts' in the UK media on the McCann case. They have been allowed to broadcast their opinions unscathed because they were largely supportive of the McCanns. I assume those who weren't were denied the opportunity to publicise their opinions. What did Katie Hopkins say....not allowed?

Alternative views on the case have been censored in the UK. It's only due to the internet that UK citizens have been able to discover that alternative opinions even existed. When they have been commented on adjectives such as 'ridiculous' and 'bumbling' and ludicrous' have been applied to them, with the accompanying adjectives 'distraught' and 'anguished' and 'suffering' being applied to the McCanns. Very biased reporting in my opinion.
Result = happy posting.

Offline jassi

« Reply #1960 on: April 28, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
We have been subjected to the views of many 'experts' in the UK media on the McCann case. They have been allowed to broadcast their opinions unscathed because they were largely supportive of the McCanns. I assume those who weren't were denied the opportunity to publicise their opinions. What did Katie Hopkins say....not allowed?

Alternative views on the case have been censored in the UK. It's only due to the internet that UK citizens have been able to discover that alternative opinions even existed. When they have been commented on adjectives such as 'ridiculous' and 'bumbling' and ludicrous' have been applied to them, with the accompanying adjectives 'distraught' and 'anguished' and 'suffering' being applied to the McCanns. Very biased reporting in my opinion.

No doubt she'll be on the hit list, for if they ever get enough money together to go litigating again  ?{)(**

Or maybe not -

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #1961 on: April 28, 2016, 01:30:55 PM »

#you are totally wrong in your accusations re the UK...there is no censorship...people can say exactly what they want within the law

Offline Carana

« Reply #1962 on: April 28, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »

IF PT had had a press service, then tabloid hacks would have been able to file their copy for the day and gone home.

In the absence of a media strategy, yet with the media pressure, UK hacks resorted to quoting PT tabloids, who in turn got garbled snippets from PT judicial windows.

The only way that the UK tabloid hacks thought that they could circumvent UK libel was by digging into their inexhaustible dropdown menu of adjectives.

When there's nothing new to say, the adjectives add to the word count as well.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #1963 on: April 28, 2016, 02:22:58 PM »
Maybe, but by the sounds of it, they seem to have newly printed covers , or stickers to put on the existing covers.
We need a picture.
It would be useful if Montclair could have a peek to see if it is a new edition or a re-print.
What's up, old man?

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #1964 on: April 28, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »

IF PT had had a press service, then tabloid hacks would have been able to file their copy for the day and gone home.

In the absence of a media strategy, yet with the media pressure, UK hacks resorted to quoting PT tabloids, who in turn got garbled snippets from PT judicial windows.

The only way that the UK tabloid hacks thought that they could circumvent UK libel was by digging into their inexhaustible dropdown menu of adjectives.

When there's nothing new to say, the adjectives add to the word count as well.

Yes, a media strategy would have sorted it all out......or maybe not.   &%&£(+

In Christopher Jefferies’ own words to the Leveson inquiry, it was the “inappropriate interaction” with newspapers by the police which “was in large part responsible for the ordeal I suffered at the hands of the press.” The police “leaked my name to the press at the time of my arrest,” which “led to ‘open season’ against me in the media.”
Without that, he said, “I do not believe that the press would have published the stories which ensued … armed with confirmation of my name and, it appears, other information from the police, the media seemed to consider there were no holds barred.” The “other information,” according to Richard Wallace, editor of the worst offender, the Mirror, was that “off the record, the police were saying they were confident Mr Jefferies was their man.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/11287037/Christopher-Jefferies-was-treated-disgracefully-by-the-police-not-just-the-press.html
Result = happy posting.