Which was made to me and I explained that I couldn't empathise with the McCanns because I don't know what happened that night. The McCanns claim that they do know what happened; a window and shutter were opened and their child was taken. If true, that's awful and I could empathise, but what if it's not true? Then they have knowledge which I don't have, and without it how can I understand how they felt? It's possible to empathise with them only if you believe them.
the key phrase there is "I don't know". As you don't know, and as you have no empathy for them, the best course of action IMO is to give them the benefit of the doubt and keep your snide remarks about their actions to yourself. You may be right to doubt the McCanns and they may deserve your insinuations and suspicions, on the other hand thereis a very strong and real possibility that you are wrong, in which case that makes you (and all those who publicly voice their doubts) look both foolish and quite frankly rather unpleasant. Your choice of course, my choice to keep on voicing this opinion. In any case I know I can continue to do so, safe in the knowledge that you are not in any way sensitive to such criticisms, and instead seem to rather relish them.