Author Topic: The locked front door versus the unlocked rear patio door issue.  (Read 25544 times)

Offline Benice

Re: The locked front door versus the unlocked rear patio door issue.
« Reply #120 on: May 29, 2014, 01:44:44 AM »
What and he signed it without seeing a translation? As a professional doctor he signed something official like a police statement without reading it back or having it read to back to him in his mother tongue? If we are to believe that, and it's stretching credulity to do so, why not put out a correction AFTER the files were released?

Do you think they would have not protested when made arguidos that the evidence in their statements, which formed part of the basis for them being Arguido's, wasn't seen by them in English before they signed it?

Are we also expected to believe that their lawyer under that phase didn't read their statements with them and ask them if they said it or not?

Please.

At that first interview Gerry wasn't sitting there as a 'professional doctor' he was a distraught father traumatised by the fact that his beloved daughter had been abducted.  He was in bits.

His statement was not given to him in English so that the could read it, it was read out to him by an interpretor at the interpretor's pace.   After hours of interrogation, and being physically and mentally exhausted it is highly likely that he was in no state to notice anything untoward at that time.   If at some later stage he was given a written record in English of what he said it would be at that point he realised that there were errors in the statement - which he then rectified at his next interview.   The statement he signed was in Portuguese not English.

The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.
                                               Henrique Monteiro, chief editor, Expresso, Portugal

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #121 on: May 29, 2014, 01:56:57 AM »
At that first interview Gerry wasn't sitting there as a 'professional doctor' he was a distraught father traumatised by the fact that his beloved daughter had been abducted.  He was in bits.

His statement was not given to him in English so that the could read it, it was read out to him by an interpretor at the interpretor's pace.   After hours of interrogation, and being physically and mentally exhausted it is highly likely that he was in no state to notice anything untoward at that time.   If at some later stage he was given a written record in English of what he said it would be at that point he realised that there were errors in the statement - which he then rectified at his next interview.   The statement he signed was in Portuguese not English.

I would rather let the people who were there say what actually happened. The 2nd statement was a week later not the next day. A week is a long time to think things over especially about abductor Tannerman. 5A now unlocked, door has moved. OMG Tannerman is inside 5A. I suppose people are really easily manipulated  8-)(--)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:59:09 AM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Benice

« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2014, 02:01:44 AM »
I would rather let the people who were there say what actually happened. The 2nd statement was a week later not the next day. A week is a long time to think things over especially about abductor Tannerman. 5A now unlocked, door has moved. OMG Tannerman is inside 5A  8-)(--)

We haven't been told what Gerry said when he changed his statement  - so once again people are speculating on only half of a story.
The notion that innocence prevails over guilt – when there is no evidence to the contrary – is what separates civilization from barbarism.    Unfortunately, there are remains of barbarism among us.    Until very recently, it headed the PJ in Portimão. I hope he was the last one.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2014, 02:08:37 AM »
We haven't been told what Gerry said when he changed his statement  - so once again people are speculating on only half of a story.

Read the statements and compare the two. It's easy Benice. The statements are there. Come back and tell me when the door moves before his check in his 1st statement? Now look at the statement a week later. A week later he comes in the unlocked patio door so Tannerman can get inside and move the door. He puts himself on the other side of the road because Tannerman is now inside 5A committing a crime. Tannerman, Tannerman, Tannerman. Look at their website Tannerman! But they don't like Smithman  8(0(*
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 02:12:45 AM by pathfinder73 »
Smithman carrying a child in his arms checked his watch after passing the Smith family and the time was 10:03. Both are still unidentified 10 years later.

Offline Benice

« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2014, 02:32:12 AM »
Read the statements and compare the two. It's easy Benice. The statements are there. Come back and tell me when the door moves before his check in his 1st statement? Now look at the statement a week later. A week later he comes in the unlocked patio door so Tannerman can get inside and move the door. He puts himself on the other side of the road because Tannerman is now inside 5A committing a crime. Tannerman, Tannerman, Tannerman. Look at their website Tannerman! But they don't like Smithman  8(0(*

None of that has anything to do with my post and I fail to see what difference it makes to anything -re what side of the road he was standing.

Offline pathfinder73

« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2014, 02:34:34 AM »
None of that has anything to do with my post and I fail to see what difference it makes to anything -re what side of the road he was standing.

It does read the statements to see the changes.

Offline Albertini

« Reply #126 on: May 29, 2014, 08:06:58 AM »

Utter hogwash. The errors were given by himself. He said "Despite what he said in his previous statements, he states now and with certainty," he did not say "my previous statement was translated wrong and what he actually said was".

Online Eleanor

« Reply #127 on: May 29, 2014, 08:17:37 AM »

Does any of this matter?  The Summaries and Statements are never going to be tested in Court.  The McCanns were panicked and confused, and the language barrier seriously didn't help.
And if, God forbid, a body is found, which I doubt, then the abductor disposed of Madeleine for fear of DNA from direct contact.
Although I can't actually see the abductor digging while all of those people were about, searching on waste land, which would have been the obvious place to look.  Even disturbed soil would have been obvious.
And as for who used which door when, this is actually irrelevant.

Offline jassi

« Reply #128 on: May 29, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
Does any of this matter?  The Summaries and Statements are never going to be tested in Court. The McCanns were panicked and confused, and the language barrier seriously didn't help.
And if, God forbid, a body is found, which I doubt, then the abductor disposed of Madeleine for fear of DNA from direct contact.
Although I can't actually see the abductor digging while all of those people were about, searching on waste land, which would have been the obvious place to look.  Even disturbed soil would have been obvious.
And as for who used which door when, this is actually irrelevant.

Panicked -Yes. Confused - No.. IMO
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Carana

« Reply #129 on: May 29, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
Utter hogwash. The errors were given by himself. He said "Despite what he said in his previous statements, he states now and with certainty," he did not say "my previous statement was translated wrong and what he actually said was".

No one knows what he actually said. He may well have pointed out that there was a mistake. How that gets phrased is up to the police officer. 

Offline jassi

« Reply #130 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:30 AM »
No one knows what he actually said. He may well have pointed out that there was a mistake. How that gets phrased is up to the police officer.

And equally, he may not.
I believe everything. And l believe nothing.
I suspect everyone. And l suspect no one.
I gather the facts, examine the clues... and before   you know it, the case is solved!"

Or maybe not -

OG have been pushed out by the Germans who have reserved all the deck chairs for the foreseeable future

Offline Brietta

« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:19 AM »
Which abductor would that be? The "I am not an abductor" seen by Jane Tanner, smelly bin man, Beatle man, dead tractor man, or the abductor for whom there is yet no credible evidence?

“Which abductor would that be?”

The actual abductor responsible for abducting Madeleine McCann will do me fine whether it be one of the people you mention or another we know nothing about. 

I am content that with the combined experience and expertise of the current PJ team and NSY this investigation is the closest we have been to him ~ her ~ or them ~ for seven long years. 

Everyone who ‘seeks the truth’ should be happy about that.
"All I'm going to say is that we've conducted a very serious investigation and there's no indication that Madeleine McCann's parents are connected to her disappearance. On the other hand, we have a lot of evidence pointing out that Christian killed her," Wolter told the "Friday at 9"....

Offline Benice

« Reply #132 on: May 29, 2014, 10:13:28 AM »

That  statement gives no clue as to why Gerry corrected his statement.  Unless we know what the reason was - we can only speculate. 

Its apparent imo that there had been confusion about the doors during interview(s) with the PJ as it is mentioned by a UK police officer in JT's rogatory statement - and the reason why she suggested that they describe the patio door as the 'poolside' door and the front door as 'the roadside door' was clearly to prevent a recurrence of that previous confusion.

Knowing that Gerry's change of statement was about those doors, then IMO to claim that a misunderstanding of what he said during that first interview in relation to the doors could not possibly be the reason why he needed to correct the statement, is unrealistic.