Author Topic: Question about moderation on the forum  (Read 5061 times)

Offline mercury

Question about moderation on the forum
« on: June 12, 2015, 07:21:22 PM »
Can someone please explain the reasons that whole posts are removed and neither moved elsewhere , rather than moderated if they are not "off topic"

I logged in today to find quite a few of my posts were nowhere to be found and, as far as I comprehend,broke no forum rules, and neither did I receive any moderator emails, warnings or anything of that kind to guide. i find this frustrating where the level playing field is not clear.

Thanks in advance. Will check back later.

Offline Admin

Re: Question about moderation on the forum
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:47:25 AM »
Can someone please explain the reasons that whole posts are removed and neither moved elsewhere , rather than moderated if they are not "off topic"

I logged in today to find quite a few of my posts were nowhere to be found and, as far as I comprehend,broke no forum rules, and neither did I receive any moderator emails, warnings or anything of that kind to guide. i find this frustrating where the level playing field is not clear.

Thanks in advance. Will check back later.

Numerous warnings have been issued in relation to off topic posting so it is up to the individual member to ensure all comments are relative to the discussion.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:46:58 AM »
I also get confused. Sometimes I get told I'm off topic for joining in a discussion that is already off topic. So I don't join in an off topic discussion, I post something relating to the thread and get told I'm disrupting! It is hard to know what I'm doing wrong sometimes.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
I also get confused. Sometimes I get told I'm off topic for joining in a discussion that is already off topic. So I don't join in an off topic discussion, I post something relating to the thread and get told I'm disrupting! It is hard to know what I'm doing wrong sometimes.

This is one of the reasons for why it is best to remove off topic posts as soon as possible.

All posts taking the topic back on track are  more than welcome, believe me.  If anyone is accused of being disruptive for doing this, please report it.

Off Topic Posts cause utter chaos, resulting in some members forgetting where they posted what, and then assuming that a post has been removed.  I know that this happens because I have done so myself.

Offline mercury

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 10:15:41 PM »
Numerous warnings have been issued in relation to off topic posting so it is up to the individual member to ensure all comments are relative to the discussion.
The posts were not off topic which I tried to explain in my OP.  Today the same has happened. Alot of posts of mine have been removed from yesterday. I do not accept they were all off topic or broke rules, but never mind, not going to lose any sleep over it. Just want total clarity. Thanks.

Offline mercury

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:19:33 PM »

Ditto. Not that different from warnings posted on threads by the mods to stop insults and off topic posts otherwise they will be deleted and many are left after a "purge". Too inconsistent and confusing.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:40:31 AM »
Ditto. Not that different from warnings posted on threads by the mods to stop insults and off topic posts otherwise they will be deleted and many are left after a "purge". Too inconsistent and confusing.

I'd like to know what constitutes 'abuse' also. Is it telling someone they're stupid, for example, or is that just banter?
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline mercury

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 01:03:30 AM »
I'd like to know what constitutes 'abuse' also. Is it telling someone they're stupid, for example, or is that just banter?

many abusive posts stand while others are deleted

I would still like to know why innocuous posts are removed. Tonight I was looking for one I saw this morning  to reply to but it is nowhere  to be seen...it was neither abusive libellous or in any way breaking forum rules..such a shame

It was a post by Alice Perjorak (sp)who spoke about dogs and kebabs, but it's possible I just have missed it and included the wrong search terms

Offline mercury

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 06:30:42 PM »
Hmmm musing about reasons why posts are removed when ON TOPIC and NOT abusive, or breaking any forum rules,any guesses? I certainly dont agree wth the notion that being a moderator gives you a biased blank cheque to cull hello?

Offline Admin

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 01:02:14 PM »
Hmmm musing about reasons why posts are removed when ON TOPIC and NOT abusive, or breaking any forum rules,any guesses? I certainly dont agree wth the notion that being a moderator gives you a biased blank cheque to cull hello?

Moderation is taken very seriously on this forum and considering the volume of posts at times the moderators and editors do an excellent job.  Posting that another member is stupid or unintelligent might seem like innocuous terms to some but if we were to allow them where would it end? 

There are occasions certainly when comments are used in all innocence to explain something or to make a point and are not intended as abusive.  Unless a reader has been following the discussion it might appear that the comments were used in a completely different context.   This is the difficulty mods have at times and especially when a comment is reported.

Please realise that it is a time consuming job keeping these boards up to the standard we all strive for, all I can ask is that members support the mods and report inappropriate comments as soon as possible but always bearing in mind the context.

Admin

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:04:38 PM by Admin »

Offline Eleanor

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 02:51:12 PM »

We all really do try you know, and it is often very boring, and even difficult to decide what should stay and what should go.

But if you could all avoid "quoting" what might be seen as abusive replies, then this would make life so much easier.

I actually glory on the days when I don't have to delete or modify anything.  And they do happen, albeit not as often as I would like.  But it is getting better.

Offline Admin

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 04:04:44 PM »
We all really do try you know, and it is often very boring, and even difficult to decide what should stay and what should go.

But if you could all avoid "quoting" what might be seen as abusive replies, then this would make life so much easier.

I actually glory on the days when I don't have to delete or modify anything.  And they do happen, albeit not as often as I would like.  But it is getting better.

It used to be much worse but over time the worst offenders have moved on to other pastures where they can get away with it for a while.  The vast majority of members here are genuinely interested in the cases we host with Madeleine and Jeremy tending to be the most popular by far.

A forum, any forum, is only as strong as its members so our members are to be applauded for their contributions some of which are truly superb.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:12:28 PM by Admin »

Offline mercury

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »
OK thanks admin/Eleanor
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:01:57 AM by mercury »