Author Topic: Wandering Off Topic  (Read 3034709 times)

0 Members and 69 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8670 on: October 20, 2020, 08:58:21 PM »
What was your point? That no supporters are members of CMOMM? You are wrong.

Shining in Luz who could hardly be described as a 'supporter' in my opinion was given his marching orders from there but it should be easy enough for you to make your point without blowing anyone's cover.

A couple of C&Ps of pro McCann posts should do the trick.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Vertigo Swirl

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8671 on: October 20, 2020, 09:08:46 PM »
Shining in Luz who could hardly be described as a 'supporter' in my opinion was given his marching orders from there but it should be easy enough for you to make your point without blowing anyone's cover.

A couple of C&Ps of pro McCann posts should do the trick.
Blimey if he didn’t last what hope for a genuine supporter? 
"You can't reason with the unreasonable".

Online Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8672 on: October 20, 2020, 09:24:08 PM »
Blimey if he didn’t last what hope for a genuine supporter?

I was kicked out many, many moons ago and I hardly said a word about anything.

Offline Vertigo Swirl

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8673 on: October 20, 2020, 09:31:45 PM »
I was kicked out many, many moons ago and I hardly said a word about anything.
Same here, and I was so grovellingly polite you would never have recognized me!
"You can't reason with the unreasonable".

Offline faithlilly

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8674 on: October 20, 2020, 09:54:30 PM »
I was kicked out many, many moons ago and I hardly said a word about anything.

Is ..... is going ?
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Erngath

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8675 on: October 20, 2020, 09:58:42 PM »
Same here, and I was so grovellingly polite you would never have recognized me!

Nope.
Never ventured there.
Read occasionally but never joined!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:13:47 PM by Erngath »
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8676 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:42 PM »

I discovered it as a newbie to Madeleine's case but very soon recognised it as a slick but very sick forum.  You couldn't have paid me to join them.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Online Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8677 on: October 20, 2020, 10:27:30 PM »
I discovered it as a newbie to Madeleine's case but very soon recognised it as a slick but very sick forum.  You couldn't have paid me to join them.

Some of us thought that everyone was up for discussion in those days.

This is why this Forum is a bit precious.


Offline sadie

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8679 on: October 20, 2020, 10:41:52 PM »
Nope.
Never ventured there.
Read occasionally but never joined!!

I was frightened to join   8**8:/:   Oh, my !

Offline Erngath

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8680 on: October 20, 2020, 10:46:26 PM »
I was frightened to join   8**8:/:   Oh, my !

Same here........there are so many "researchers" I would be worried about being "researched". Lol.
Deal with the failings of others as gently as with your own.

Online Eleanor

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8681 on: October 20, 2020, 10:53:18 PM »
Same here........there are so many "researchers" I would be worried about being "researched". Lol.

I was.  Being one of the few whose email address is my name Tony Bennett outed me.  Fortunately it didn't bother me.  Silly old fool.

Offline faithlilly

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8682 on: October 20, 2020, 11:06:58 PM »
I was.  Being one of the few whose email address is my name Tony Bennett outed me.  Fortunately it didn't bother me.  Silly old fool.

Thankfully you weren’t as mentally fragile like Brenda Leyland. I’m afraid that in both camps we often see the worst of human nature.
Brietta posted on 10/04/2022 “But whether or not that is the reason behind the delay I am certain that Brueckner's trial is going to take place.”

Let’s count the months, shall we?

Offline Brietta

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8683 on: October 21, 2020, 12:52:54 AM »
Thankfully you weren’t as mentally fragile like Brenda Leyland. I’m afraid that in both camps we often see the worst of human nature.

Please note the paragraphs I have bolded for your attention.  I found them quite apt.


The case of Brenda Leyland and the McCanns is a thoroughly modern tale of internet lawlessness
You can’t accuse a TV reporter of ‘hounding’ someone who is guilty of trolling
Grace Dent
Tuesday 07 October 2014

The circumstances around the death of Brenda Leyland, whose body was found in a Leicester hotel room this weekend, are all at once sad, complex, divisive and thoroughly modern.

Ms. Leyland, I cannot help but feel, is yet another victim of what I’ve termed “the internet wild west era” in which we’re living. The rules of civility are yet to be established. We’re naught but electronic guinea pigs. One man’s “troll” is another man’s prophet of truth. One woman’s systematic campaign of abuse is another woman’s brave battle to be heard.

Ms Leyland was doorstepped last week by Martin Brunt from Sky News over her alleged obsessive and relentless Twtter campaign to expose what she felt was “the truth” about Madeleine McCann’s parents Gerry and Kate.

A Twitter account by the handle @sweepyface had tweeted over 4,300 times supporting its firm - albeit incorrect - view that the McCanns are implicated nefariously in their daughter’s disappearance. The account’s contempt and anger for the McCanns was multi-faceted, inexhaustible, and at times breathtakingly unpleasant.

Mr Brunt took pains in his report to say that @sweepyface was not the worst offender. This I believe, as over many years I’ve noticed the anti-McCann conspiracy theory lobby to be some of the most furious, combative and unsettling message-propellers one might come across.

The McCann conspiracy theory is the perfect tinderbox for internet trolls. It involves a child’s disappearance, a possible paedophile bogeyman, a £2m fund with accusations of misuse, plus handily placed daft foreigners open to accusations of fecklessness and corruption. But more than this the McCann case appeals to firmly entrenched class war tensions that these evil middle class folk are able to pull strings or use their money or power to cover something up. I cannot remember blame and spite directed at Jamie Bulger’s mother or Sarah Payne’s grandparents alleging that it was flaws in their attention which had led to utter woe. In these cases, empathy and compassion were abundant.

Yet there is something about doctors eating patatas bravas within metres of sleeping children which drove Twitter accounts like @sweepyface to a bleak place. The @sweepyface account begged for attention endlessly - from like-minded people, from detractors, from journalists and from TV people. Matthew Wright received many tweets, Martin Brunt also – and with this in mind Brunt approached Ms Leyland to allot her just this - attention.

But, as I say, we’re in the wild west. While @sweepyface was desperate for exposure, Ms Leyland did not welcome it at all. While @sweepyface may have been in her element flinging around accusations, gossip and provoking ill-will, the real life Ms. Leyland met Mr Brunt’s request for a comment with a firm No and an attempt to disappear into her car.

Mr. Brunt is now being accused by some sections of “hounding” Ms. Leyland to her death. This seems extreme. Reporters have been doorstepping people and requesting answers on British television for the past 50 years. Are we now saying that in this new internet age, any person who draws attention to themselves vehemently but anonymously online is out of bounds for reporters?

Are we saying that we must accept that internet users working anonymously to spread misery are most probably mentally delicate and fuelled on their own shortcomings, so let’s leave be? Should a person's privacy be respected even if their modus operandi is disrespecting privacy? The only certainty this incident has underlined is we have no strong idea how to tackle harmful internet unpleasantness, aside from “ignore”.

There should be more help, support, understanding and escape routes offered to people living angrily behind keyboards. Their numbers are growing. In our ever web-dependent, fresh-air lacking, screen-chained world, we’re all more powerful, more superhuman behind our laptops in bed at midnight than we ever could be in real life.

And being an internet idiot, even just momentarily, is in all our sights. When we’re safely miles away from our target, we feel righteous, war-like, invincible and remorseless over our ability to wound. Ms. Leyland’s meeting with Mr Brunt was a reminder that when human beings propel anger electronically, the last thing they want is to be greeted with is a human face.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/case-brenda-leyland-and-mccanns-thoroughly-modern-tale-internet-lawlessness-9778262.html
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline kizzy

Re: Wandering Off Topic
« Reply #8684 on: October 21, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
Nope.
Never ventured there.
Read occasionally but never joined!!

Well, you obviously venture there to take time to read it  - even if only occasionally.

Shows you have some interest.