Thanks. Someone walking south along westside pavement of Rua Martins can (1) fork right onto the diagonal path to supermarket carpark, or can (2) cross Rua Martins to eastside pavement (because westside pavement soon ends) and continue to the junction at the lower end of Rua Martins. Which way would instinctively be chosen?
Also if someone goes on the second option and is now walking down eastside pavement and arrives at that road junction at southeast corner of supermarket, which road is more downhill - fork left or turn right?
The westside pavement is continuous, so the decision tree is somewhat different.
First, I can't see any reason to believe Madeleine was familiar with the path that forks right towards Baptista's front (west) entrance.
It brings into question as to whether she was familiar with Baptista's eastern entrance on Martin's, e.g. being taken there on her way to or from the Mini Club. Again, I have seen nothing to suggest this. In any case, Baptista shut at 8 that night, so even if she tried that, there was no way in.
That suggests a path downhill beyond Baptista to the junction there. Left is downhill again, right is nearly flat until close to the end. Once again, I have seen nothing to suggest Madeleine was familiar with the route to the right, so it seems unlikely.
The route to the left was one she almost certainly was familiar with. Before the short cut to the ÒC 24 hour reception was discovered, the obvious route was down Martins, turn left onto Rua Direita and walk to the OC.
I have not seen confirmation of this in the files, but if that was not the route taken initially, I cannot see anything else making sense.
The Mini Club was where Madeleine was taken by her parents, where Madeleine had fun with other children of her own age, where she was looked after by grown-ups, and where her parents would come to get her and take her home.
I am not having any problems per se with the route so far.