Author Topic: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.  (Read 535285 times)

Offline Alice Purjorick

Re: Former Portuguese detective Gonçalo Amaral wins appeal in damages trial.
« Reply #2040 on: April 30, 2016, 10:41:03 AM »
I don't think even sceptics realise the damage that this latest ruling has caused both in financial and emotional terms.  The McCanns are devastated by this ruling, it has scuttled their plans for what was to be a renewed effort to promote the case as they see it and on their terms as victors on a worldwide stage.

Now Amaral is the victor, not only have they lost some €500,000 which was about to come to them in damages but they could very well be facing ruin as Amaral's own damages claim goes to Court.

What happens now is as unpredictable as the next Supreme Court decision.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility they will face a rather large bill from the revenue.
The case was personal against Sr Amaral and nothing to do with "The Fund Ltd" but if the bills are paid from the fund the money used may be viewed as income or dividend on which tax is payable.
https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited-company/taking-money-out-of-a-limited-company
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #2041 on: April 30, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
The UK press haven't bothered to read, digest, analyse and report on the ins and outs of the damages trial. Reporting has been very sparse, mainly just repeating what the Mccanns have said about it. Why they have failed to provide a balanced and factual account is a mystery.

It's also a mystery why the McCanns expect to be questioned about it. Judging on past form interviewers in the UK would rather cut out their own tongues  than ask any questions which would upset them.

Perhaps those who wanted the interviews have become less keen also? It cannot have escaped the media that the abduction has been found by a court of law to be just one theory of what happened to Madeleine. By promoting it as a fact their reporting has been very unbalanced. Can they continue with that bias indefinitely or are they beginning to feel the need to mention the lack of evidence for the theory and the existence of other, equally valid, theories?

Some people believe in their own publicity, sadly. Their 'stories' are being pulled apart, slowly but surely, no wonder they are seething! Their bubble has burst I fear, and they have no where to hide in an open public forum which they courted and controlled for so long.  The other theories like leaving the house through an unlocked door and wandering into some kind of trouble was vehemently denied by Kate N Gerry,  WHY? PR perhaps or fear of abandonment claims?

We have heard for so long it wasn't their fault....hmmm
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2042 on: April 30, 2016, 11:25:48 AM »
No ... they don't have an age progressed image at the moment ... I believe they intend to commission one.

Just a reminder ... Tuesday is the ninth anniversary of Madeleine McCann's disappearance ... I don't know why they have have pulled out of a vehicle to publicise her, possibly Mr Amaral's appeal court victory might have a bearing or it may not.

I have no problem at all with his following being happy about his victory ... but find it just a tad below the belt at the glee being evidenced that on the ninth anniversary of their daughter's disappearance they feel unable to take the opportunity to publicise her for whatever reason.

There is no valid reason I can think of which  justifies declining to publicise Madeleine's disappearance on the anniversary.

They have insisted that their priority has always been the search. The world wide publicity was to help the search. The Fund was for the search. Being made arguidos didn't worry them personally, but it harmed the search. All the libel money paid out by UK newspapers went into the fund for the search.  Kate's book was written to raise more money for the search. The damages trial happened because Amaral's book harmed the search. Every penny awarded to them by the first judgement was going to be spent on resuming the search if it became necessary.

Now it seems that avoiding questions about the defeat in Portugal is more important than promoting the search.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

« Reply #2043 on: April 30, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
There is no valid reason I can think of which  justifies declining to publicise Madeleine's disappearance on the anniversary.

They have insisted that their priority has always been the search. The world wide publicity was to help the search. The Fund was for the search. Being made arguidos didn't worry them personally, but it harmed the search. All the libel money paid out by UK newspapers went into the fund for the search.  Kate's book was written to raise more money for the search. The damages trial happened because Amaral's book harmed the search. Every penny awarded to them by the first judgement was going to be spent on resuming the search if it became necessary.

Now it seems that avoiding questions about the defeat in Portugal is more important than promoting the search.

And also the thought of being questioned about abandonment claims and PJ not getting requests about burglars regarding the 'last line' of eniqiry. This is even too huge for Clarance to spin.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 01:14:50 PM by ShiningInLuz »

stephen25000

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2045 on: April 30, 2016, 11:46:06 AM »
Clarence is conspicuous by his absence.
Result = happy posting.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2046 on: April 30, 2016, 12:44:39 PM »
I don't think even sceptics realise the damage that this latest ruling has caused both in financial and emotional terms.  The McCanns are devastated by this ruling, it has scuttled their plans for what was to be a renewed effort to promote the case as they see it and on their terms as victors on a worldwide stage.

Now Amaral is the victor, not only have they lost some €500,000 which was about to come to them in damages but they could very well be facing ruin as Amaral's own damages claim goes to Court.

What happens now is as unpredictable as the next Supreme Court decision.

while I would think they are devastated I don't think they face financial ruin. They have had and still have the opportunity to earn millions from personal appearances...magazine articles and books. All this money could be placed in trust for the benefit of the twins...their house could be placed in a similar trust and would be out of reach of any court judgements. I know several very wealthy poeple who actually own absolutely nothing but live a very nice lifestyle

Offline John

« Reply #2047 on: April 30, 2016, 12:59:11 PM »
while I would think they are devastated I don't think they face financial ruin. They have had and still have the opportunity to earn millions from personal appearances...magazine articles and books. All this money could be placed in trust for the benefit of the twins...their house could be placed in a similar trust and would be out of reach of any court judgements. I know several very wealthy poeple who actually own absolutely nothing but live a very nice lifestyle

Did Gonçalo Amaral have the benefit of such Trusts?
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #2048 on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:10 PM »

Didn't he invest quite a lot of it in Seafood Restaurants?

« Reply #2049 on: April 30, 2016, 01:04:40 PM »

Oh you mean act like the celebrities they have become, but sadly as the pandoras box opens, all sort will out, some have shown this week as not favorable, and then again they have given up on this limelight malarky they have already pulled out of Lorraine 'show' to ply their wares...

Making money from a missing child is completely abhorrant.

Oh and don't say it is for a search, people have tried for years....NOTHING.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #2050 on: April 30, 2016, 01:05:17 PM »

If it was not done some considerable time ago then they have probably missed that boat.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2051 on: April 30, 2016, 01:06:22 PM »

may well be he was taken by surprise and did not have chance to make any arrangements. None of the Mccanns assets are in portugal and available to be frozen....I still cannot see what grounds amaral has to sue the McCanns

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #2052 on: April 30, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »
If it was not done some considerable time ago then they have probably missed that boat.

Why?   There is no court action against them at the moment

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2053 on: April 30, 2016, 01:17:04 PM »

Did I read somewhere that their friend Sir Phillip Green is quite good at spreading his assets around? Maybe he could advise them.

It sounds to me as if the Supreme Court should take some precautions if they are asked to hear an appeal by the McCanns. Everything they owe to date should be lodged with the court plus a sum to cover the appeal costs if they lose again.
Result = happy posting.

« Reply #2054 on: April 30, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Did I read somewhere that their friend Sir Phillip Green is quite good at spreading his assets around? Maybe he could advise them.

It sounds to me as if the Supreme Court should take some precautions if they are asked to hear an appeal by the McCanns. Everything they owe to date should be lodged with the court plus a sum to cover the appeal costs if they lose again.

They could probably be discussing that as we speak:) I cannot see a reason for them to appeal, the judgement was very clear. I suspect they are panic stricken all seems to be happening at the one time. I do wonder why they cancelled Lorraine show...

It would appear,contrary to previous belief by the media, the public at large are not that bothered about searching for their daughter or sending money in to support their fanciful corporate jiggery pockery re hiding (moving)parts of the funs to .... well who know.