Author Topic: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?  (Read 34578 times)

Offline Carana

Re: Can the UK's lost fishing industry be recovered post Brexit?
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2016, 01:46:14 PM »
What is shown, is the system is open to abuse.

Also, you can't just blame the EU for this mess, which Brexiters love to do.

All systems are open to abuse.... and there's always a different perspective to consider. Whoever is right or wrong isn't always clearcut nor absolute.

An issue (for me, whatever the subject) is the role of some media outlets in the "heart v head" propaganda war.

stephen25000

« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »
All systems are open to abuse.... and there's always a different perspective to consider. Whoever is right or wrong isn't always clearcut nor absolute.

An issue (for me, whatever the subject) is the role of some media outlets in the "heart v head" propaganda war.

I am in complete accord with what you said Carana.

What I have seen again and again, reminiscent of Orwell's Animal Farm; is the premise that British is good, and EU is bad.

Offline G-Unit

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2016, 02:42:06 PM »
What is shown, is the system is open to abuse.

Also, you can't just blame the EU for this mess, which Brexiters love to do.

Every system is open to abuse. I don't know if Brexiters love to blame the EU; cite?

What seems clear to me is that Britain handed over around 4/5 of all the fish off Western Europe under the Common Fisheries Policy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Fisheries_Policy#Criticism

For that the EU and the British Government share the blame.

Read and abide by the forum rules.
Result = happy posting.
Ignore and break the rules
Result = edits, deletions and unhappiness
http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?board=2.0

Offline John

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 02:46:50 PM »
Someone mentioned the issue of a massive Dutch trawler the other day.

I've tried to look into that.

That Dutch trawler, the Cornelis Vrolijk, flies under a UK flag and is registered in Hull.

I can understand the argument that fishermen perceived the situation to be unfair, but I still don't understand how the situation was the fault of the EU if a company in one country decides to set up a subsidiary in another country for commercial purposes.

You just forgot to mention the little fact that this trawler offloads all its catch of fish caught in British waters in Ijmuiden, an immense port near Amsterdam, Holland, for the benefit of the Dutch.

Dutch super-trawler Cornelius Vrolijk (pictured) gets 23 per cent of the entire English fishing quota.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:38:24 PM by John »
A malicious prosecution for a crime which never existed. An exposé of egregious malfeasance by public officials.
Indeed, the truth never changes with the passage of time.

Offline Carana

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
What the links seem to show is the lack of support by the British Government for the UK fishing industry and the support given by the Irish Government to the building of a super trawler. What either have to do with Brexit I can't quite work out.

If one only retained the headline in the Daily Wail (not the only misleading outlet) in some recess of the brain's long-term memory centre, supported by "confirmation" in subsequent articles over the EU... :

EU lets one Dutch ship net A QUARTER of England's fishing quota ...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821284/EU-lets-one-Dutch-ship-net-QUARTER-England-s-fishing-quota-Holland-holds-23-permits.html

Offline Carana

« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 03:05:37 PM »
You just forgot to mention the little fact that this trawler offloads all its catch of fish caught in British waters in Ijmuiden, an immense port near Amsterdam, Holland, for the benefit of the Dutch.

Dutch super-trawler Cornelius Vrolijk (pictured) gets 23 per cent of the entire English fishing quota.

Erm....

John, It might be worth reading the links to the articles that I posted... to the bottom.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 03:10:01 PM by Carana »

Offline Carana

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »

But Stewart Harper, managing director of the North Atlantic Fishing Company, the English subsidiary of the Dutch firm which owns the Cornelis Vrolijk, insisted there is no British market for the low-value fish he is selling abroad.

He added: ‘Although we are part of a Dutch-owned European group we operate two offices in the UK and we provide work for 55 British fishermen domiciled in the UK and eight people in our offices and have an annual wage bill in excess of £2million. We pay UK corporation tax on any profits we make and all of the other costs of UK establishment.’

A Defra spokesman said: ‘We value our local inshore fishing communities - in 2014 we increased their potential catch by 720 tonnes and continue to take steps to maximise use of the UK’s quota.

‘Any company applying to fish our quota must demonstrate a clear economic link to this country and all large UK flagged vessels, the great majority of which are UK crewed, make their catches in offshore waters that cannot be reached by local inshore fishermen.

‘We are currently working with devolved administrations on reviewing the economic value of all UK flagged vessels to ensure we get best value for our economy.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821284/EU-lets-one-Dutch-ship-net-QUARTER-England-s-fishing-quota-Holland-holds-23-permits.html#ixzz4DpHqyPPn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Small British fishing vessels make up 80 per cent of the English fleet - but have just 4 per cent of the quota.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2821284/EU-lets-one-Dutch-ship-net-QUARTER-England-s-fishing-quota-Holland-holds-23-permits.html#ixzz4DpINIlFq

When the vessel returns to port, cranes hoist the massive catch from the huge boat and dump it, box after box, on the dockside. This isn’t small fry. Its latest 2,500-ton catch was worth about £500,000.

As I watched this process a few days ago, there was no doubt I was observing an impressive example of industrialised fishing.

Beside me, lorries lined up to take away piles of packed fish. Each took 26-ton cargos, destined to end up in the markets and shops of Egypt, Nigeria and Japan. ‘None of it goes to Europe,’ said one driver.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854348/One-Dutch-trawler-gets-quarter-England-s-entire-fish-quota-English-fishermen-allowed-two-crates-worth-50.html#ixzz4DpMKFi6n

Crucially, when Britain negotiated entry to Europe, it won a poor deal that allowed French fleets, for instance, to take a far larger slice of stocks in the Channel.

Moreover, small-scale vessels – those under ten metres (30ft) in length – did not have to record landings at the time.

So although making up more than three-quarters of the British fishing fleet, they were belatedly given just four per cent of the national quota.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2854348/One-Dutch-trawler-gets-quarter-England-s-entire-fish-quota-English-fishermen-allowed-two-crates-worth-50.html#ixzz4DpMey9gu

Erm, yes, SMALL fishing boats. However, the UK has 13% of the EU sea space, but has 30% of the quota.

How are these small businesses going to survive?

Offline Carana

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2016, 04:02:13 PM »
"...The  5,000 small boats operated by the traditional UK fishing families are increasingly marginalised – holding just 4 per cent of the entire UK quota between them."

A question (and I don't have the answer). I'm wondering if mackerel, herring, scad and blue whiting are normally trawled close to shore by small fishing boats.

One article, to which I can no longer easily locate the link, stated (or certainly intimated, from memory) that the this behemoth trawled (and processed) deep sea fish. If that's accurate, and if it is accurate that different types of fish are subject to different quota calculations, then it would be misleading to make a blanket statement that this trawler snatched up much of the quota on all fish / crustaceans.

The Wiki entry doesn't fully answer my question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Fisheries_Policy

Offline Miss Taken Identity

« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 05:52:45 PM »
The scaremongering continues.

Yes it goes on  and on... EU countries have recieved heavy subsidies not only with fishing but look at the french farmers- unfair competition!
Looking at the EU... or you could look beyond it  like Russia, China, Japan, Australasia, Africa and Canada...oh wow the world looks bigger. massive markets to tap into! We need a strong government and a suportive, hard working, people  we need out pride back and get that fighting mentality back. Get the PC brigade and the scroungers  an island to waft about in.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:07:54 AM by John »
'Never underestimate the power of stupid people'... George Carlin

Offline Carana

« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 06:02:05 PM »
Yes it goes on  and on... EU countries have recieved heavy subsidies not only with fishing but look at the french farmers- unfair competition!
Looking at the EU... or you could look beyond it  like Russia, China, Japan, Australasia, Africa and Canada...oh wow the world looks bigger. massive markets to tap into! We need a strong government and a suportive, hard working, people  we need out pride back and get that fighting mentality back. Get the PC brigade and the scroungers  an island to waft about in.

Tap into? There is already established trade with them.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 01:08:55 AM by John »

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »
Tap into? There is already established trade with them.

Oh I was under the impression we were all going to die because we voted brexit and everything we do depended on EU....TSK silly me.  Yeah we can do more business with those countries, isn't that lovely... and begin to think about being self sufficient in food production.

Offline Carana

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
Oh I was under the impression we were all going to die because we voted brexit and everything we do depended on EU....TSK silly me.  Yeah we can do more business with those countries, isn't that lovely... and begin to think about being self sufficient in food production.

A small island nation self-sufficient in food production? Try explaining that one to anyone who lived through WW2 and didn't go through immense hardship...

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
I am in complete accord with what you said Carana.

What I have seen again and again, reminiscent of Orwell's Animal Farm; is the premise that British is good, and EU is bad.

Stephen , a lot of Brexits are not happy with EU and UK governments we want a change of how we are governed this is a start...

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2016, 06:24:26 PM »
A small island nation self-sufficient in food production? Try explaining that one to anyone who lived through WW2 and didn't go through immense hardship...

The immense hardship was mainly due to spending money on war.

It can be done, we have the  means to do it... and not forgetting we still have other countries for importing and exporting  8((()*/

Offline Carana

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2016, 06:28:28 PM »
The immense hardship was mainly due to spending money on war.

It can be done, we have the  means to do it... and not forgetting we still have other countries for importing and exporting  8((()*/

Have you examined the economics of the options?