UK Justice Forum 🇬🇧

Disappeared and Abducted Children and Young Adults => Madeleine McCann (3) disappeared from her parent's holiday apartment at Ocean Club, Praia da Luz, Portugal on 3 May 2007. No trace of her has ever been found. => Topic started by: John on January 23, 2015, 12:34:47 PM

Title: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: John on January 23, 2015, 12:34:47 PM
An interesting point has been raised in respect of the use of the terms Dr and Dra in Portugal.

In the UK we associate the term Dr solely in relation to someone who is a medical doctor or who holds a PHD in another discipline.

In Portugal apparently, the term Dr is used by graduates including law graduates, the female equivalent being Dra. 

Similarly, people with doctorates (PhD but not MD) are titled as Professor.

22
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Carana on January 27, 2015, 02:58:36 PM
An interesting point has been raised in respect of the use of the terms Dr and Dra in Portugal.

In the UK we associate the term Dr solely in relation to someone who is a medical doctor or who holds a PHD in another discipline.

In Portugal apparently, the term Dr is used by graduates including law graduates, the female equivalent being Dra. 

Similarly, people with doctorates (PhD but not MD) are titled as Professor.

Interesting point. The title of "Dr" does confer a certain academic aura. As he's obviously not a medical doctor,when and where did Amaral gain a PhD?
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: jassi on January 27, 2015, 03:06:14 PM
Interesting point. The title of "Dr" does confer a certain academic aura. As he's obviously not a medical doctor,when and where did Amaral gain a PhD?

Isn't it to do with his law degree?
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Mr Gray on January 27, 2015, 03:08:27 PM
Isn't it to do with his law degree?

it seems in portugal and elsewhere in Europe a BA is sufficient to use the title Dr...he certainly doesn't have a Phd
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Mr Gray on January 27, 2015, 03:12:07 PM
It appears from this he should not be using the title...


In Portugal, up to recent times after the completion of an undergraduate degree – except in architecture and engineering – a person was referred to as doutor (Dr.) – male or doutora (Dra.) – female. The architects and engineers were referred by their professional titles: arquitecto (Arq.) and engenheiro (Eng.). Nurses ares also referred to as "nurse", enfermeiro (male) or enfermeira (female), the title being Enf. for both.

Nowadays Portugal is a signatory to the Bologna process and according to the current legislation the title of Doctor (doutor, doutora) is reserved for graduate holders of an academic doctorate.[31] Professions such as physicians, attorneys, pharmacists, veterinarians, and few others are usually referred to by the title Dr. (doutor) even if they have not been awarded a doctoral degree.

Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: jassi on January 27, 2015, 03:15:05 PM
What does attorney mean in this context?

I see Wiki  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Bar_Association    says that attorneys can be the equivalent of solicitors or barristers
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Brietta on January 27, 2015, 03:25:42 PM

So it is not Dr ... but Snr?   &%+((£
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: John on January 27, 2015, 03:37:37 PM
It appears from this he should not be using the title...


In Portugal, up to recent times after the completion of an undergraduate degree – except in architecture and engineering – a person was referred to as doutor (Dr.) – male or doutora (Dra.) – female. The architects and engineers were referred by their professional titles: arquitecto (Arq.) and engenheiro (Eng.). Nurses ares also referred to as "nurse", enfermeiro (male) or enfermeira (female), the title being Enf. for both.

Nowadays Portugal is a signatory to the Bologna process and according to the current legislation the title of Doctor (doutor, doutora) is reserved for graduate holders of an academic doctorate.[31] Professions such as physicians, attorneys, pharmacists, veterinarians, and few others are usually referred to by the title Dr. (doutor) even if they have not been awarded a doctoral degree.


Most interesting Dave, I must admit I never took much notice of this previously.  Can I add the following...

The system of Portuguese titles

Having a Degree entitles you to use “Dr” (or Dra = “Doutora” for a woman), unless it’s in engineering in which case the title is Eng or Enga (“Engenheiro”, “Engenheira”) or in architecture in which case it’s Arq or Arqa (“Arquitecto”, “Arquitecta”)

Having a Masters Degree theoretically entitles you to the title “Mestre” but this is only used in formal or written situations in the academic world.

People with doctorates (PhD but not MD) are titled as Professor (”Professor Doutor”), so don’t assume a Professor holds a professorial chair or is even a university teacher.


So there we have it,  it is quite correct for us Brits to refer to Dr Amaral as plain old Mr Amaral and to Dra Duarte as Mrs Duarte.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alice Purjorick on January 27, 2015, 03:54:38 PM
What does attorney mean in this context?

I see Wiki  - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Bar_Association    says that attorneys can be the equivalent of solicitors or barristers
I wonder what the "a few others" encompasses.
I doubt any one's qualifications will be considered much when the Judge considers the verdict. Except Mr Pike possibly.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: jassi on January 27, 2015, 03:57:56 PM
I wonder what the "a few others" encompasses.
I doubt any one's qualifications will be considered much when the Judge considers the verdict. Except Mr Pike possibly.

Well yes - if you put yourself forward in a professional or expert capacity, qualifications are very relevant, otherwise of very little importance.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Carana on January 27, 2015, 04:10:01 PM
Most interesting Dave, I must admit I never took much notice of this previously.  Can I add the following...

The system of Portuguese titles

Having a Degree entitles you to use “Dr” (or Dra = “Doutora” for a woman), unless it’s in engineering in which case the title is Eng or Enga (“Engenheiro”, “Engenheira”) or in architecture in which case it’s Arq or Arqa (“Arquitecto”, “Arquitecta”)

Having a Masters Degree theoretically entitles you to the title “Mestre” but this is only used in formal or written situations in the academic world.

People with doctorates (PhD but not MD) are titled as Professor (”Professor Doutor”), so don’t assume a Professor holds a professorial chair or is even a university teacher.


So there we have it,  it is quite correct for us Brits to refer to Dr Amaral as plain old Mr Amaral and to Dra Duarte as Mrs Duarte.

Isabel Duarte's academic legal training:
http://conselho--superior.blogspot.com/2010/10/curriculum-vitae-isabel-duarte.html

I can't find where Amaral did his. 

Was this an internal course within the PJ to qualify as a potential coordinator?



Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: John on January 27, 2015, 04:10:27 PM
It's like many things in this case, there is no direct correlation between what is acceptable in Portugal compared to what we take for granted in the UK (Scottish Law excluded).
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Carana on January 27, 2015, 04:12:22 PM
I think we got caught up in musical threads again.


Anyway.


Isabel Duarte's academic legal training:
http://conselho--superior.blogspot.com/2010/10/curriculum-vitae-isabel-duarte.html

I can't find where Amaral did his.

Was this an internal course within the PJ to qualify as a potential coordinator?
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: John on January 27, 2015, 04:21:33 PM
Seems Mr Amaral, born 1959, obtained a university degree in juridical and criminal science in1980, the year before he joined the Portuguese police.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alfred R Jones on January 27, 2015, 05:31:56 PM
How do they address genuine doctors over there?  There's something ever-so-slightly sad about people who insist on drawing attention to their educational qualifications in their names. 

Alfred R Jones - BA (Hons)
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alice Purjorick on January 27, 2015, 06:18:48 PM
How do they address genuine doctors over there?  There's something ever-so-slightly sad about people who insist on drawing attention to their educational qualifications in their names. 

Alfred R Jones - BA (Hons)
You mean someone who is MD here? rather than "genuine doctor".
But when you were organising salmon fishing in The Yemen you had a PhD. I know I read the book about you.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alfred R Jones on January 27, 2015, 06:29:21 PM
You mean someone who is MD here? rather than "genuine doctor".
But when you were organising salmon fishing in The Yemen you had a PhD. I know I read the book about you.
Alice, I know you are fixated with me, my name and its similarity to a character in a book that I have never read but do you think you could give it a rest?  It's v-e-r-y boring.

I have never addressed my doctor as MD before, but thanks for putting me straight - I shall endeavour to do so from now on.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: jassi on January 27, 2015, 06:30:37 PM
I usually call mine 'duckie' as she's a bit of a quack   @)(++(*
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Carew on January 27, 2015, 06:43:19 PM
So it is not Dr ... but Snr?   &%+((£


Dash it all..........a charlatan.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Mr Gray on January 27, 2015, 06:46:10 PM
You mean someone who is MD here? rather than "genuine doctor".
But when you were organising salmon fishing in The Yemen you had a PhD. I know I read the book about you.

Dr is a courtesy title for medics...genuine doctors are those with a Phd
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alice Purjorick on January 27, 2015, 06:59:06 PM
Dr is a courtesy title for medics...genuine doctors are those with a Phd

I think I had worked that out but thank you for confirming it.
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alice Purjorick on January 27, 2015, 07:02:40 PM
Alice, I know you are fixated with me, my name and its similarity to a character in a book that I have never read but do you think you could give it a rest?  It's v-e-r-y boring.

I have never addressed my doctor as MD before, but thanks for putting me straight - I shall endeavour to do so from now on.

I feel that way about dogs and Smithman's lack of relevance but at least my boring comments don't have dedicated threads  @)(++(*
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alfred R Jones on January 27, 2015, 07:03:46 PM
I feel that way about dogs and Smithman's lack of relevance but at least my boring comments don't have dedicated threads  @)(++(*
You should get over to the Poulton thread pronto - it's hotting up nicely... 8(0(*
Title: Re: The Portuguese titles Dr and Dra explained.
Post by: Alice Purjorick on January 27, 2015, 07:06:16 PM
You should get over to the Poulton thread pronto - it's hotting up nicely... 8(0(*

I try to avoid that thread as far as possible.