Author Topic: Portuguese minister reveals: We didn’t charge Maddie’s parents out of compassion  (Read 22820 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline ShiningInLuz

We have already be told this is a report and not set in stone about innocence or guilt about abandonment, The reasons have already been given as to why this was not done by those who knew better on the ground. Their WAS enough evidence to have charged them with abandonment. The Tapas group were very much aware of this because in early statements we got this from Gerry "It was like sitting in your garden". I will suggest that the PJ were undermined and overwhelmed by the whole bloody circus the McCanns created in the beginning.

As far as speculation is concerned, it is a viable, and reasonable argument to suggest a court of LAW should be the place for deciding IF the tapas were guilty of abandonment or not.  Saying it in a report is not credible to establish this.
I take it if you were 'involved' in a crime, the police investigated and found insufficient evidence to charge you, the prosecution service agreed there was insufficient evidence to take you to court, that you should be dragged into court anyway.

I prefer the current system.
What's up, old man?

Offline Miss Taken Identity

I take it if you were 'involved' in a crime, the police investigated and found insufficient evidence to charge you, the prosecution service agreed there was insufficient evidence to take you to court, that you should be dragged into court anyway.

I prefer the current system.

I also prefer that system, when it works !  however, I am making the argument, and commenting on: that there were reasons other than "no evidence" (as there clearly is plenty of evidence of abandonment). It has been mentioned that there were other reasons for not charging the Tapas with abandonment, many mentioned.
The other argument is would  this no evidence mantra stand up in a court of law I would suggest not. And I have given reasons for my belief in previous posts.

Many other people are questioning why they were not charged with abandonment, or that this was not investigated properly to show evidence. I blame the circus and the 'victim status' of the parents. There is evidence that they failed to protect their daughter, and facilitated her disappearance by not being there,the risk assessment of what they did was huge! a temporary abandonment per say could lead to all sorts of harm- one of them being worst case scenario child being abducted? by Paedophiles?
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline pegasus

what political pressure...you are quoting opinion as fact
At the beginning there were efforts made, by a lawyer who was paid to fly out there, to counter any potential abandonment charge.

Offline Benice

They left their children several nights in a row in an unlocked apartment, which was locked during the day.

Their 'intention' in doing that was so that they could check on the children more quickly than having to go the long way round. There is no other intention re the unlocked door.     That is evidence in itself that it was their intention to return to 5a to make regular checks.   The fact that they did make regular checks was given by the AG as one reason why their actions did not constitute abandonment. 

If they had arrested the McCanns and their friends, they would have to explain why they were not arresting every other holidaymaker in Portugal who was using the same method of childcare - or who used baby alarms to do the same on a nightly basis when they went to dinner.

IMO




The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline Mr Gray

it seems there has to be intent...the Mccanns did not intend for Maddie to be harmed...they thought it was safe...they were wrong

Offline pegasus

it seems there has to be intent...the Mccanns did not intend for Maddie to be harmed...they thought it was safe...they were wrong
Isn't the abandonment issue the reason a lawyer was flown out there?

Offline slartibartfast

I take it if you were 'involved' in a crime, the police investigated and found insufficient evidence to charge you, the prosecution service agreed there was insufficient evidence to take you to court, that you should be dragged into court anyway.

I prefer the current system.

Do we know that the both the police and prosecution service found insufficient evidence?
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline G-Unit

This is the first time I can recall the Portuguese authorities speaking out on the record. First the Appeal Court slapped the McCann's hands, now the neglect is being discussed.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline ShiningInLuz

Do we know that the both the police and prosecution service found insufficient evidence?
Archiving report, authored by the police, stated no evidence to prosecute.

To actually archive the case, it needs the approval of someone (not certain who) outside of the police force to agree to the report that the investigation should stop.

Two separate branches of the judicial system.
What's up, old man?

Offline John

This is the first time I can recall the Portuguese authorities speaking out on the record. First the Appeal Court slapped the McCann's hands, now the neglect is being discussed.

Oh dear, the can of worms is truly being opened now.  This will surely finish the Portuguese cooperation once and for all.
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Lace

They left their children several nights in a row in an unlocked apartment, which was locked during the day.

They were gone for longer than half an hour during the day weren't they?    Who would know the patio doors were open,  if they hadn't been watched?

Offline G-Unit

They were gone for longer than half an hour during the day weren't they?    Who would know the patio doors were open,  if they hadn't been watched?

According to Fiona it was left open so Madeleine could exit and find her parents, however unbelievably stupid that sounds.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

stephen25000

  • Guest
They were gone for longer than half an hour during the day weren't they?    Who would know the patio doors were open,  if they hadn't been watched?


Was it burgled during daytime ?

Offline Lace


Was it burgled during daytime ?

I don't believe they went in through the patio doors,  there was too many people up and down there,  I think they used the front door.

People were burgled during the daytime.

stephen25000

  • Guest
I don't believe they went in through the patio doors,  there was too many people up and down there,  I think they used the front door.

People were burgled during the daytime.

Not in that apartment.