Author Topic: Cadaver dogs are unreliable - Eugene Zapata  (Read 206410 times)

Offline G-Unit

Re: Cadaver dogs are unreliable - Eugene Zapata
« Reply #915 on: November 18, 2018, 09:59:14 PM »
Has anyone defined reliability in this context?
Or are we conflating reliablity and repeatability?

I very much doubt it could be repeatable. Therefore it isn't scientific in the same way as a litmus test, for example.
Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #916 on: November 18, 2018, 10:04:22 PM »
I very much doubt it could be repeatable. Therefore it isn't scientific in the same way as a litmus test, for example.

It is a, scientific  test.... And it may well be repeatable but there, seems no desire from the canine industry  to carry out scientific  testing....

Offline Sunny

« Reply #917 on: November 18, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »
It is a, scientific  test.... And it may well be repeatable but there, seems no desire from the canine industry  to carry out scientific  testing....

I assume you accidentally missed putting this was your opinion Davel.
Members are reminded that cites must be provided in accordance with the forum rules. On several occasions recently cites have been requested but never provided. Asking for a cite is not goading but compliance.

From this moment onward, posts making significant claims which are not backed up by a cite will be removed.

Moderators and Editors take note!

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #918 on: November 18, 2018, 10:17:37 PM »
I assume you accidentally missed putting this was your opinion Davel.

If you read the article the author states that she has faced reluctance in repeating... Expanding the tests..

Where are the scientific tests...if the dogs are so good why doesn't the canine industry want to prove it.

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #919 on: November 18, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »

Tell us how you would conduct tests then.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #920 on: November 18, 2018, 10:32:49 PM »
Tell us how you would conduct tests then.

The test described would be a good start and the sort of thing I had already suggested

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »
Why not?  If there were two cadaver dogs and they both alerted what would you say then?
Maybe there could be two dogs each run by different dog handlers. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:37:30 PM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #922 on: November 19, 2018, 04:23:00 AM »
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3078300/  Handler beliefs affect scent detection dog outcomes
Lisa Lit,corresponding author1,4 Julie B. Schweitzer,2 and Anita M. Oberbauer3

Stats has never been my best subject.

A reply to the study  "https://swgdog.fiu.edu/news/2012/swgdog-response-to-lit-k9-study/swgdog_response_to_lit_study.pdf   "SWGDOG Membership Commentary on “Handler beliefs affect scent
detection dog outcomes” by L. Lit, J.B. Schweitzer and A.M. Oberbauer. "
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 07:25:06 AM by Robittybob1 »
Moderation
John has instructed all moderators to take a very strong line with posters who constantly breach the rules of this forum.  This sniping, goading, name calling and other various forms of disruption will cease.

Offline ShiningInLuz

« Reply #923 on: November 19, 2018, 09:01:09 AM »
Just started reading this so haven't formed an opinion yet ... but I thought this pertinent to the discussion.

Page 6
1.1.2 Effectiveness and Limitations
Cadaver dogs have been a forensic tool for over 50 years, but there is little scientific research into their effectiveness and limitations.
Unlike DNA analysis, cadaver dogs have not been scientifically validated and thus, their evidence in court is often viewed with caution
https://opus.lib.uts.edu.au/bitstream/10453/62158/2/02whole.pdf
Looks like one to stack up for my coffee and biscuits at elevenses.    *&(+(+
What's up, old man?

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »
Looks like one to stack up for my coffee and biscuits at elevenses.    *&(+(+
"elevenses: a short break for light refreshments, usually with tea or coffee, taken at about eleven o'clock in the morning."

Another word for smoko then.
Moderation

Offline Alice Purjorick

« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2018, 01:25:42 PM »
The test described would be a good start and the sort of thing I had already suggested

Would you care to elaborate on that. The comment is a bit vague and the tests conducted by Lit have been called into question.
"Navigating the difference between weird but normal grief and truly suspicious behaviour is the key for any detective worth his salt.". ….Sarah Bailey

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #926 on: November 19, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
Would you care to elaborate on that. The comment is a bit vague and the tests conducted by Lit have been called into question.

Called into question by whom.... The dog handlers who were caught out

A very well run scientific  study... The only criticism  coming from those who were caught out by it.... The dog handlers
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:55:19 PM by Davel »

Offline slartibartfast

« Reply #927 on: November 19, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
Called into question by whom.... The dog handlers who were caught out

A very well run scientific  study... The only criticism  coming from those who were caught out by it.... The dog handlers

A bit like anyone “caught out” by a dog alert criticising it.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

« Reply #928 on: November 19, 2018, 02:43:51 PM »
A bit like anyone “caught out” by a dog alert criticising it.

criticising it in what way.......the alerts have no evidential value or reliability,....that isnt criticism its a fact.

What I have noticed is that both Harrison and Grime made their statements in english......so how much did the PJ actually understand them.....I think they genuinely believed that the alerts were reliable re cadaver....a mistake that started their suspicion re the mccanns

Offline Robittybob1

« Reply #929 on: November 19, 2018, 05:19:06 PM »
criticising it in what way.......the alerts have no evidential value or reliability,....that isnt criticism its a fact.

What I have noticed is that both Harrison and Grime made their statements in english......so how much did the PJ actually understand them.....I think they genuinely believed that the alerts were reliable re cadaver....a mistake that started their suspicion re the mccanns
Can you state there was no cadaver?  How do you place the odds of there being the past presence of a cadaver to their being no past presence of a cadaver?
Moderation