Author Topic: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?  (Read 118818 times)

0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mercury

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #360 on: October 10, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »
Your second question was unanswerable, I suggest you re-read it and re-phrase it if you would like an answer.
Oh I see

Is that because I used the word duty? My apologies, but that is the impression I got when you said you would continue pointing out others "lack of empathy"... As if it is some kind of "moral requirement" or else...fill in the blanks

You are not in any position to either dictate or moralise...you've no real foundation


« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:28:28 PM by mercury »

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #361 on: October 10, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »
I am perfectly able to imagine how I would feel if my child disappeared from her bed, thank you. What I can't imagine is how I would feel if it was due to me leaving three children under 5 in an unlocked apartment on holiday while I went out to eat.
No one is askng you to imagne that as it is quite immaterial to the issue of your empathy or lack thereof with the parents behaviour and feelings in the immediate aftermath of discovering their child missing.  Leaving the kids alone prior to the disappearance has litte bearing on their behaviour immediately afterwards, such as using their child's activity book to note down a timelne.  In any case you don't have to condone their leaving of the kids alone in order to imagine how guilty and upset you would feel on discovering one of them missing.

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #362 on: October 10, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »
Oh I see

Is that because I used the word duty? My apologies, but that is the impression I got when you said you would continue pointing out others "lack of empathy"... As if it is some kind of "moral requirement" or else...fill in the blanks

You are not in any position to either dictate or moralise...you've no real foundation
In your opinion, which does not interest me very much, sorry.

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #363 on: October 10, 2015, 09:44:27 PM »
from what I can see the sceptics feel no sympathy whatsoever towards the mcccanns....and I just do not understand how anyone could feel like that

Offline mercury

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #364 on: October 10, 2015, 09:50:18 PM »
In your opinion, which does not interest me very much, sorry.

I commented on your post which seemed to take such umbrage at someone not having empathy, I gave you a valid reason why someone might not, that's all, and do I look like I'm particularly bothered if my opinions interest you or not? No need for apologies, your position is perfectly clear, if you don't have empathy then you should etc etc

You and others here should get their heads around the issue, if you have suspicions then empathy can but normally doesn't come into it, it's not rocket science and neither does it mean that people are incapable of empathy....your and others failed game is known on this and other fronts
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:57:19 PM by mercury »

stephen25000

  • Guest
Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #365 on: October 10, 2015, 09:53:06 PM »
from what I can see the sceptics feel no sympathy whatsoever towards the mcccanns....and I just do not understand how anyone could feel like that

Do you have empathy for Amaral ?

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #366 on: October 10, 2015, 09:55:24 PM »
Do you have empathy for Amaral ?

absolutely not...nor sympathy either...do you have any sympathy for the mccanns

Alfred R Jones

  • Guest
Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #367 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:44 PM »
I commented on your post which seemed to take such umbrage at someone not having empathy, I gave you a valid reason why someone might not, that's all, and do I look like I'm particularly bothered if my opinions interest you or not? No need for apologies, your position is perfectly clear, if you don't have empathy then you should etc etc

You and others here should get their heads around the issue, if you have suspicions then empathy can but normally doesn't come into it, it's not rocket science and neither does it mean that people are incapable of empathy....your and others failed game is known on this and other fronts
I have neither taken umbrage at a lack of empathy nor issued instructions that anyone should have it.  I have simply highlighted a lack of empathy as an explanation for why certain people on this forum are unable to understand why theMcCanns and their friends behaved as they did.  I hope that's clear now.

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #368 on: October 10, 2015, 10:09:52 PM »
I have neither taken umbrage at a lack of empathy nor issued instructions that anyone should have it.  I have simply highlighted a lack of empathy as an explanation for why certain people on this forum are unable to understand why theMcCanns and their friends behaved as they did.  I hope that's clear now.

I would counter that it is empathy that causes some people not to understand why they did what they did.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline mercury

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #369 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:14 PM »
I have neither taken umbrage at a lack of empathy nor issued instructions that anyone should have it.  I have simply highlighted a lack of empathy as an explanation for why certain people on this forum are unable to understand why theMcCanns and their friends behaved as they did.  I hope that's clear now.

But that assumes the parents are innocent, my point was, again, that those that thnk they might not be, don't have to feel empathy....do you feel empathy for people who you suspect

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #370 on: October 10, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »
I would counter that it is empathy that causes some people not to understand why they did what they did.

you are abusing your position as a moderator

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #371 on: October 10, 2015, 10:21:53 PM »
you are abusing your position as a moderator

No I am not, when members make crass statements about the dead they deserve censure.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline Mr Gray

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #372 on: October 10, 2015, 10:23:25 PM »


I never said she deserved it...she certainly brought her problems onto herself by her abusive tweets,,
it is on record she had a history of mental illness
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:44:21 AM by Eleanor »

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #373 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:58 PM »
I never said she deserved it...she certainly brought her problems onto herself by her abusive tweets,,
it is on record she had a history of mental illness

There is a big difference between being mentally ill in the past and being mentally ill. To imply otherwise is placing an unwarranted stigma on mental illness.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.

Offline slartibartfast

Re: Are the McCanns too sensitive to alternative points of view?
« Reply #374 on: October 10, 2015, 10:29:05 PM »
what crass statement did I make...Brenda had a history of mental illness...you are abusing your position as a moderator,

I suggest you desist, there is ample precedent of what happens if you abuse moderators.
“Reasoning will never make a Man correct an ill Opinion, which by Reasoning he never acquired”.